colors that POP in Vegas?

Comments

riredale wrote on 1/5/2013, 4:50 PM
You want pop, or do you want POP?

I've taken a bit of "artistic license" with it, but now it's really got POP!
wwjd wrote on 1/5/2013, 6:12 PM
hahahahaha that is Hilarious! Interestingly, it does break it down to the baser colors.
I'm guessing that is not just Vegas plugins?

I heard about a free cartoon plugin somewhere out there...

actually, your pic would make an excellent transition from that to reality in another style of production. a simple crossfade and there ya go
johnmeyer wrote on 1/5/2013, 6:27 PM
Once you clarified what you wanted, I was going to do what riredale did: export image stills to my photo editing program, do a batch conversion, and then import the stills back to Vegas. You can get just about any effect you want doing it this way, including the very nice "cartoon" effect he showed.

Forcing the colors towards a few primary colors, as well as increasing saturation, will probably get you what you want. I think that Bob (farss) was hinting at that approach in his earlier post.
johnmeyer wrote on 1/5/2013, 7:03 PM
Here is an approach using three instances of Secondary Color Corrector. The idea is to select a range around each primary, and then force all colors in that range towards pure R, G, or B. This gives you something akin to what Warren Beatty achieved in the movie "Dick Tracy," but of course he did it by having all the sets and costumes done in saturated almost-primary colors.***

Here's the first Secondary Color Corrector:

then the next:

and the third:

This is the result:

It may not exactly be what you want, but it is done in Vegas. If it were me, I'd look at the batch export/import of still images, and then do the manipulation in PhotoShop.

John

*** The automatic forum censor software doesn't let me post "D-i-c-k Tracy." I'm too young to understand why ... it was my late father's first name, so he would have had a tough time online, I guess.

wwjd wrote on 1/5/2013, 8:42 PM
wow you guys are off the hook with this cool color craziness! Over my head.
I'll probably end up just using the "BLOCKBUSTER" preset in MB Movie looks and wait for the profits to roll in. :)
larry-peter wrote on 1/5/2013, 9:29 PM
wwjd,
Just saw your thread and you might want to take a look at what you can do with just compositing modes. Colors pop without necessarily becoming "electric." I just finished a project I used this on:
Make two duplicates of your video track so you have three stacked instances. Bottom track stays default, middle track set compositing mode to "hard light," top track set compositing mode to "overlay". Level of the middle track gives you vivid saturation, top track will give adjustment of detail in brighter areas. You can get a variety of looks by adjusting the levels of the middle and top tracks.

Edit: And of course you can do even more with various level and saturation adjustments to the tracks.
wwjd wrote on 1/5/2013, 10:10 PM
Interesting idea Atom12. I messed with that while faking some HDR stuff once, and seems like your method is sound.
I might have to play with that sometime.
farss wrote on 1/5/2013, 11:30 PM
Links to Skydrive seem to be having a problem so I couldn't get your samples.
So I used some footage of my own. Always felt it best to use footage because it just looks different when things move. Unfortunately this still ins't a good test however I haven't included an interior shot I first tried but this FX package worked just fine with it as well.

This is all straight Vegas plugs and the FX package is years old.

You can watch the results

Bob.
johnmeyer wrote on 1/5/2013, 11:31 PM
atom12,

Your approach works really well. Thanks for teaching me something new.

John
wwjd wrote on 1/5/2013, 11:37 PM
I thought that looked great, Bob. I'll have to mess with those FX packages also. Bookmarked.
Grazie wrote on 1/6/2013, 3:29 AM
I employed atom12's approach in that first paired-sample I submitted.

Even having a slight appreciation/understanding the way screenprinters, photographers and graphics artists deal with "layers" - here we are calling them Tracks and compositing - over the past 5 years is what I have enjoyed learning to do, in VegasPro. Getting on with the job of getting "looks", and a product out of the door, these options coming into Vegas via OFX have been extraordinary. And in this thread that has meant getting "pop" from "flat", but STILL keeping it real. Whether it's the Red Stop sign or the Yellow bus or the fuzziness around the trees, what's wanted is a narrative "overall" that says something. Often I can be criticised for seeing the Trees but not the Wood. Here that's a blessing!

As I've grown up with Vegas and now having OFX available to 3rd party coders; having a range of truly flexible, tweak-able, sympathetic colour grad opportunities developed by real graphic artists has been a real gift and eye-opener to me.

So, my first pairing was with the straight Vegas Tools and the use of Layer Compositing and use of Burn and Dodge and the myriad of in-house Vegas Tools.

The second pairings are the ones where I used the additional GenArts 3rd Party Sapphire Edge plugs ( the 3-strip technicolour) - but again on the compo layering and Burn.

I may not understand HOW this stuff works, but I think I have an "eye" to understanding what works on the "page", and here that means video.

Not forgetting that Content>Narrative is King!

Cheers

Grazie
LoTN wrote on 1/6/2013, 4:10 AM
Yes LOTN, but you used the still picture. Try it on the flat looking Video Frame.

Even before being corrected, there is banding in the frame. Anyway, YES you can pop it without turning into the horrible:

In the end, I'd say Vegas CAN do POP color. :)

For sure ... ;^)
[r]Evolution wrote on 1/8/2013, 12:41 PM
I think this all starts IN CAMERA.
If you capture Video w/'pop' you don't have to waste all that time Fixing it in Post.

With software, hardware, prices, etc. becoming available to everyone, it seems everyone thinks they are a Master at it all.

If you're an editor, hire a good shooter. You'll get that 'pop' right out of the Camera.