(FAQ) How can I do a clean uninstall of VEGAS Pro?

NickHope wrote on 4/23/2018, 5:17 AM

By a "clean" uninstall, we mean uninstalling the application and removing all traces of it from your PC. You might want to do this in the following circumstances:

For (MAGIX) VEGAS Pro 13 build 543 or later, follow the instructions below. For Sony Vegas Pro (up to version 13 build 453), see the clean uninstall and reinstall instructions for Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 7.

Warning: This procedure is potentially hazardous. Do it at your own risk. Take backups of your system drive and registry before you proceed.

In the filenames below, change the number "1X" or "XX" to your VEGAS Pro version, for example "21".

1. Check and remember which temporary files folder you have set in Options > Preferences > General. By default it is %LocalAppdata%\VEGAS Pro

2. Uninstall VEGAS Pro normally via Windows Programs and Features.

3. After uninstalling, manually delete these folders from the file system:

• C:\Program Files\VEGAS
  • The temporary files folder you remembered above in step 1.

4. To be thorough, also delete the following folders, but if troubleshooting a problem, you might want to try first without deleting some of these if you they contain valuable settings that you don't want to lose:

• %AppData%\VEGAS Pro (You'll lose customized windows layouts, keyboard settings etc.)
  • C:\ProgramData\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro (You'll lose VEGAS video media profiles)
  • C:\ProgramData\VEGAS\VEGAS_Pro_XX (You'll lose codec additional activations)

5. In the Windows registry, using Regedit, manually delete these folders:

• VEGAS Pro 19 or later:
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VEGAS Creative Software\VEGAS Pro\XX.0
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VEGAS Creative Software\Vegas Pro\XX.0
  • VEGAS Pro 18 or earlier:
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Sony Creative Software\VEGAS Pro\1X.0
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Creative Software\Vegas Pro\1X.0
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sony Creative Software\VEGAS Pro - MAGIX (This may only exist for VEGAS Pro 14)

6. You could also consider deleting some of the other folders in the following locations, if they exist, but only if you are 100% sure they are only related to VEGAS Pro and not other VEGAS or Sony Creative software you may have installed:

• KEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VEGAS Creative Software\
    • KEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Sony Creative Software\
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VEGAS Creative Software\
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sony Creative Software\
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VEGAS Creative Software\
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sony Creative Software\

7. Reboot the PC.

8. Consider cleaning the Windows registry. For this purpose I regularly use Ccleaner free version. Cleaning your registry carries significant risk. It is recommended to take an image-based backup of your system drive first, for example using AOMEI Backupper or Macrium Reflect Free or Acronis True Image. You can also make an image or create a system restore point in Windows. When Ccleaner asks if you want to backup your registry before cleaning, you should! I usually fix all detected issues and then scan for issues again. Further issues are often found the 2nd time.

9. Reboot the PC again.

Comments

NickHope wrote on 4/23/2018, 5:17 AM

Suggestions for corrections and additions via comments or personal messages are welcome but comments here may be deleted later as this is an "FAQ" post. Please start a new post or use an old thread to discuss subjects in depth or to raise individual cases.

qbn wrote on 12/31/2018, 4:10 PM

Hi, this doesn't seem to work for Vegas 15. Every time I go to install, the installer tells me that Vegas 15 is already installed. https://cl.ly/ccd898fa0b6c/Image%202018-12-31%20at%204.03.26%20PM.png

rraud wrote on 12/31/2018, 5:37 PM

I usually use a third-party uninstaller Revo’s Uninstall always works for me when left over reg entries and other data ‘fork’ things up.