Go Vegas, go pro! Pros, stay! The others....

Martin L wrote on 9/23/2016, 7:33 AM

I think Vegas Pro should continue to move forward for the professionals using it. Improve stability, pro format support, GPU-rendering, and so forth. Then charge for it. For those of us who use Vegas Pro daily doing film commercially, earning money, with paying customers, 50$ more or less is nothing. The 249 or 349 for the suite is much less than what Adobe subscribers pay every year. Now it has been more than two years since Vegas 13 came so we have saved quite a bit of money.

What we professionals need is the best tools available to get the work done, quickly and professionally. The extra 50$ or so disappears into oblivion just minutes after payment, or when the next customer pays the invoice and is happy with the professional video we did using Vegas Pro.

For those who are ready to scream and curse because of the $249 instead of $199 I think they would be happier either staying with Vegas 13 or whatever they have, move down to Movie Studio or some other amateur level program, or choose something else.

Having that said, now Vegas is not perfect yet, and no other platform out there is either. And the launch of Vegas 14 with subsequent communication break down was terrible. But Vegas is alive and kicking, moving forward step by step. Features are added and the professional requirements are being met more and more. This process takes people working hard to improve it and they can't do it for free. We don't do videos for free, do we? Neither should the Vegas team do that. They need cash on the barrel just like anyone else. So they should charge a fair amount. $249 is not that much. After we pay that we can continue to ask for more improvments - and I am sure that will come.

For my part I have decided to upgrade to Vegas Pro 14 and continue onboard the editing platform that has enabled me to make a living with it since 2008. I hope more pros will do the same.

To the Vegas development team: Hang in there! Go pro! As long as Vegas is top notch it will be worth paying for.

Comments

ushere wrote on 9/23/2016, 8:31 AM

whilst i agree with your view that vegas is a top notch nle i'm afraid that's where it stops as well. the fact that magix has made a complete hash of it's roll out and upgrade process is one thing, but what 14 actually offers is more of a point release than anything else. the things that made me move to resolve still haven't been addressed, such as gpu implementation and now, having read the first reviews, the new bugs surfacing in 14 only make me more wary of investing...

yes, i'm a professional too who makes a living out of video production and as you point out, shouldn't begrudge the cost of upgrading, which i wouldn't if the above wasn't true, but it is. i put up with vegas's quirks whilst it was owned by scs in the hope that things would progress past the gimmicky add ons such as 3d, and that they'd finally get around to fixing the basic problems, but they never did and i kept paying for upgrades thinking the more i supported them the more likely the fixes would eventuate. well i'm not going to start with that line of thinking with magix. i'll pay as and when i see a product worth paying for, if they value my loyalty then i would expect a discount upgrade price, if not i'd still happily pay for a product that does what it promises to do, buy vegas still doesn't do that yet.

i shan't even get into the fact that my nle has to be connected to the net for installation... 

with the kerfuffle during the last months of 13 i moved to resolve, a free and extremely powerful nle, not as intuitive nor user-friendly as vegas, but much more stable and by far more reliable than vegas. we're talking about a FREE highly sophisticated nle that is in a constant state of development and used by PROFESSIONALS around the world. i put professional in caps because it is aimed at that market, as is all their offerings - magix, so far, has the feeling of trying to appeal across the board and in my opinion fall flat on its face when it comes to handling the professional market.

i live in hope but i'm not holding my breath...

winrockpost wrote on 9/23/2016, 8:50 AM

I make my living in video production,I stay in business making informed decisions on equipment purchases which help us stay current and efficient ,.not by making fanboy purchases

Rob_Vegas wrote on 9/23/2016, 8:54 AM

I agree it's not about the money but it is about confidence in the product and the company behind it. The lack of professionalism shown so far does make me wonder if this would be a good time to consider other video editing software.

We've had an ambiguous email offer only received by some owners of Vegas suggesting you 'upgrade' to the version you already have followed by a member of staff telling people not to take it but to wait for another one. That other offer turns out to cost more which together with confusion over what's the new price, what's an upgrade and time limits on the offers suggests some internal communication problems at least.

It also appears those that did pay for the upgrade haven't necessarily received them as yet which should have been possible to organise if you're in control of the launch date.

As you say for most people Vegas 13 is still perfectly usable so it's not so much a case of worrying about paying $50 more for 14 but the option of putting the full $250 towards something else.

If the current problems are indicative of future trouble then it would only be sensible to think about moving to other software whilst you have the time to make a smooth transition rather than being forced to later on.

