HDR-FX1E: cineframe 25 footage with shallow dof and shot transitions

dreamlx wrote on 11/26/2004, 8:23 AM
Some cineframe 25 footage with shallow dof and shot transitions which my wife and I filmed last week can be downloaded here: http://www.prnet.org (~6min film duration, ~200mb)

The footage has been rendered to 720p WMV9 5mbit using Sony Vegas 5.0b. Actually sound is missing as the music I used is freely downloadable but there is no indication whether it can be used to dub films or not. I have mailed the authors and if I receive a positive answer, I will repost the file with audio included.

Here one question to music: Is the BackTraxx collection worth ordering it ? Can these tracks also be used for films made available via the internet ?

Camera settings where : WB SHIFT +7, CINEFRAME25 ON, CINEGAMMA OFF, SHUTTER FIXED AT 50, GAIN FIXED AT 0DB, FOCUS MANUAL, AUTO EXPOSURE, STEADYSHOT OFF

A slight S-curve was applied in post. Apart from this, the footage is unaltered. There are scenes that could have been better with a color correction applied, but I wanted to leave the footage with almost no alteration for demo purposes.

Comments

rextilleon wrote on 11/26/2004, 11:53 AM
Wow--love the DOF on the shot with the reed in the foreground and rolling hills in the background---looks like an excellent camera.
rique wrote on 11/26/2004, 1:25 PM
Ditto for the rack focus from the branches in the bg to the red berries in the foreground.
farss wrote on 11/26/2004, 2:01 PM
Looks great and the rack focus is VERY impressive.
Even if the camera didn't offer HD being able to get that kind of shot in 16:9 is more than reason enough to buy the camera.

There's nothing in there that'd really stress HDV though, what I want to see is say a wide shot panned accross a crowd of moving people, preferably in bright clothes. I'd do it myself but our only camera seems to be on permanent hire, if it gets a 'rest' I'll give it a whirl.
Bob.
mark2929 wrote on 11/26/2004, 2:13 PM
Sony have excelled themselves... I want ONE... This Camera is the First One to have the Stuff I Want ...The Depth of field NEGATES The need for a mini 35 ....I have been looking at the Motorola V3 tOday "Star Trek" Technology ? what an exciting world its becoming... Thanks Sony for allowing the Boffins at Sony HQ To develop This awesome Kit ! Now all I have to do is write Santa ......

aaaaw (The Pro) iTS Not available till February...
vectorskink wrote on 11/26/2004, 7:09 PM
The prnet.org server keeps disconnecting my download! Can anybody post it on a reliable server?

Cheers!
Tim
dreamlx wrote on 11/26/2004, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately so many people have downloaded it that the daily transfer limit (5gbytes) was nearly reached on my main fast and reliable server. It is now running temporarly on local server on a slower line, and will be again running on the fast and reliable server later today.

Many thanks to all for your interest in the file.
Grazie wrote on 11/26/2004, 11:55 PM
. I can't download either . . duoah . . me wanna see too!

Grazie :(
Grazie wrote on 11/27/2004, 12:02 AM
. . now telling me its got 10 hours to go! . .
farss wrote on 11/27/2004, 12:13 AM
Grazie,
take my word for it, it's Bewtifull. Actually I thinks it's kind of New England or is it New South Wales?
Actually for me the really amazing bit isn't so much the camera, cameras that could take that quality of image aren't new, just the price.
It's that it's now feasible to download an almost cinematic experience, there's a kind of super reality to HD that I think affects us differently to SD, probably because it's much closer to the limits of our own eyes resolution. So perhaps that'll be the real impact of Sony's camera, after all, the technology only has meaning in how it affects us, without that it's all just numbers.
Bob.
Grazie wrote on 11/27/2004, 12:19 AM
.. oh yes Bob, very VERY well said . . and yes for me, I need to see some of the financial sting being removed first .. my normal suppliers here in London are falling over themselves with early adopter "offers" - this on the F though, not the Z . .

But, about the sample, its now saying 6 hours to go! Bob, can you send me some "screen" grabs of it?

Grazie
Grazie wrote on 11/27/2004, 1:58 AM
. . ugghhh .. 5 hours to go on download . . I'm outta here . . G
farss wrote on 11/27/2004, 3:05 AM
They're on their way, be warned LARGE attachments.
Grazie wrote on 11/27/2004, 3:13 AM
Yes - I've got Bob's LARGE attachments [ LOL! ] . . . Bob, thank you . . .
dreamlx wrote on 11/27/2004, 3:46 AM
farss: well this was shot in Luxembourg... :-)
PeterWright wrote on 11/27/2004, 3:58 AM
Hey, thanks Dreamix - we need these fixes whilst we're waiting for the "Z" release.

The subtlety in the colours is breathtaking.

Some of the pull focuses seemed to be between layers of leaves or branches not too far from each other - what degree of zoom did you use?
farss wrote on 11/27/2004, 4:25 AM
Wow,
I'd assumed it was somewhere in the USA, stupid me. I've certainly seen parts of the US that look very much like they belong in Europe and that's where I thought it was.
Bob.
Spot|DSE wrote on 11/27/2004, 7:19 AM
Dreamix,
Send me a link to the M2T file, we'll host it for you if you'd like.
mark2929 wrote on 11/27/2004, 7:40 AM
This Footage was so Good... Spots advice... Grazie was Helpfull... I had to sign up for this... So I Preordered the Z1 for February !
dreamlx wrote on 11/27/2004, 7:56 AM
spot, can you please drop me a mail to admin at prnet dot org so that I know your email address, I would like to to speak private to you about the details concerning hosting of the m2t file.
dreamlx wrote on 11/27/2004, 8:19 AM
PeterWright: Well was one week ago, so I don't remember exactly, I think most footage was shot near max zoom.
mark2929 wrote on 11/27/2004, 9:19 AM
Dreamlx

So were you Quite a distance away... Then Zoomed in to achieve that Incredible DOF ?
Also at 5:48 IN the Background you have some branches out of Focus.. Then in the foreground you have a twig out of Focus... With Some leaves Midway sharply in focus.. This is incredible.. How is this done ? Is this a low f stop or is this some kind of on board camera Function ?

Typo Corrected
dreamlx wrote on 11/27/2004, 9:27 AM
mark2929: Yes, I was some distance away and zoomed in. Most of the scenes are shot somewhere around F3 if I remember well. The builtin ND's have been used, there was no external ND on camera. Shutter speed was fixed at 1/50 and gain at 0db.
mark2929 wrote on 11/27/2004, 9:38 AM
Dreamlx Thanks :)

If you used an ND Filter on the Lens and got it down to say f1:6, I wonder how close you could get to the Object then and achieve that DOF.. The reason I ask is because I would like to be able to Film within 10 Feet of an Object Person so that you could achieve a decent DOF In a Normal size room ect

Barry_Green wrote on 11/27/2004, 9:43 AM
There's nothing about the FX1 that is giving it less DOF than any other 1/3" camera. You could get exactly the same DOF out of an XL2 or PD170 or(assuming the focal length was the same) a DVX.

DOF is determined by the lens focal length, distance to the subject, and aperture. Set those all the same, and it won't matter whether you're shooting with an FX1, a Z1, a DVX, an XL2, an XL1, a PD150, or any other 1/3" camera: the DOF will be exactly the same.