Catalyst Production Suite

ForumAdmin wrote on 5/15/2015, 2:06 PM
Today we introduced the Catalyst Production Suite comprised of Catalyst Prepare and Catalyst Edit – two new tools fused for powerful media preparation and fast, focused video editing.

Like other members of the Catalyst line of products, they are built on an entirely new code base that integrates tightly with emerging technologies across Sony worldwide.

We remain committed to our craft editor Vegas Pro, releasing build 444 on April 6th which added expanded XAVC support and addressed some defects. We’re not done – currently we’re working on addressing some specific camera model firmware issues, Windows 10 support, and more.

Some of you may not be familiar with Catalyst Browse – a free clip management and viewer tool which unifies support for all Sony professional formats in a single, easy to use app. Many love it for client review or production partner use.

We’ve received a lot of feedback from Catalyst Browse users desiring further help with the production workflow and Catalyst Production Suite addresses that need in a consistent design and platform approach.

Vegas Pro users may find a number of benefits in adding Catalyst Production Suite to their toolbox:

• Simplified ways of dealing with media ingestion, organization, reliable media backup, and batch transcoding for downstream post needs
• Strong Sony Log and RAW video support in Catalyst Prepare that is leveraged into Catalyst Edit
• Higher performance in many situations given the new codebase architecture built from the ground up on OpenCL, supporting both Windows and Mac OS X
• Touch and gesture friendly user experience with strong mouse support that is easy to use on smaller screen laptops in the field
• Direct integration with Sony Ci Media Cloud Services for collaborative team review without FedEx’ing drives around the world and hassling with customs
• Streamlined multichannel audio workflow simplifies the task of mixing a variety of media sources with varying channel counts and roles without introducing the complexity of audio bussing (a cognitive load unnecessary for some projects)
• Both Catalyst Prepare and Catalyst Edit support exporting storyboards and projects into Vegas Pro for fine craft editing when the story grows to require such additional power

We invite you to download a free trial of the Catalyst Production Suite to determine for yourself if there are benefits for you today. For many, we’re confident there are, but these are new tools and we’d love to hear your feedback on where they are lacking for your evolving needs.

- The Sony Creative Software Team

Comments

videoITguy wrote on 5/15/2015, 2:19 PM
Recommend follow-up by development team of SCS software..Catalyst vis-a-vis Vegas:

In Thread with Subject: RE: Graide Color Match Plugin
Reply by: videoITguy
Date: 4/27/2015 8:55:34 PM

From a list of specific enhancements that would be a desirable pursuit of development then special emphasis to taking color LUT from the Catalyst Edit Suite by Sony and providing connect to VegasPro13. This is something that I have been told will not be pursued by SCS and IT OUGHT TO BE available.

Refer to this thread:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=918905

NickHope wrote on 5/15/2015, 2:49 PM
ForumAdmin, thanks for the information, in particular that you're still working on improving Vegas Pro.
Wolfgang S. wrote on 5/18/2015, 6:18 AM
I think this statement should be appreciated really. It is the´commitment that SCS will continue to develop Vegas Pro. That is what a lot of people desire here. Great!

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

Dexcon wrote on 5/18/2015, 7:16 AM
Thank you, ForumAdmin, for letting us know that Vegas Pro remains alive and kicking and is moving forward. Really excellent news. I am so, so happy now.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

HyperMedia wrote on 5/20/2015, 1:02 AM
Can you please create, a tutorial on using S Log 2 grading workflow?
Len Kaufman wrote on 5/21/2015, 4:21 PM
I just downloaded both Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Prepare (Windows). Strangely, Browse will not recognize the "MTS" files from my Canon C100mk2, but Prepare does. The message received says, "The media file is unsupported or contains missing files." Any clue as to why the Prepare reads the files and Browse does not?
silvertone1938 wrote on 5/21/2015, 5:06 PM
Catalyst Browse only reads Sony formats, according to the product info page:

"Catalyst Browse is a media assistant that lets you browse files from your Sony camera, deck, or card reader with detailed views of individual clips..."
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystbrowse

Catalyst Prepare doesn't indicate any such limitations:

"Connect cameras, decks, and card readers, and preview clips in detail..."
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystprepare

It's intended design.