can i run sony vegas pro 14 on a macbook pro 2016 version?

stewart.mcconnell wrote on 12/30/2016, 8:37 AM

so, i just recently got a macbook and sony vegas pro 14 but when i finally got down to trying to download it this little box says "you can't open the application "vegaspro14.exe" because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on macOS." but i have no idea what this means and if i can run the program, if you can help then please do, cheers

Comments

Aakaash wrote on 12/30/2016, 9:35 AM

Vegas pro is made to run on "Microsoft Windows". You can still use it on mac with VMWARE FUSION.

stewart.mcconnell wrote on 12/30/2016, 9:42 AM

Vegas pro is made to run on "Microsoft Windows". You can still use it on mac with VMWARE FUSION.

thank you, is this a software and is it free?

set wrote on 12/30/2016, 7:58 PM

'Magix' - not 'Sony'.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

astar wrote on 12/31/2016, 3:58 PM

I think some people dual boot their MACs to run vegas. That would likely allow GPU support as well, unlikely that VMware allows GPU support, that is an emerging thing in virtualization.

JohnnyRoy wrote on 1/2/2017, 7:03 AM

Sorry but I have to ask... if you have a new MacBook Pro why aren't you using Apple Final Cut Pro X? You will have a much better editing experience using native Mac applications and Final Cut Pro X is an excellent program for editing video on the Mac (and it's way cheaper too).

To answer your question: VMware Fusion is not free. You will also need a Windows license because you will need to install Windows inside of VMware. You can also use Parallels Desktop (which is not free) or VirtualBox which is free. All them them require a Windows license to use.

Using virtualization will not support the GPU as some have pointed out. For GPU support you need to use Apple Boot Camp to dual boot your Mac with Windows which also requires... you guessed it... a valid Windows license!

Trust me on this one. Download the 30-day free trail of Final Cut Pro X and see if you like it. That's what I've been using for over a year now since I switched to Mac and it's very much like Vegas Pro but it's native to the Mac so it runs much better on a MacBook Pro taking full advantage of the hardware / GPU on your Mac.

~jr

stewart.mcconnell wrote on 1/2/2017, 7:53 AM

Sorry but I have to ask... if you have a new MacBook Pro why aren't you using Apple Final Cut Pro X? You will have a much better editing experience using native Mac applications and Final Cut Pro X is an excellent program for editing video on the Mac (and it's way cheaper too).

To answer your question: VMware Fusion is not free. You will also need a Windows license because you will need to install Windows inside of VMware. You can also use Parallels Desktop (which is not free) or VirtualBox which is free. All them them require a Windows license to use.

Using virtualization will not support the GPU as some have pointed out. For GPU support you need to use Apple Boot Camp to dual boot your Mac with Windows which also requires... you guessed it... a valid Windows license!

Trust me on this one. Download the 30-day free trail of Final Cut Pro X and see if you like it. That's what I've been using for over a year now since I switched to Mac and it's very much like Vegas Pro but it's native to the Mac so it runs much better on a MacBook Pro taking full advantage of the hardware / GPU on your Mac.

~jr

I didn't know that this existed but I'll check it out

astar wrote on 1/2/2017, 10:18 AM

I thought this thread was moved off topic? We have one moderator that moved to off topic, and a Mac guy that moves it back to sell mac. lol

You can do what is being recommended, but if you did not know Final Cut existed, you may also not know that the Mac laptop hardware is way behind the times. The 460 Pro GPU in that 2016 Macpro has the performance of a Radeon 6970 from 2011.

460 Pro (mac 2016) - 16 Compute Units - 1800 GFLOPS

6790 (2011) - 24 Compute units - 2700 GFLOPS

Fury-x (2015) - 64 Compute Units - 8600 GFLOPs

The I7 is gimped for power saving reasons as well when compared to a desktop.

Do what you want, but know that Final Cut and Vegas use the same OpenCL to enhance performance. Which was the primary point of the OpenCL standard.