Aarghhh - the HDV capture bug is NOT fixed in VP9

Christian de Godzinsky wrote on 5/12/2009, 11:53 AM
Shame on you SCS!!!

This has been a know issue for ages, and nobody at SCS cares to fix it!

HDV is not still dead. I'll bet SCS has been putting all the eggs in the AVCHD basket, and forgot (or completely neglected) this "small cosmetic error". Come on, for many of us it is real problem. Including me. Causes LOTS of stupid unnecessary work to correct manually for these stupid capture errors... I have better things to do - like real video editing, but not patching someones sloppy code...

HDV clips captured with the scene detection are just garbage at the end of every clip. EVERY already properly shot scene must manually be edited by removing the last 6 frames. At least in PAL land thats the length of missing audio at the clip end, and at least one or two of the last frames have the video garbled.

How come a PROFESSIONAL software can have such a recognized error - from version to version???

I am really disappointed that SCS does not take such easily repeatable errors seriously and iron them out. IT can't be that hard. But it seems that the priority of this problem on the (long?) list of bug fixes, was never too high. Maybe it tells us something about the company culture or the way of thinking. Why bother if not that many are whining about it...

I had big hopes that SCS would have finally addressed this - but no! Does anyone remember since when have we been plagued with this problem? I opt that it has been there at least since V6 (my first Vegas).

At least a kind sould could write a script that removes the last 6 frames from every selected HDV-based clip on the timeline. That would probably not bee too difficult for someone skilled in the art? Anyone? You would be remebered in my evening prayers for many weeks to come ;)

Christian

WIN10 Pro 64-bit | Version 1903 | OS build 18362.535 | Studio 16.1.2 | Vegas Pro 17 b387
CPU i9-7940C 14-core @4.4GHz | 64GB DDR4@XMP3600 | ASUS X299M1
GPU 2 x GTX1080Ti (2x11G GBDDR) | 442.19 nVidia driver | Intensity Pro 4K (BlackMagic)
4x Spyder calibrated monitors (1x4K, 1xUHD, 2xHD)
SSD 500GB system | 2x1TB HD | Internal 4x1TB HD's @RAID10 | Raid1 HDD array via 1Gb ethernet
Steinberg UR2 USB audio Interface (24bit/192kHz)
ShuttlePro2 controller

Comments

eVoke wrote on 5/12/2009, 12:58 PM
I'm sort of confused with this one -
I purchased a Canon XH A1 and Sony Vegas Pro 8 within weeks of each other and I haven't had any problems capturing HDV from tape in to the PC.
Now I've run in to problems capturing LIVE HDV from the XH A1 to the PC via firewire.
blink3times wrote on 5/12/2009, 1:09 PM
It happens with some cams and not others. My HV20 captures with no issues while my HC3 has the scenes split consistently 3 frames late. I don't know who is at fault but I do know there are others with this issue.... and yes... it is irritating. Scene splitting with HDVsplit works fine so I know it isn't the cam.
johnmeyer wrote on 5/12/2009, 1:16 PM
I have not yet captured with V9. However, last month I captured an entire fashion show from my FX1 (HDV) directly to laptop (with the tape running as backup). The connections were solid, and I had scene detection turned off. Despite this, I ended up with several files for each section of the concert, and at least one GOP of frames lost at each file transition. My main audio (from the soundboard) was on this camera, so I had to make it work. When I put the tape in, and captured a few seconds around the interruption, it captured perfectly.

As usual, no background processes running, yada yada.

So, this is definitely a disappointment if they didn't spend some development time to fix these long-standing HDV capture problems.

However, if V9 can now have footage capture by HDV Split that recognized by the Sony plugin (rather than the MainConcept HDV plugin), then that will be a sufficient workaround. The problem in the past is that when you capture with HDV Split, the result is often read by the legacy MainConcept HDV reader, and the timeline performance is 1/5 of what it is when the Sony playback DLL is used.

blink3times wrote on 5/12/2009, 1:24 PM
"So, this is definitely a disappointment if they didn't spend some development time to fix these long-standing HDV capture problems."

