Can't capture from Canon HV20

LSHorwitz wrote on 4/7/2007, 8:58 AM
Using the latest Vegas 7.0d and trying to capture HDV from Canon HV20 camcorder.....capture fails / hangs from both the internal as weall as the external capture options......

Device shows up properly with a Microsoft AV/C driver in the Device Manager and captures flawlessly with freeware HDVSplit beta software.

Why does free HDVSplit beta software work so well and expensive, highly revised Vegas not work at all???

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank You.

Comments

BarryGreen wrote on 4/7/2007, 10:02 AM
No answer, other than to say that I captured successfully from an HV20 using Vegas 6. I don't have 7 yet, so I don't know if there's anything changed about 7 that causes it not to work, but it definitely works properly in Vegas 6.
UlfLaursen wrote on 4/7/2007, 10:07 PM
Hi,

You could try to capture using HDV Split

I was recommended this by others here and I use use it with my Sony FX7, but it should work with your Canon too. Its good and it's free :-)

Have you tried to capture from a 'plain' DV camcorder?

/Ulf

Wolfgang S. wrote on 4/8/2007, 1:22 AM
> Why does free HDVSplit beta software work so well and expensive, highly revised Vegas not work at all???

Only in the latest beta HDVSplit is able to work with the Canon camcorders. Vegas 7d was published before the HV20 was released - so maybe Vegas has not been adopted yet to the HV20. But I think that people have stated that the Canon A1 works with 7d.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

farss wrote on 4/8/2007, 1:30 AM
You cannot capture HDV with the external capture utility!

Can you get device control?

Bob.
OdieInAz wrote on 4/8/2007, 7:33 AM
I have the HV20 and shot some test footage in 24p. V7.0d captured just fine for me. You have to clck the other capture button, not the one you capture DV.
dat5150 wrote on 4/8/2007, 7:34 AM
What happened to Scenalyzer? It looks like he hasn't updated in over a year.
Guy Bruner wrote on 4/8/2007, 7:35 AM
I can capture from the HV20 using Vegas 7d external capture. Had a problem on the first capture where Vegas wouldn't import the files into the media pool but closing and reopening Vegas and pointing to the file folder with explorer solved that. I have not yet installed the Canon software so don't know if that might be causing you an interference.
farss wrote on 4/8/2007, 2:56 PM
One trap when capturing via the internal HDV capture. The utility may report that the transport has stopped e.g. the tape is at the end, however capturing has not stopped and the captured file names have not been updated.

You need to hit the Stop button and then close the capture window.

If you don't do this all manner of funky things will go wrong.

Bob.
24Peter wrote on 4/8/2007, 9:43 PM
The Canon software that ships with the HV20 is for still images only (including the camera driver). So that shouldn't affect video capture.

I'm specifically interested in HV20 HDV 24p capture and pulldown removal. Browsing the threads on this subject, it seems some people can capture HDV from the HV20 using Vegas 7 (apparently Barry can do it with ver 6 too) but it sounds definitively that Vegas cannot do automatic pulldown removal on Canon's 24p files. We have to wait for an update.
David Newman wrote on 4/8/2007, 10:15 PM
Will Connect HD work? We don't have the camera in house yet, although we have tested the pulldown removal from HV20 M2T files and it works fine. There should not be any capture issues.

David Newman
CTO, CineForm
http://cineform.blogspot.com/
BarryGreen wrote on 4/8/2007, 11:07 PM
>>it seems some people can capture HDV from the HV20 using Vegas 7 (apparently Barry can do it with ver 6 too) but it sounds definitively that Vegas cannot do automatic pulldown removal on Canon's 24p files.<<

Correct. You can capture its files using Vegas 6, but you cannot remove the pulldown. Really, the HV20's files are no different than an FX1 or Z1 or any other Sony/1080i files; the HV20 doesn't use the "24F" recording system of the XHA1 or XLH1. It records regular 1080/60i, and its tapes play back in Sony camcorders. So it should be no surprise that you can capture its footage in Vegas 6.

But as of yet, there's no pulldown removal. But since the recording method is 2:3 pulldown over 60i, and that's the same way Sony's own V1U records, I think it's probably a matter of only a week or so (assuming an NAB update to Vegas) before that functionality gets added.
farss wrote on 4/9/2007, 1:39 AM
Are you certain you cannot remove the pulldown?
I seem to have been able to do it.
I'm a R50 kinda guy (be gentle wuth me on this one) so I had to make my own 24p from our V1P by slowing 25p down 4%. I then added 2:3 pulldown to get 60i and did a PTT.
Captured back it sure looks like 60i.
Enabling Remove Pulldown on Capture it looked like 24p on a 24p timeline.

