Can you please help me fix this over-exposed video clip?-Sony Vegas16

Comments

fifonik wrote on 6/10/2019, 9:44 PM

this is the "best" way to do so, cause if you have a overexposed image, darkening it should not crush the blacks or darken too much the image, it affect first the highlights areas, so you can darken the problematic areas first, keeping the image "bright".

Sure, if the whole frame is over-exposed. As I already mentioned, I almost never had such situations. I usually have situations where a part of frame is under-exposed and another part -- over-exposed. I'll try to upload example from home.

Camcorder: Panasonic X920

Desktop: MB: MSI B350M PRO-VDH, CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4 2400, Graphics card: MSI RX470 4GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO SATA 250MB, HDDs: Seagate & Toshiba 2TB, OS: Windows 10 64-bit 1809

NLE: Vegas Pro 11, 12, 13, 15

fifonik wrote on 6/11/2019, 2:33 AM

Here is what kind of "over-expose" I was thinking about:

Using logarithmic curve (and I+L+I trick) makes no sense here and I'm using Curves for these situations:

Camcorder: Panasonic X920

Desktop: MB: MSI B350M PRO-VDH, CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4 2400, Graphics card: MSI RX470 4GB, SSD: Samsung 850 EVO SATA 250MB, HDDs: Seagate & Toshiba 2TB, OS: Windows 10 64-bit 1809

NLE: Vegas Pro 11, 12, 13, 15

malowz wrote on 6/11/2019, 7:11 AM

yeap, you are correct. I-L-I is for entirely over-exposed. S/H is a way better option for you, in the case of too much contrast/DR scene.

Marco. wrote on 6/11/2019, 2:14 PM

I went a different way. I'm just about to configure some presets for the Color Curves and two of them are for my personal "real life" exposure corrections (my exposures sometimes happen to be +/- 1 f-stop off). I try to match them close to the particular camera property so I use (Graide) Color Curves to have better control over the chroma (the native Color Curves would do fine, too).

I then use two scripts which recall the Curves with the preset needed and put them into the toolbar.

Now for correcting typical over- and under-exposure I simply click the toolbar icon and do some fine-tuning by using only the Gain control knob of the color curves. This is very fast, too, and always gives further controls if necessary.

The setting used in this screen-recording is not the one I gonna use for my camera exposure correction (which will be more subtle). I just quickly adopted it for the sample we used in this topic to demo the workflow.

malowz wrote on 6/11/2019, 7:31 PM

my toolbar also have gradual exposure correction and curves for contrast adjustment. and a bunch of others scripts i have done

the exposure script detect if the levels is already on the event, and replace with the new value. so o just click between values to set optimal exposure