Comments

NickHope wrote on 8/8/2016, 4:25 AM
Render as > Quicktime 7. As long as you have it installed, the options should be there.
farss wrote on 8/8/2016, 5:37 AM
Got it, thanks Nick.
For some reason I thought it went into an AVI wrapper.

Bob.
musicvid10 wrote on 8/8/2016, 12:53 PM
Cineform will do either avi or mov.
I think a lot of Windows types wish DNxHD did as well.

farss wrote on 8/8/2016, 3:11 PM
Unfortunately as this is for a "master" of a movie it needs to be a codec that's as universal as possible.

Regardless I've struck another problem. The "master" from the online/grade is Prores and that in combination with rendering to DNxHD is causing V13 to get lost. No crash, still working but needing a forced close. The issue seems to occur when Vegas does some sort of "prescan" of the project. No problem arises rendering a 1 minute section of the project. I've also had no issue rendering to MXF.

Bob.

musicvid10 wrote on 8/8/2016, 3:54 PM
And that would be due to the fact that both ProRes and DNxHD are using Quicktime 7, that may still be using a 32 bit memory allocation..

Can you render a Cineform intermediate or surrogate, perhaps?

Former user wrote on 8/8/2016, 4:34 PM
DNxHD is an Avid codec and is not that universal. For projection, I do high bitrate (40mbs or higher) MPEG files or some theaters/projectors can use JPEG2000.

Is this a master to make other files or a projection?
farss wrote on 8/8/2016, 7:36 PM
Musicvid10:
That's possible. I had much the same problem before trying to render out a reference copy. Vegas rendered it but the audio repeated at the 1 hour mark. I've been watching memory allocation at it doesn't get anywhere near even 4GB.
I'm now trying just rendering 40 minutes of the movie and that looks like it'll run to completion. The problem arises when Vegas is creating a MOV.TMP file. The frame counter in the preview window never gets going, weird.

DonaldT:

Yes, to make preview copies from and very unlikely to use for showing in a cinema.

This project has been on my books for 5 years now. All this grief would have been avoided if the director had heeded my advice that "No, you cannot get the rights to a top 40 track for free". /rant

Bob.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 8/8/2016, 8:56 PM
Take care with ProRes in Vegas today! It shows a luminance spread, it is decoded as 8bit only and tends to crash Vegas. A good way is to convert it to Cineform really, using Resolve or TMPGenc.
farss wrote on 8/9/2016, 4:32 AM
[I]"Take care with ProRes in Vegas today! It shows a luminance spread, it is decoded as 8bit only and tends to crash Vegas."[/I]

Saw the levels problem and fixed it. Eight bits, not a problem, this was shot with the first generation F900. That's the reason I'm doing my best to avoid any generational loss. Rendered to the XDCAM 4:2:2 codec the opening shot falls apart due to the noise.

The good but confusing news is now the entire movie is encoding. I tried to track down the problem by rendering increasingly long segments until I got to 1 hours with out issue. Then I though just for giggles I'd try the whole movie again and now it's rendering. Fingers crossed the render is good.

Bob.