Bob.
ushere wrote on 4/9/2007, 2:25 AM
re scenealyser - i've been in contact with it's author in germany and he has no intentions of writing anything for hdv. apparently it's a whole new ballgame....

pity really, it's a brilliant program.

leslie
Spot|DSE wrote on 4/9/2007, 6:25 AM
OK Bob, you just caused me to spend an hour tinkering this morning.
Your method works, and works very well...but it's not removing pulldown, it's just the way Vegas works that allows you to do this. There aren't the pulldown flags in the stream from the HV20 (I don't believe), but Vegas makes it look as though it does.
I don't have an HV20 in-house either, but do have some raw footage sent to me after capture. Your method works well for anyone that wants to convert the 60i back to 24p
farss wrote on 4/9/2007, 1:42 PM
Interesting.
I really wondered about what I was doing and I'm still not certain about it. Thing is you don't really have to have flags, TMPGEnc seems to be able to remove pulldown or as they call it, inverse telecine, by reading the cadence.
Bob.
CClub wrote on 4/23/2007, 4:14 PM
Does anyone know if Vegas 7 has been updated to allow capture from Canon HV20 yet?
blink3times wrote on 4/23/2007, 6:47 PM
I have the HV20 and I have no problems capturing in 7d at all... it works great.

However it will NOT remove the pulldown. Vegas looks for pulldown flags placed in the stream and the canon camera lacks the ability to insert these flags. In order to remove the pulldown, use cineforrm HD and capture in the cineform avi format. Don't forget to go into the setup and check the boxes: romove pulldown AND deinterlace.
CClub wrote on 4/23/2007, 8:27 PM
I've heard the Cineform HD issue discussed on this forum but never paid it much mind until now as I'm looking at likely going HD. Do I have to purchase something additional or can I just change the Render As settings? Is this what I'm looking to do: Render As, HDV 1080-24p Intermediate? Then where am I checking boxes to remove pulldown and de-interlace?

Thanks much.
blink3times wrote on 4/24/2007, 1:20 AM
You can always work with the clip as a 60i on the timeline and then render as 1080/24p... (no boxes to check) this way you won't need a third party capture program such as cineform.... but I THINK that will defeat the real 24p that already exists within the 60i stream. So you're better off removing the pulldown BEFORE you hit the timeline. That way you're editing in true 24p

I have always wondered about this 24p thing anyway because Vegas already has the capacity to render a normal 60i stream over to 24p to begin with... so what do you need the 24p camera for?? I guess some people say it's better...it's more authentic. Well... okay.... I don't t really see it personally speaking, but there are lots of people to claim otherwise.
CClub wrote on 4/24/2007, 4:30 AM
So the ONLY way to use the true 24p from the HV20 is to remove the pulldown with something like Cineform? Otherwise, I basically have 60i that I'm using Vegas to render as 24p just as if I hadn't captured the original footage in 24p?
blink3times wrote on 4/24/2007, 5:41 AM
I don't want to get myself in to deep here, because I don't know the outcome of rendering 24p with pulldown (in other words 1080/60i) as 1080/24p. I mean it will obviously come out as 1080/24p when the render is finished, but what happens to the original 24p in this circumstance is an answer that I can't give to you.

BUT... I do know that if you want to EDIT in the original 24p (have the original 24p on the timline) then yes, you MUST use Cineform to first remove the pulldown. Vegas CAN'T do it because the HV20 does not flag the pulldown, so vegas doesn't know it's there.
LSHorwitz wrote on 4/28/2007, 1:45 PM
Looks like my prior reply has been mysteriously deleted..............It dealt with the Sony support solution which I received which stated that Canon and JVC cmacorders use a Fujitsi firewire controller chip which does not work properly, and therefore somew firewire support does not work in Vegas for these brands.....

Hmmmmm.

Larry
blink3times wrote on 4/28/2007, 4:39 PM
Get yourself a pci firewire port and give that a try... they're cheap. Mine was $15 if I remember.
LSHorwitz wrote on 4/28/2007, 6:14 PM
I have a $15 PCI card and have been using it for years with Sony camcorders (the FX-1 and HC-3). The Canon is another story......Sony blames it on the Fujitsi controller chip used in Canon and JVC camcorders.....