Comments

NickHope wrote on 8/8/2016, 5:37 AM
You need to install the Apple ProRes Quicktime Decoder 1.0. The "usual" link to it on Apple's own site is currently broken, and this might be related to the recent security alerts about Quicktime for Windows. A Google search brings up a some other places that the codec is hosted, such as this, but I can't vouch for their security.
AlesCZ wrote on 8/8/2016, 5:57 AM
Thank you for a quick response! This means that you have to go to my computer to install the mess, I could open the Apple ProRes?
JohnnyRoy wrote on 8/8/2016, 6:43 AM
Actually the Apple ProRes Quicktime Decoder 1.0.is quite old and no longer needed. ProRes support is now built into the base QuickTime. Just install QuickTime for Windows and you should be able to open the files.

Here is a link to the latest version from Apple's web site:

QuickTime 7.6 for Windows

~jr
NickHope wrote on 8/8/2016, 6:58 AM
Oops, thanks for the correction JR. There's plenty of misinformation about this on the net. Sorry to add to it.
AlesCZ wrote on 8/8/2016, 7:15 AM
Thank you for your ideas, but no success. With the original QuickTimeInstaller.exe not preview playback smooth. It's terrible. I went back to QuickTime 7.7.8 for Windows 10.exe(unofficial installer). Video preview for H.264 is again smooth.
In both cases, but I still can not open 4k mov. :(

I upload sample file for check: https://www.justbeamit.com/9mzcc or http://ge.tt/5dbedDd2

Thank you!
JohnnyRoy wrote on 8/8/2016, 1:01 PM
> "I upload sample file for check: "

That sample was helpful. That file is not Apple ProRes 422 4k, it is Apple ProRes 4444 4k and you are correct, Vegas Pro doesn't know how to open it.

I opened it without a problem in Final Cut Pro X on my Mac so there is nothing wrong with the file. Vegas Pro just doesn't support it.

~jr
AlesCZ wrote on 8/8/2016, 2:02 PM
Thank you so much for checking Johnny!. What is the solution? I bought Vegas Pro in the domain that it will work. This is a big disappointment and a lot of money spent for me :/
OldSmoke wrote on 8/8/2016, 2:32 PM
AlesCZ

ProRes is an Apple format and never well supported in the PC platform. Download the free Catalyst Browse software and see if it will transcode it to XAVC-Intra. XAVC-Intra is well supported in Vegas and opens will be read as 10bit too.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

Wolfgang S. wrote on 8/8/2016, 3:20 PM
That will not work. Not on the windows platform. Catalyst Prepare and for sure Catalyst Browse is not able to import ProRes at all. What you could do is to install the free Cineform codec (by installation of the free GoPro studio). Then import the clips in Resolve and transcode them to 10bit Cineform, what works great in Vegas also as 10bit. Another solution could be to use the paysoftware TMPGenc to transform to Cineform. Cineform had also a better playback behaviour in Vegas, compared to XAVC i. And I do not know any free XAVC encoder yet. So use Cineform.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

JohnnyRoy wrote on 8/8/2016, 6:25 PM
> "It does appear to do 4:4:4"

I would be careful. The file in question is 4:4:4:4! It carries an alpha channel. I would make sure that it can handle ProRes 4444 before paying any money on a conversion tool. That also means that converting it to CineForm would need to also carry an alpha channel.

~jr
rmack350 wrote on 8/8/2016, 7:54 PM
This might be opening a can of other worms, but if the OP bought V13 through the current offer: http://www.magix.com/us/specials/vegas/exclusive-welcome-offer/ then they'll be able to get a free upgrade to V14.

V14 has some form of native ProRes support, although it's not stated that 4444 4k is supported. So, no guarantees, but they should've taken that offer if possible.

The best idea would be to try to contact sales support and ask them if this will be supported. Don't ask tech support, ask sales. I don't think tech support is staffed.

Rob
Wolfgang S. wrote on 8/8/2016, 8:52 PM
At least he will be able to edit those files with Vegas Pro 13 now by converting the files to Cineform! If you see a better way how to do that please tell us Jonny. But you will not be able to import the ProRes footage in the Catalyst in the Windows world (only in the Mac world) and I know by now no other converter in Windows to XAVX-i (what would also be only 10bit 422). Beside that with Vegas Pro 13 you would have the luminance spread with ProRes anyway and is not able to decode ProRes with 10bit really (only with 8bit todsy).

What Vegas Pro 14 will deliver here is not known by now in detail, so I would think about another workflow that allows me to maintain 10bit. And that can be done via unvompressed, Cineform or XAVC-i today.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems