Disk Drive Speed

Narax wrote on 11/3/2023, 5:06 PM

Good Day Awesome People!!

So I long story short my Disk space is running out, and I have an external 2TB Hardrive which can Read & Write at 40 MB/s, would this be fast enough to edit 20 MB/s bitrate videos without or with proxies and not stutter?! I was unable to find the Disk Drive speed requirements for Vegas Pro 19 Online so that is why I am asking here, your help is greatly appreciated.

Have a wonderful day Peeps!!

Comments

john_dennis wrote on 11/3/2023, 5:29 PM

I'd spend the money on NVNe drive(s) inside the machine for editing and use USB, eSATA, Thunderbolt, etc drives for archiving. The worst aspect of rotating disks is seek time, then interface latency.

J-Toresen wrote on 11/3/2023, 6:06 PM

I want to add: use ordinary hard drives, not SSD, for archiving. I prefer WD disks.

Jøran Toresen

RogerS wrote on 11/3/2023, 8:05 PM

Do you only use one track at a time? Do you only use that media? I think you would benefit from something faster with a portable SSD for working projects being ideal. I also use external HDDs that are USB 3 for editing 8 bit AVC files.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Former user wrote on 11/3/2023, 8:22 PM

external 2TB Hardrive which can Read & Write at 40 MB/s, would this be fast enough to edit 20 MB/s bitrate videos without or with proxies and not stutter?!

Videos are measured in Mbit/s so 20Mbps equals 2.4 MBps, so your drive is fast enough to edit . If your video actually is 20MB/s (170Mbps) that might be cutting it a bit close. The drive speed is a bit suspicious, if you are using a USB2.0 port, connect to USB 3.0 if drive and computer supports USB 3.0

Could see a slow down in encoding when you're both reading and writing to the external drive and the fps is high enough such as from hardware encoding. Not sure if you'd see a slowdown with building proxies, it wouldn't be due to the combined speeds of reading and writing. Vegas proxy creation is very slow, but access speeds could slow down due to having to read and write at same time, the same with waveform and thumbnail creation.

J-Toresen wrote on 11/4/2023, 5:02 AM

@Narax

The solution is simple: copy some of your media to the external drive, create a new project in Vegas, add media from the external drive and start editing, render to the external drive. If it works, it works. If not, buy an external SSD. Or if possible, add a second internal SSD.

Jøran Toresen

mark-y wrote on 11/4/2023, 7:08 AM

Average Sequential Read/Write speeds like you reported are pretty unrevealing. It is the sustained minimum bidirectional throughput that matters in editing.

I have some older 5400 rpm drives that are about like yours and they work pretty well with 10-12 Mbps video.

I use generic SATA 3 300MBps-rated drives for 20-40 Mbps editing such as yours. They are really cheap this year!

Please always stay aware that 100Mbps = 12.5MBps in the common genre.

I promise that you do not have any 20MB/s videos unless you own a PXW-X400KC over SDI; those would be 1.6Gb/s

Here is an oldie but goodie for benchmarking your sustained drive speeds, and doing quick cluster checks.