CHECK MARK in Vegas

mariusz-z wrote on 2/4/2018, 4:21 PM

Hi. Sorry for my English.It would be nice if the new feature appeared to make the timeline scene unchecked-CHECK MARK .It would make it easy to work just like in Adobe Premiere, Pinnacle Studio. Is this a problem for the vegas team ? View in project media it does not do the job. The details show not the exact amount of use because splitting the scene doubles the amount you use.

Comments

Kinvermark wrote on 2/4/2018, 6:39 PM

That would be nice. However, at this point the whole media management system needs a serious upgrade. At minimum, thumbnails need to be persistent and FAST to draw initially, there needs to be a way to manually sort media (so you can storyboard the order before dragging to the timeline), and ideally a hover scrub function with the ability to set IN/OUT points per clip would be very useful.

mariusz-z wrote on 2/5/2018, 9:13 AM

I'm just surprised that this useful feature is in the program for $ 100,

and in a much more expensive vegas for $ 600, unfortunately, not.

fifonik wrote on 2/5/2018, 6:39 PM

It might be that this looks as a useful feature for you because of your previous experience with other NLEs but not for others.

For example, I hardly can think of a situation when it might be useful for me.

I'm importing medias to the project, then dropping everything to timeline and then I'm working with timeline only.

If I delete something from timeline it is still in the project and here I might want to see such 'tick' for the media in case if I'd like to put it back. In reality I never wanted it back yet. If I deleted a fragment from timeline by mistake -- I'm just undo-ing it (Ctrl+Z). If I'd like to delete all medias that are not on timeline any more (to make project file smaller) -- I just use the button to clean up the project.

Different people have different workflows. So, could you please explain in short your workflow and how these ticks can be useful for you? May be I'm just missing something interesting/useful?

Thanks.

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

mariusz-z wrote on 2/8/2018, 4:09 PM

It might be that this looks as a useful feature for you because of your previous experience with other NLEs but not for others.

For example, I hardly can think of a situation when it might be useful for me.

I'm importing medias to the project, then dropping everything to timeline and then I'm working with timeline only.

If I delete something from timeline it is still in the project and here I might want to see such 'tick' for the media in case if I'd like to put it back. In reality I never wanted it back yet. If I deleted a fragment from timeline by mistake -- I'm just undo-ing it (Ctrl+Z). If I'd like to delete all medias that are not on timeline any more (to make project file smaller) -- I just use the button to clean up the project.

Different people have different workflows. So, could you please explain in short your workflow and how these ticks can be useful for you? May be I'm just missing something interesting/useful?

Thanks.

I've been working on VP for 2 years. I started with Pinnacle Studio, then Adobe Premiere and in each of them was and is present check mark function.It made work easier for me, especially on projects with a lot of scenes where I was able to assess which ones have already been used and which ones were not especially when you put scenes on the timeline without keeping the order.

Definitively check marks helped me solve Nick Hope by directing me to a specific post.

Summing up the VP also it works, only in a different way

mariusz-z wrote on 2/8/2018, 4:16 PM

This is asked for often. Here's one thread about it: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/how-to-get-mvp-14-to-indicate-clips-used-in-media-files--105166/

Thanks Nick Hope. It's good to listen to smarter people

Reyfox wrote on 10/7/2019, 5:00 PM

I too was looking for this in VP 16. For "me", I'll have many photos and videos for use in a project. As I decide on the length of the project, I know I won't be using all the media. So, it would be nice to know which media is used on the timeline to avoid duplicates showing up. Especially in projects with many photos in them.

I too have Pinnacle Studio 23, and knowing something is used on the timeline is a big help.

Last changed by Reyfox on 10/7/2019, 5:01 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Newbie😁

Vegas Post 365 (Currently VP21)

Win 11 Pro

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 cores / 32 threads

32GB DDR4 3200

Sapphire RX6700XT 12GB Driver: 22.5.1, testing 24.5.1

Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard

zdogg wrote on 10/7/2019, 7:34 PM

This is asked for often. Here's one thread about it: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/how-to-get-mvp-14-to-indicate-clips-used-in-media-files--105166/

Thanks Nick Hope. It's good to listen to smarter people

That is an uncalled for "dig." (= Insult). People have a variance of approach, and what features are really important.

"Smarter" people? I have had to read and re read your initial request to try to understand what you're talking about. I know English is not your first language, so I would not question who is "smart" based on that, but c'mon.

This is a Forum to request help, not insult people. Please stop. If I want to know which files are being used, I:

"Select All" (control A) in the timeline, which selects all timeline events, then...

right click on any of the selected events for "Select in Project Media list" and see which files highlight in Project Media.

I believe you can also use "Clean Project Media" to automatically delete files from the project, (but not your hard drive). If you'd want to delete and remove from drive as well, you select manually and then you'd have that option as well.

I don't need this a lot, so it's not a big deal for me, one way or the other.

Also, many people on this Forum, for years, have had "wish lists" of things THEY wish the developers would focus on, and yours is just "one more" - and that feature, whether useful or not, may be way down on people's lists of things that they would be concerned with, so there is that idea, people won't rally for something like that, only because they can't get more "important" (to them) things looked at. Nothing personal, at all, just the way the software game is played sometimes.

zdogg wrote on 10/7/2019, 7:38 PM

If you do "Remove ALL Unused files from Project" you will still have the "subclips" you've created (even if not used) and proxies - both related to used files. This will not highlight when you'd Select All in the timeline then reference the Project Media files window.

Marco. wrote on 10/8/2019, 2:26 AM

Can't repro.

zdogg wrote on 10/8/2019, 3:05 AM

Can't repro.

Maybe because my files are across two different computers on a network. I'm thinking you're referencing the proxies and subclips after a "purge" of non utilized files. But, again, the main file from which the subclip is derived is an active file, so, as you'd know (but others maybe not)-- the subclip is really a pointer, not the file itself.

Reyfox wrote on 10/10/2019, 8:28 AM
"Select All" (control A) in the timeline, which selects all timeline events, then...

right click on any of the selected events for "Select in Project Media list" and see which files highlight in Project Media.

Thanks @zdogg. It does work as intended, but for me specifically, I have have to do this several times since all the photos aren't next to each other. I'll have photos at the beginning, in between video clips, etc... I don't think making a request to have something to let you know the asset is being used on the timeline would cause so much grief.

Again, thanks.

Former user wrote on 10/10/2019, 8:45 AM

Vegas doesn't use a check mark, but it does show media usage. If you change the MEDIA POOL display to Details it shows a count. Not exactly what you are asking, but it works.

Reyfox wrote on 10/10/2019, 9:53 AM

There are times I do photo montages that have a lot of images in the folders. When placing images on the timeline, if "something" appeared to show what is used in the Media window, that's where the help is. To constantly go to the context menu, etc slows down the editing process. Looking at "details" doesn't display the thumbnails, which are needed to know what photos are actually being used. Using the suggestion "Select All" (control A) in the timeline, which selects all timeline events, then...right click on any of the selected events for "Select in Project Media list" and see which files highlight in Project Media." gives the representation of what I am looking for is and much faster to see what is and what isn't being used.

But I would have to do this several times on the timeline and try and remember the scores of images being used, check "count" and click to see where the images are on the timeline if used more than once.

A simple colored dot/check mark/highlight would for "me" make things easier since I do a lot of videos that a lot of still images.