BlueRay to DVD?

SWS wrote on 9/1/2013, 9:01 PM
I've always been late to the dance but this is the first time I've wanted to burn BR material to a standard DVD. I've heard it's possible to do but of course I"ll only be able to do maybe 15 mins or so I think.

Guess I need to know how to do it with Vegas. I have 12 and I've made a few attempts to do it from the timeline but I get the message that it's wants a BlueRay disc inserted and won't accept a regular DVD and that's pretty much where I'm stuck.
I have rendered some .m2ts AVCHD files but not sure what to do to get them onto DVD media.

Can someone give me a quick step by step tutorial?
Thanks!
mark

BOXX/APEXX S4
Motherboard: ASRock TAICHI
Intel Z690 Chipset Cores:16
CPU: Intel Core i9 12900KS Enhanced Performance Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
RAM: 64GB DDR5-4800 MHz (2 - 32GB DIMMS
Disks: 2.0TB SSD NVMe/PCIe 3.0/4.0 M.2 Drive
SSD: (4) 4TB
O/S: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit SP1

Comments

videoITguy wrote on 9/1/2013, 9:49 PM
The short answer for your situation - is DO what the software tells you to do - get a Blu-ray disc blank and place it in a Blu-ray burner.
Stop fooling around trying to make something that is not meeting the standards practice for creating either DVD or Blu-ray specified disc titles. In this case the software is pretty smart and leading you to identify to the correct workflow.
Steve Mann wrote on 9/1/2013, 11:30 PM
Use DVDA to make the .iso file then imgburn to burn the DVD. As long as your .iso file is under 4.3GB, then you're good to go. Note that not all Blu-Ray players can play HD videos from a DVD. But most will.
wwaag wrote on 9/1/2013, 11:34 PM
Don't know for sure, but I would suspect you probably can't do it in Vegas. Suggest you try tsMuxeR GUI (freeware). Input your m2ts files and select AVCHD disk as the output (not BluRay). I've done this many times with m2ts files from my Hapaugge HD PVR for programs recorded from DirecTV. Then use ImgBurn (also freeware) to burn the DVD. The caveat is that you will need a bluray player that supports AVCHD. For these types of questions, you might get better answers on http://www.videohelp.com/ . You can also download the software from their Tools section. Good luck.

wwaag

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

SWS wrote on 9/2/2013, 8:57 AM
Thanks all!
Yes doing it with a BR burner and disc is the best way to go for sure, but I hoped I could just test some short files with this method before I spend more money on gear.
And I always heard it wasn't a big deal to do in Vegas, guess it is...
mp

BOXX/APEXX S4

Kimberly wrote on 9/2/2013, 9:45 AM
If you have DVD-A 5.2 Build 124, you can burn a BD-5 or BD-9 (as they are sometimes called). This capability went away in Build 135. I wrote to SCS Support about this and they said they had to take it away due to a copyright issue.

But if you have DVD Build 124, here is the short version:

Render your video and audio files to a Blu-ray acceptable format from Vegas.
Open DVD-A 5.2 Build 124 and specify DVD media instead of Blu-ray.
Suggest using a DVD-RW for a test master.
Burn at a slow speed.

These disks play in my Sony BD player. That is about 2-3 years old now. Haven't tried them in my new Samsung BD player yet. Ironically, I can burn them in my laptop's onboard DVD burner, but I cannot play them! And I've heard they don't play in all players so the usefulness of such disks is limited for me.

I bought an external BD burner from Newegg which works better for my needs,

This is getting rather off-topic but I also loaded Virtual CloneDrive (free) and ImgBurn(free) and BurnAware (not free) and these are good tools when you need solutions that are outside DVD-A's core competence.

Regards (and happy Labor Day),

Kimberly

SWS wrote on 9/2/2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks Kimberly! Great info!

Looks like I have DVDA 5.2 build 133. So I guess it might not work? I did find a DVDA 5.0a but I guess that's too early?

May have to bite the proverbial at some point!

BOXX/APEXX S4

JohnnyRoy wrote on 9/2/2013, 10:34 AM
My Samsung Blu-ray player cannot play these disks reliably. It recognizes the disc and plays fine for a about 20 seconds and then starts to stutter badly to the point where it's unwatchable so I'll re-iterate what was previously said: Not all Blu-ray players can play these disks.

Don't waste too much time on it. Blu-ray burners are $89, Blu-ray media is $1. It's not worth playing around trying to get DVD media to work. (Your mileage may vary)

~jr
john_dennis wrote on 9/2/2013, 10:50 AM
Here is a thread where it is discussed a lot.
SWS wrote on 9/2/2013, 8:33 PM
Thanks everybody! Great info all 'round!

BOXX/APEXX S4

Jerry K wrote on 9/3/2013, 9:13 AM
When burning a blu-ray onto a DVD the read speed of a DVD does not support bit rates higher then 15Mbps. If you burn higher then 15mbps onto a DVD it might play intermittently or not at all.
Blu-ray Disc have a much higher bit rate.

Jerry K