Blackmagic RAW support

Tony-Bell wrote on 8/6/2019, 12:01 AM

When will Vegas support Blackmagic RAW. The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K is one of the hottest cameras for video professionals and Vegas can not edit its best output option, Blackmagic RAW. Presently, we're forced to use Davinci Resolve 16, which, of course, supports Blackmagic RAW and has a great Raw workflow. Of course using Resolve as a primary editor leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. Vegas is infinitely easier to use, so we're hoping an update is in the works. I've been bragging on Vegas for too long to stop using it now.

Comments

PeteM wrote on 8/17/2019, 8:59 AM

I'm a Vegas user since v6 and just got a BMPPC 6K and want to know the same thing.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 8/17/2019, 9:44 AM

I have also ordered a Blackmagic Pocket 6K and would love to see some support for BRAW in Vegas. However, I am not sure if we can expect that in the near future, if at all. ProRes should work, but that is restricted to 4K DCI and UHD in that camera.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo

fr0sty wrote on 8/17/2019, 9:45 AM

The team has it on the roadmap, but there's a some more pressing performance and stability issues being addressed first, then they can move on to adding more features.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

wjauch wrote on 8/17/2019, 2:09 PM

Hope it doesn't take as long as support for Red Dragon which I think was 2 years. Latest Dragoncolor is AFAIK still not supported (I bought but have not installed Vegas 17 yet). Hopefully BM Raw won't take too long to get supported.

miriam-trosch wrote on 8/18/2019, 7:09 AM

I really hope magix prioritize this. BRAW is a big thing and with their newly released BMPCC's it's going to get common among filmmakers. Since there's no licensing involved it should be fairly easy to implement.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/se/developer/

Go go magix! :)

fr0sty wrote on 8/18/2019, 10:23 AM

While I'm sure it'll become a popular acquisition format, keep in mind that it isn't actually RAW. It compresses the video into YUV, which if you try to do green screen work with the footage, you'll notice how much it affects the image quality.

Last changed by fr0sty on 8/18/2019, 10:24 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Cleven-Brown wrote on 8/19/2019, 3:11 PM

Hmmm BRAW + Vegas 17 = Greatness. Vegas 17- BRAW = No bueno. I recall the days when Vegas supported every new codec before other NLEs. Those days are long gone. My question to Magix is when will BRAW have native support in any form or fashion? Vegas 17 is splendid in all forms of functionality with it's new improvements. But that means nothing if BRAW is not supported.

Tony-Bell wrote on 9/16/2019, 11:38 AM

Last year PC Magazine, a source I have trusted for years, referred to Vegas Pro as “the best entry-level program for learning the trade.”  This year, they called it “one of the best semi-professional NLE’s…”  What's going on here? I have been under the impression for years that Vegas Pro is a fully professional NLE, but that’s apparently not the word on the street.  I have happily used Vegas Pro, since the beginning and it never really bothered me that many of my colleagues had never heard of it.  I thought of it as sort of a secret weapon that gave me an advantage over my competition.  Vegas Pro always supported nearly all of the codecs out there, timeline performance has always been great, the audio options were unmatched, and there are so many other amazing features, but now it’s starting to bother me.  This week Adobe Premiere and Avid Media Composer both gained support for ProRes Raw and Blackmagic Raw, either natively or via plugin.  Those codecs are becoming the gold standard for professionals and Vegas Pro is alienating an entire generation of seasoned and budding professionals by not doing the same.  Magix needs to take this more seriously, or Vegas Pro will be relegated to vlogging and wedding videos.  In so many ways, Vegas is clearly the most versatile, intuitive and powerful NLE out there, regardless of who’s heard of it or not; so act like it!  Make compatibility with these raw codecs a priority or be prepared to lose even more market share.

fr0sty wrote on 9/16/2019, 1:34 PM

"This week Adobe Premiere and Avid Media Composer both gained support for ProRes Raw and Blackmagic Raw, either natively or via plugin. "

You said it right there. It's been a week. Not everyone is going to get support at the exact same time. Magix is aware of the desire for the format and other RAW formats as well.

Locking this thread, as it is a duplicate of: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/black-magic-raw--116186/#ca729884

Last changed by fr0sty on 9/16/2019, 1:48 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop: