BUG: Program Adds new Audio to Clips

christopher-s wrote on 9/12/2022, 2:09 AM

So I had this problem with Pro 19 and upgraded to 20 just to find it causing the same issue. Whenever I drag a video clip onto the timeline it adds about a quarter of a second of extra audio into the clip that isn't in the clip. The program is creating NEW audio inside of files on the timeline. After removing clips, deleting the files it creates when they are imported and dragging them back in, it does it again, but the new sound will be different. I went back and installed 17 and found there was no issue. It's as if the program is pulling audio from the clip and adding extra to the end. Why is it doing this and how do I stop it?

Edit: Pictures added for context. First one is how the clip is supposed to appear when imported to 17. Second is the same clip imported to 20 with the extra audio added by the program.

Comments

john_dennis wrote on 9/13/2022, 12:27 PM

@christopher-s

Upload a sample of the problem media to a cloud drive and share the link...

... on this forum for us to examine.

christopher-s wrote on 9/13/2022, 12:58 PM

@christopher-s

Upload a sample of the problem media to a cloud drive and share the link...

... on this forum for us to examine.

Did you mean like a video showing the error in action?

Let me know if you need more information.

fr0sty wrote on 9/13/2022, 1:23 PM

I think he's asking for a copy of one of the files that causes the problem, uploaded to google driver or dropbox, so we can try to import it on our end and see if it does the same thing, and try to find the reason why.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

christopher-s wrote on 9/13/2022, 1:25 PM

I think he's asking for a copy of one of the files that causes the problem, uploaded to google driver or dropbox, so we can try to import it on our end and see if it does the same thing, and try to find the reason why.

Ah, the issue is that it's not a specific file that has the problem. The program itself is causing the issue. It will do it to random audio clips at random points. Like if I save a project, close the program, reopen it later, a new clip will have the issue.

rraud wrote on 9/13/2022, 1:58 PM

Does the behavior exist with PCM audio file types or just lossy file formats? (MP3 for instance)

christopher-s wrote on 9/13/2022, 2:15 PM

Does the behavior exist with PCM audio file types or just lossy file formats? (MP3 for instance)

I'm not sure as I can't track when or to what it is going to do it to, but most of what I have noticed has happened with mp4 audio.

rraud wrote on 9/14/2022, 9:52 AM

Transcode the audio to a PCM file (typically a .wav file) and see if the issue remains.
FWIW, 'MP4' is am extension (and a container) . Many MP4 files use the AAC audio codec, but it could something else (same with the picture), usually AVC video).

Former user wrote on 9/14/2022, 10:36 AM

@christopher-s Hi, there's been a few posts about people getting noise at the end of a clip, inc myself, i know yours is slightly different, your's is actual audio not noise but in those other posts there's only a few people commenting also,

There's different suggestions as to why, 'is it the audio format', 'has the clip got a partial end frame' ... there doesn't seem to be a solid reason or solution, maybe partly because as you mention it's hard to reproduce, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't, it happens on some files but try to repeat the problem & it doesn't happen 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🙃

If i get noise at the end of a clip. reimporting it normally fixes it, but not always,

One person found a solution to their problem by moving the media to the main (C) drive from an external drive....

pierre-k wrote on 9/14/2022, 12:22 PM

This happens to me regularly with wav files. I record comments for videos. When editing, some parts suddenly fall out after a while, or the sound from another track starts to play in them in slow motion. Other times, some pieces will shift. It is somehow related if you zoom the timeline and scroll with it. The solution is to convert wav to flac and replace.

I'll upload a video sometime so you can see it.

Former user wrote on 9/14/2022, 3:31 PM

@christopher-s It just happened to me, not noise this time but a bit of audio from the rest of the clip, it's the sound of the router i was using, but you can see in the preview i'm not using it. This clip has the end trimmed off & to the right is a newly added different clip 🤷‍♂️

Funny thing is whilst switching to this screen & writing this it's gone away, 🤷‍♂️🥴

pierre-k wrote on 9/15/2022, 12:28 PM

apparently new topics are being created about the same thing

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-20-audio-source-changes-after-applying-time-compress--137220/#ca858284

Today I caught a problem with my WAV editing.

Conflicts with WAV music:

Symptoms:
- occurs sporadically and usually after a long time of editing a wav file and when zooming and scrolling the Timeline.
- some sections are randomly replaced by another part of the wav, and sometimes it happens that they are replaced, for example, by background music from another track.

What you see in the video:
- if you zoom out the event with the mouse wheel, you see something different than what is actually playing.
- a temporary workaround is to exit Vegas, for example by clicking on the Windows desktop and then coming back. In 90% of cases it will be fixed and you can hear what it has correctly.
- but after a short time the problem appears elsewhere and elsewhere.
- This happens with wav files.
- I have known this problem for years in older versions.
- a radical solution is to convert Wav to Flac and replace it permanently.

Has anyone else encountered this?

christopher-s wrote on 9/15/2022, 12:30 PM

Yeah I had never encountered the issue until 19. I've been working in 17 for now because it just keeps happening no matter what audio type. I have an open ticket about the issue but I've not heard anything since they asked for my system information for some reason.

christopher-s wrote on 9/20/2022, 8:38 PM

Update: Well after requesting my system information and sending it to them, Magix support has ghosted me.

I have been using these people for 10 years and they have only become worse and more combatitive as a company. Won't be buying from them again.

jetdv wrote on 9/21/2022, 9:05 AM

@christopher-s how do you know they're not just busy and working on the issue?

christopher-s wrote on 9/21/2022, 12:58 PM

@christopher-s how do you know they're not just busy and working on the issue?

