Comments

wwaag wrote on 2/21/2015, 4:24 PM
I'd change it back to H, at least temporarily, and then save to a new location/drive in Vegas. Under Computer Management, Select Disk Management, and then change your letters.

wwaag

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

Kit wrote on 2/21/2015, 5:21 PM
Thanks, but that doesn't sound practical. I have dozens of projects to change. No alternative? Vegas needs better tools for re-syncing paths.
OldSmoke wrote on 2/21/2015, 6:28 PM
If Vegas can't the project files when opening a project it will ask you to find a replacement. All you need to do is to just find one file and Vegas will search for the files in directory and it's sub directories.

Edit: As long as you don't change the folder structure Vegas will find all the files on the new drive.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

Kit wrote on 2/21/2015, 6:44 PM
Yes, I just wish Vegas had better methods for finding replacements. It doesn't even show the full path of the missing file unless it is short. It should have the existing file path presented in an editable box. It should allow the user to search folders rather than just whole drives. I've also experienced it asking for multiple files in the same folder (I think because the file type was different). This is version 13 and I don't think the file replacement method has changed once since Sony took over, if ever. It should be better.
JackW wrote on 2/21/2015, 7:55 PM
Can you do it as a batch file in DOS from the Command Line. Time was when this would have worked. Don't know whether MS has disabled this sort of thing now.

Jack
TheHappyFriar wrote on 2/21/2015, 7:58 PM
I've dealt with this like in the second post: keep the drives the same letters. If you MANUALLY assign them they generally don't get changed (for example, my USB2 drive is F. Nothing else is assigned F. However, if I add a new drive, like a memory card reader, it could use F. So I manually move some drives to the end of the range so this doesn't happen).

It's remarkably easy to change drive letters in Windows (8 requires less steps them previous ones).

Also, like said, if everything is in the same relative place, finding it once & telling Vegas everything else is in the same location finds it all. Always has for me (before I started assigning drive letters).
wwaag wrote on 2/21/2015, 8:15 PM
I'm not sure what a better method would look like, but if you have Vegasaur, this will work. Open your project, and when the missing file box appears, select "Ignore all missing files...". In Vegasaur, open the Replace Media dialog and select the source and target extensions (they can be the same). Then select the new folder, and it will replace the files. I tried this with some jpg files and it works OK. However, I don't know if if will also search subdirectories or just the folder specified. You would also have to do this for each media type. It's a bit tedious but it will work.

wwaag

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

NickHope wrote on 2/22/2015, 12:29 AM

There is huge scope for improving the resolving of offline media in Vegas. I bought the Peachrock Veggie Toolkit specifically for its Offline Media Resolver, but unfortunately it's not supported after VP12. If I have a lot of offline media to reconnect then I open VP12 to do it, rather than VP13, and use that tool.

I'd love SCS to implement the functionality of that tool, or someone else to do it in an extension.

Ultimately I would love an offline media resolver with the intelligence to offer "suggestions" for the missing files, and that allows one to search for media based on a rewrite rule. For example, if you rename a bunch of clips to change the naming format or the spelling (e.g. "creature-XX.avi" to "critter-XX.avi") you can tell the resolver to search for the files with the new spelling but with the rest of the clip name unchanged.

Edit: Even Media Manager has a smart search function that is surprisingly effective at suggesting replacements.

Arthur.S wrote on 2/22/2015, 12:59 AM
Why is pointing to the first file, and then Vegas saying that the rest of the files are in same location, would you like to use them? 'difficult'? Or even selecting the drive for Vegas to search. It finds first one, and then same as above. It literally takes seconds. Try moving a file with say TMPGEnc. :-(
If Vegas changed the drive letter, it'll effect everything else on your computer.
JohnAsh wrote on 10/30/2015, 3:29 PM
"If Vegas can't the project files when opening a project it will ask you to find a replacement. All you need to do is to just find one file and Vegas will search for the files in directory and it's sub directories.

"Edit: As long as you don't change the folder structure Vegas will find all the files on the new drive."

My old PC blew up and am setting up my new one. As it has a solid state C: drive with limited capacity, directories like my Music files have to be on another drive. All of my music is within ITUNEs and its directory structure. I copied my music directories as is to the new drive, D:.
'Now my Sony Vegas 13 projects understandably can't find the files, looking for them on my C: drive. For the first music file I point to the new location, but it does not go ahead and find the others. Instead it demands I point to each file individually.

With ITUNES the tracks are all in a multitude of sub-directories but the only thing that is different is the drive letter. I don't understand why Vegas can't find all the other music files once I tell it the location of the first error.

No such issue occurred with my video files which were found as expected after pointing to the new file location of the first clip.

I'd very much welcome any suggestions for sorting this out without my driving myself to insanity by going through my projects pointing to every single location of each and every music file.
JohnAsh wrote on 10/31/2015, 2:56 AM
Silly me. I answered this myself. I tried the option "search for missing file". I selected the appropriate drive and within a few seconds (gosh my new PC is so much faster. I can now preview in Best Quality (Full) if I want to!) it found the missing music file and then went away and relocated all the other music files.

Hooray!
VMP wrote on 10/31/2015, 3:01 AM
Also if you put all the files in the same folder as the Vegas project file then open Vegas, it adds all the files without asking.

VMP