This I will agree with you on John. I have always said that the HDV capture utility is weak, lacking and needs work. The last time I brought this up however, I was told by Spot I think it was that HDV was dead and it would be a waste of money to spend time on it.
JJKizak wrote on 5/12/2009, 1:33 PM
I always used Cineform for capturing and have had no problems.
JJK
NickHope wrote on 5/12/2009, 1:54 PM
yeah it's pathetic that they haven't sorted it but but be pragmatic and use hdvsplit. it works.
Lou van Wijhe wrote on 5/12/2009, 2:10 PM
Nick,

I have exactly the same anomaly as Christian. I considered HDVSplit for scene detection but I read several times that these files give problems in Vegas. Did you ever notice this?

Lou
blink3times wrote on 5/12/2009, 2:31 PM
I use HDVsplit all the time in Vegas with no issues. I did have them once upon a time but since I changed the way I capture, I have no issues.

I capture the tape as a whole (no scene detect) with no audio or preview, then I use HDVsplit's scene detect for files option (with audio sync switch OFF) to divide up the tape on the drive. Everything works fine this way for BOTH my hdv cams.
Tattoo wrote on 5/12/2009, 7:50 PM
Vegas Capture was also off by a few frames on HDV from my HC1. Using HDVsplit to capture first without scene detect & then a second pass on the mega file to split it by scenes has worked like a champ. The second pass is very quick, so minimal hassle.

Brian
Christian de Godzinsky wrote on 5/13/2009, 2:29 AM
OK,

This is the reason I got HDVSplit, what did you think? So now what happens is:

I have to patch a crippled Pro software's BASIC FUNCTIONALTY (as capturing actually IS) - with an 3rd party hobbyists piece of software that is of version 0.77 and does not work either, unless you FIST capture the whole tape and then later split it into scenes. Aaarghh I say!!! Needless to say Vegas has sometimes a hard time swallowing these clips without hickups. Have not still tried on VP9, though.

This is not very professional, but gets the work done. Albeit with some remarkable EXTRA trouble, with EXTRA time and hard disk space spent...

My critisism IS that SCS knows about this crippled HDV capture - and DOES NOTHING to fix it - from MAJOR version to MAJOR version. That is really BAD.

Yes - I am somewhat MAD but also very dissappointed. This is not professionalism at its best, I would have expected from the guys in Madison a better moral.

SCS is neglecting "smaller" problems and emphasizing on NEW features that actually SELLS better (new products) - at least to NEW customers.

No-one of us would probably just PAY for an upgrade that ONLY has all bugs fixed (or would we ?), since most of us assume that they should be ironed out on SCS's exponse, because THEY made the errors.

But now we PAY for a new version, with the renewed hope that some irritating and frustrating known bugs gets fixed. But NO - we just get new features, and at least a part of us just gives a damn them. Even if we now PAYED for the upgrade - we did not get the errors fixed... AArghh I say.

I would like people to chime in that has this HDV capture error, just for the statistics. Maybe SCS would then listen???

How many have struggeld with this?

I am capturing HDV material from an SONY HDV-HC1E. A Sony product that does not play too well with a - Sony product. I have a bunch of 100 1-hour cassettes I need to process during the summer, clip by clip. Any extra minute or hour pre project is really a disaster. Whe simply I sould be able to capture from the CAM directly an neatly (with scenes split) into the time line. But NOT with Vegas 7, 8 nor 9!!! AArghh I say.

Christian

WIN10 Pro 64-bit | Version 1903 | OS build 18362.535 | Studio 16.1.2 | Vegas Pro 17 b387
CPU i9-7940C 14-core @4.4GHz | 64GB DDR4@XMP3600 | ASUS X299M1
GPU 2 x GTX1080Ti (2x11G GBDDR) | 442.19 nVidia driver | Intensity Pro 4K (BlackMagic)
4x Spyder calibrated monitors (1x4K, 1xUHD, 2xHD)
SSD 500GB system | 2x1TB HD | Internal 4x1TB HD's @RAID10 | Raid1 HDD array via 1Gb ethernet
Steinberg UR2 USB audio Interface (24bit/192kHz)
ShuttlePro2 controller

NickHope wrote on 5/13/2009, 2:40 AM
I guess I've been lucky with HDVSplit. I capture 1080-50i or 1080-60i from my Sony Z1 with scene detection turned on and it works fine for me. I leave the preview off because that caused me some problems.
NickHope wrote on 5/13/2009, 2:44 AM
Oh, and for me the captured files have always got read by the Sony HDV reader, not the MainConcept one.