Sedazin wrote on 9/23/2016, 8:55 AM

In the end it is not about $50. It is about proffessionality. There is really nothing professional about the launch of V14. It is a mess based on the lack of clear communication ending in frustration for a lot of people. This is not professional at all. This puts a shadow over all the efforts in developing a new version of the software and the team in which the whole community trusts.

This is what makes people/customers hesitate and think about their relationship to the new owner of Vegas. 

There would habe been a much better way to handle this.

chap wrote on 9/23/2016, 11:25 AM

I'll gladly pay whatever it costs to keep the program alive and going.  I'd pay even more if they made it so that it could actually export to DaVinci Resolve and Pro Tools.  I have never had success with that and usually when i move from Pre production to Post produciton I have to spend a lot of time converting the projects.  That said, the time i save in pre producition is worth it to stick with vegas.

What I would really like to see is some better authentication efforts to protect their work.  I wonder how many illegal copies of Vegas there are out there.  I saw a couple colleagues the other day (loose colleagues, not friends) who both had a copy of Vegas that they used for YouTube editors.  They said they just pulled it free from a torrent site.

If you think about how many YouTube creators there are probably using the illegal version of Vegas I can imagine that's where all the dev money has gone.

It seems like Adobe finally got ahead of their piracy curve by making creative cloud and subscription, then making rapid releases with small incremental changes.  When i asked these same two editors about adobe, they said they used to pirate it, but because the rapid release means doing another install 3x per year (the newest Premiere cannot be opened by the last one, and so on...), It was just more time efficient to spend the $50/month.

Sony got caught with their pants down mid cycle, and missed a chance to bring Vegas mainstream when FCP lost their foothold in the pro sector. 

Rapid release = steady cash flow = better program = more users = bigger cash flow = more rapid releases = more users, etc.

And this program has to become OSX friendly if it ever wants to survive long term.

Just my 2 cents.

chap

ushere wrote on 9/23/2016, 6:48 PM

@ chap - started off using dnxhd 185 for bouncing between vegas <> resolve but have now started using xavc-i and am very happy with it...

sorry there old chap ;-) didn't catch on you were talking tl...

chap wrote on 9/23/2016, 7:07 PM

has anyone been able to push a timeline to resolve and protools?

Tchak wrote on 9/23/2016, 11:27 PM

I think Vegas Pro should continue to move forward for the professionals using it. Improve stability, pro format support, GPU-rendering, and so forth. Then charge for it. For those of us who use Vegas Pro daily doing film commercially, earning money, with paying customers, 50$ more or less is nothing. The 249 or 349 for the suite is much less than what Adobe subscribers pay every year. Now it has been more than two years since Vegas 13 came so we have saved quite a bit of money.

What we professionals need is the best tools available to get the work done, quickly and professionally. The extra 50$ or so disappears into oblivion just minutes after payment, or when the next customer pays the invoice and is happy with the professional video we did using Vegas Pro.

Not all of us are professionals. I do it because I like it, but I demand the professional versions because what I do I do it well and the features I want are not in the Studio versions. $50 may be chump change to some, but for me it's a lot. When I worked I didn't think twice about shelling out $600 for software but I'm retired now and I edit because it's what I enjoy doing. $50 may be the determining factor for some on wheather to upgrade or wait for a better price later.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 9/24/2016, 3:36 AM

For sure the communication was not a lucky one.

But it is not valid to use the communication flaws to assess if Magix is committed to continue the development of the product. I think they are commited to do so and we have to assume that they will continue here, otherwise the purchase of Vegas would not have made sense.

So what I will like to see is that the development team can continue to improve Vegas. I have also Edius here, but Vegas is still my favorite. And I like to see that Vegas becomes more and more professional, now supporting ProRes but also the UHD resolution available by Deckink 4K cards. That is great for me (and I do not earn my money from my video activities).

They need a higher price to maintain Vegas I think, and that is ok for me. The 50$ is not even worth the discussion.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

fr0sty wrote on 9/24/2016, 4:57 AM

I dropped the full $800 on the suite. I don't regret my purchase. While there are areas I do wish they had taken more time on (GPU support should have been a primary focus), I am excited about the new possibilities this software has provided me with. I also am loving how the most annoying bugs Vegas had in the past (for me) have been fixed. 

I am happy Magix ended up with it. WAY better than Sony ever was with it.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Sedazin wrote on 9/24/2016, 5:57 AM

Bugfixes, UHD, ProRes, HEVC ... other Products provide stuff like this as free updates ... as well as support of modern GPUs ...