Comments

Marc S wrote on 3/6/2011, 1:55 PM
In order to render Cineform you'll need to purchase Cineform Neo or higher. Playback is free with the player installed.
John_Cline wrote on 3/6/2011, 3:01 PM
I believe that Vegas 7 still had a licensed version of Cineform but when you choose to render in .AVI, the templates weren't identified as Cineform, as I recall, they were identified by the word "Intermediate" in the template name.

Regardless, you could always take any of the AVI templates and hit the "Custom" button and change the "Video Format" to "Cineform."

Later versions of Vegas removed native Cineform support because Sony decided to no longer pay the licensing fees to Cineform for the codec.
johnmeyer wrote on 3/6/2011, 5:57 PM
With Vegas 7 you do NOT need to purchase a Cineform license. To access the Cineform encoder, select "Video for Windows AVI" as the encoding format, and then click on the Custom button. Go to the Video tab. Click on the Video Format drop down and you will find Cineform HD Codec 2.5. Select that

The Cineform version included in Vegas 7 is limited to 1440x1080 resolution: you cannot render 1920x1080 without purchasing Neo or on of the other Cineform products.
Marc S wrote on 3/6/2011, 8:05 PM
Sorry, I forgot that a limited version of Cineform was included in V7
jeremyk wrote on 3/7/2011, 4:54 PM
Thanks so much! I should have mentioned that I do have NeoScene installed.

Yes, I was able to select the CineForm HD Codec v7.1.3 in the Video Format selection, and construct a template for HD rendering.

One thing -- I'm re-encoding a CineForm file to replace camera audio with separately-recorded audio, but the video is getting re-rendered even though the video settings match the clip properties. Is that normal?
NickHope wrote on 3/8/2011, 1:49 AM
If it won't smart render (=no re-encode) then you might want to try demuxing the file and remuxing with the new audio so you don't lose video quality. Google "avi muxer demuxer".
jeremyk wrote on 7/27/2011, 1:51 PM
I'm finally working on a project where I need to replace the audio track, and I found that the free program Avidemux does this very easily. Open the video file, go to Audio and select "external wav" as the audio source, pick your audio file, then select Save Video.

Thanks, Nick, for the pointer.