Footage from Panasonic Lumix GH4

Dan Sherman wrote on 1/5/2016, 12:56 PM
About to embark on my first project with the GH4, having sold off my Panasonic HPX170.
Don't have the new camera yet.
Have cut footage from Canon 5D III successfully.
.MOV as I recall.
Anyway, that was 1080.
Anyone share experience with 4K footage from GH4 on the Vegas 12 timeline?.

Computer Specs
Computer Brand/Model:
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 RAM
Processor: Intel R Core (TM) i7 2600K @ 3.40 GHz
Video Card: nVidia 560 GTX 2Gb Video Card
Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 44
Video Capture: Vegas
CD Burner: LG Blu Ray Writer
DVD Burner: LG Blu Ray Writer

Comments

NickHope wrote on 1/5/2016, 10:38 PM
My experience with Vegas and GH4 footage has been very good.

Be aware of this problem whereby 23.976p and 24p clips have extended video. It's annoying but warper's script in that thread provides a solution, and there are other workarounds too. Most of my shooting is UHD 30p so it's not an issue.

I'm getting away editing native GH4 UHD and C4K footage without GPU acceleration with an i7 5960X. Try it, but I suspect you may need to enable GPU acceleration or even use proxies or intermediates.

I have VP12 and VP13, but I choose to use VP12 most of the time and I suspect it might be a little faster than VP13.

"Preview" quality preview will probably give you a smoother experience than "Best", and look almost identical, especially if you're monitoring at 1920x1080 (in which case you can also choose "Half" to speed things up). Having said that, I often leave it at "Best (full)" and it's fine.

Also I see no difference between MP4 and MOV. They're both handled by the same decoder. The Quicktime decoder in Vegas is not involved.

Also, if you want to archive trimmed footage, you can do it with FFMpeg, and that functionality is now built into Vegasaur 2.4. The ends of clips are usually not frame-accurate, but it will save you space and quality compared to other archiving options.