Editing workflow questions

RodC wrote on 10/10/2011, 12:34 PM

We edit a lot of music videos that contain several tracks. Normally I use the multi camera features and it works out pretty well. I now have a project that I have to stick with multi tracks due to timing changes to the tracks and different effects.

In the past I have always used composite envelopes to bring in and out the take I want. With 4 or 5 tracks this is OK, but this current project has 20+.

With most of the tracks being full length it’s a real pain to adjust the envelopes for all the tracks above.

I’m trying to decide if I want to tackle this project with envelopes or split everything up into clips.

One issue I have ran into using Vegas – Most NLEs / DAWs I have used will allow you to – Select Multiple clips/Events then trim them all at the same time or apply fades. Vegas only seems to allow this if you group them. You then are faced with either keeping track of a bunch of groups, or removing the group after each edit of multi clips. Is there an easy way to do this in Vegas I have overlooked?

Comments

hazelmaeby wrote on 10/10/2011, 7:58 PM
I'm not totally sure what you're trying to do with trimming events, but my guess is a script may do what you want.

I recently found John Rofrano's script for fades

http://www.johnrofrano.com/vegasscripts.htm

Select events, then hit the script to fade them all the same amount. Saved me tons of time on a project.

There are other commercial script add-ons that might be helpful to you too.
Jet DV excalibur and VASST are ones I've seen mentioned. I haven't used them.
RodC wrote on 10/10/2011, 8:59 PM
I dont think a script will do it. Basicly if you have 3 events on 3 different tracks you can select all 3 with Ctrl-Click. Then trim / fade one and they all trim at the same time to the same time. If you group them in Vegas it works, but it would be real nice if you didnt have to go through lots of keystrokes.

For example, in Cakewalk Sonar:

Slip-editing multiple clips
You can slip-edit multiple clips at the same time.
To slip-edit multiple clips at once
1. Make sure all clips are not loop-enabled.

2. Select the clips you want to slip-edit.

3. Move your cursor over the beginning or end range of the selected clips until the blue clip handle appears.

4. Drag the boundary to the desired location and release.
RodC wrote on 10/10/2011, 9:26 PM
It's such a basic editing function that it is tough to find video examples, but here is one:

You will notice at 2:17 he has 4 clips, one is a bit longer. He selects all of them then trims them all down to the same size. Next he applies a fade to all of them.

I think it would make it much easier in sony vegas to remove 19 tracks above the one you want to use if you could split, select and crop using this method. (It works like this for groups, but not multi selections)
musicvid10 wrote on 10/10/2011, 9:44 PM
I understand completely what you meant in your first post; been there, done that.
The solution, for my workflow, is to split into many events, a big timesaver over tweaking track envelopes on a large project, except where there are transitional considerations of course.

And if you're not working a multicam project this time, take advantage of many tracks, too. For instance, if there is something that is working for a bunch of events, keep them on the same track and apply your "stuff" at the track level. You could even apply a modest envelope or keyframes if there are modest tweaks.

The events that need individual treatment belong on a track directly above, and the individual stuff is applied at the event level. As someone said a long time ago on this forum, "Tracks are cheap."

Slip-Trim works like this in Vegas:Slip: move media within event without moving the event
Here is a super-simplified graphic of using different tracks for events needing different treatment:

When you're on a complex project, whether 3 minutes or 3 hours in length, time is everything.

altarvic wrote on 10/11/2011, 3:48 AM
Vegasaur contains Extend to Cursor tool that allows you to trim (or extend) multiple events in one step.

In addition, there is Fades/Transitions tool that can be used for creating fades.

RodC wrote on 10/11/2011, 7:13 AM
Tx musicvid, pretty much follow all of your suggestions already. Thanks for the tips and your time.

altavic - I checked out Vegasaur quite some time ago but it looks like I'm going to have to check it out again. Thanks for the tip.

The sync feature in 11 coming up also looks like it will be of some use. I like to lock clips as I go, but it would be even easier if you could force all the clips to sync with an audio track.