1: Because it took 5 days with zero updates. Even, "Hey, we're sorry this is taking so long but this is a very strange issue we don't fully grasp. Please bare with us another day". Pure radio silence.

2: After posting this update I received this:

Pretty interesting. No, "let us know how that goes", no, "turns out we've encountered this issue before and here is a link to a series of trouble shooting steps you can follow", nothing. "Delete this thing, hope that helps, guh by".
 Best part: There is no Magix Low Latency 2016 on my computer.

I know because I've dealt with companies like this a million times. My first job was for one just like it. No concern for keeping the customer informed, no concern for the time they spend just waiting to hear back, no concern for the fact that I've spent money on a product that I can't use, and actively fight me on a refund.

pierre-k wrote on 9/21/2022, 4:32 PM

What exactly are you waiting for? If you write information about the error today and they will leave everything and only deal with you? Will they send you a repair tomorrow? Give them time and don't underestimate them. Some of the bugs in Vegas are definitely atypical. And for most users, unbelievable. But for some of us, those mistakes really happen, so finding the real reason is difficult.

It took 10 years to fix Vegas freezing when deleting an event on the fly.

So put your feet up, have a big coffee and take it easy.

christopher-s wrote on 9/21/2022, 4:34 PM

What exactly are you waiting for? If you write information about the error today and they will leave everything and only deal with you? Will they send you a repair tomorrow? Give them time and don't underestimate them. Some of the bugs in Vegas are definitely atypical. And for most users, unbelievable. But for some of us, those mistakes really happen, so finding the real reason is difficult.

It took 10 years to fix Vegas freezing when deleting an event on the fly.

So put your feet up, have a big coffee and take it easy.

"Sit back and take it easy while they take their sweet time figuring out a bug that is making the thing you paid them money for unusable."

Really?
No.

pierre-k wrote on 9/21/2022, 4:53 PM

I understand your hopelessness and disappointment. So I had such feelings for 10 years before the correction came.

JMacSTL wrote on 11/3/2022, 11:15 AM

I'd have initially guessed that the drive that you're either play back from, or rendering to, might be corrupted and need to be replaced, or defragmented. But, after upgrading to Vegas 20 recently myself, I've gotten this burst of noise issue at the end of a rendered file once, and fixed it by opening the WAV into SoundForge and fixing the end, but that's not a solution, just a fix.

@christopher-s are these files ones that you rendered yourself and brought back into Vegas or files that were supplied to you?

jmm

jmm in stl

Windows10 with Vegas 11 Pro (most recent build). Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz 3.90 GHz, 32GB ram, separate audio and video disks. Also Vegas 17 Pro on same system. GPU: NVDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER. Dynamic RAM preview=OFF.

christopher-s wrote on 11/3/2022, 1:45 PM

I'd have initially guessed that the drive that you're either play back from, or rendering to, might be corrupted and need to be replaced, or defragmented. But, after upgrading to Vegas 20 recently myself, I've gotten this burst of noise issue at the end of a rendered file once, and fixed it by opening the WAV into SoundForge and fixing the end, but that's not a solution, just a fix.

@christopher-s are these files ones that you rendered yourself and brought back into Vegas or files that were supplied to you?

jmm

It's just about any file. Ones I have previously rendered in Vegas, mp4, wav, mp3, never seems to matter. It's also a brand new SSD with a clean install of windows so it's not a hardware issue. Tech support had me going in circles, uninstalling, deleting folders, trying to figure out why Windows won't let me delete the folder, reinstalling, but it all went nowhere and had no effect. They don't know what causes the issue, refused to answer any of my questions, and just kept taking me in circles while making me wait a week at a time for a response, so I refunded Vegas 20. I went back to 17 because the problem still exists in 19 as well and despite knowing of the issue, their only solution at this point is for me to wipe my drive, start over, and just hope that the program is useable this time.

JMacSTL wrote on 11/3/2022, 2:49 PM

@christopher-s I agree that a brand new SSD wouldn't likely have the issues I'd listed. But I would recommend NOT using your boot drive to store any media; audio or video. Only Windows and the Vegas installation+plugins. Others here can chime in why this is important, but from experience, I know that it's pretty important. I use three separate drives for media: one each for video files, audio files, and SFX files. This way, no single drive has to work too hard. But at a minimum, I'd suggest a 2nd drive for your media. It can even be a USB3 or similar drive and doesn't necessarily have to be an internal SATA drive.

jmm in stl

Windows10 with Vegas 11 Pro (most recent build). Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz 3.90 GHz, 32GB ram, separate audio and video disks. Also Vegas 17 Pro on same system. GPU: NVDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER. Dynamic RAM preview=OFF.

christopher-s wrote on 11/3/2022, 3:44 PM

@christopher-s I agree that a brand new SSD wouldn't likely have the issues I'd listed. But I would recommend NOT using your boot drive to store any media; audio or video. Only Windows and the Vegas installation+plugins. Others here can chime in why this is important, but from experience, I know that it's pretty important. I use three separate drives for media: one each for video files, audio files, and SFX files. This way, no single drive has to work too hard. But at a minimum, I'd suggest a 2nd drive for your media. It can even be a USB3 or similar drive and doesn't necessarily have to be an internal SATA drive.

I use 3 drives. The main drive is just where I keep all my programs and the stuff I keep (music, pictures, etc). All media that goes into projects I am working on goes onto drive D, and drive E is my archive and backup.

ALEKSANDR-KUTUZOV wrote on 11/26/2022, 2:27 PM

I have the same problem. I am sure - this is an error of Vegas Pro. I have found that Voukoder plugin fix it for render. But playback during editing in Vegas Pro has this problem again and again.