Demuxing and importing

MikeWaz1949 wrote on 3/18/2020, 9:29 PM

I have a .mkv (Matroshka) file to import into Vegas Pro 17. I have demuxed the file with VideoLAN, to create an MP4 file with video. The converted file plays on my desktop, but when imported into Vegas, all I have get is the audio, and no video. What steps am I missing? Or is there a better way to convert this .mkv file?

Comments

lenard-p wrote on 3/19/2020, 12:13 AM

if you try that mediainfo and it says the video codec is vp9 or something unusual like AV1 then vegas can't read it. You have to transcode to AVC instead with something like Handbrake

wwaag wrote on 3/19/2020, 12:20 AM

Rather than transcode, you could try the ImportAssist tool in Happy Otter Scripts which can rewrap and convert VFR to CFR. If all else fails, there are options for transcoding, although not recommended since you lose some quality unless converting to lossless. You can also import subtitles and chapters if desired. Here's a very simple example.

More information can be found at https://tools4vegas.com/

fifonik wrote on 3/19/2020, 10:40 PM

Rather than transcode, you could try the ImportAssist tool in Happy Otter Scripts which can rewrap and convert VFR to CFR.

Hm. I thought this is not possible with simple re-wrapping. What am I missing?

Camcorder: Panasonic X920

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X (not OC), RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200 (not OC), Graphics card: MSI RX580 8GB (factory OC), SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ NVMe 500MB (OS), HDDs: Seagate & Toshiba 2TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 1909

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17

wwaag wrote on 3/19/2020, 11:07 PM

It's more than just rewrapping. For MKV files, the conversion from VFR to CFR is also important. Apparently, the MKV container writes time stamps "differently" so that most files show up in MediaInfo as VFR (even though the original file was CFR). Running it through the VFR to CFR tool seems to result in the correct time stamps so that it is now considered CFR which is important to Vegas.

In any case, it does "work" with the option for extracting multiple audio streams, subtitles and chapters. Importing AC3 files as VOBs is a little "trick" since Vegas does not natively import AC3.