How Can I Use VP 20 To Color Grade My Pink Skin?

Ken-Theriot wrote on 5/19/2023, 6:09 PM

I made a quick video using my new iPhone 14 Pro, and I can't get it to NOT make me look all pink. Here is a pic from a short vid I just did with the phone (back ("good") camera). For lighting I have Viltrox LED lights with the temp set to 5600K. Any tips or recommendations for a good tutorial for color grading for skin tones in Vergas Pro 20? Thanks!

Comments

Robert Johnston wrote on 5/19/2023, 7:45 PM

The Vectorscope in Vegas 20 has a skin tone line to aid in adjusting skin tones. This link I found in another post, has some good information about using the vectorscope and some effects to adjust skin tones. It's was written for another NLE, but you might be able to adapt it to Vegas.

https://larryjordan.com/articles/color-correction-make-people-look-normal/

Intel Core i7 10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz (to 4.65GHz), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GBytes. Memory 32 GBytes DDR4. Also Intel UHD Graphics 630. Mainboard: Dell Inc. PCI-Express 3.0 (8.0 GT/s) Comet Lake. Bench CPU Multi Thread: 5500.5 per CPU-Z.

Vegas Pro 21.0 (Build 108) with Mocha Vegas

Windows 11 not pro

Ken-Theriot wrote on 5/19/2023, 8:00 PM

Thanks Robert. I will look into that.

mark-y wrote on 5/19/2023, 8:11 PM

The color temperature of your LED light should more closely match your ambient (background) lighting.

Ken-Theriot wrote on 5/19/2023, 8:49 PM

The color temperature of your LED light should more closely match your ambient (background) lighting.

For this video, I started out in a pretty dark room, so there really was no ambient lighting. I did that on purpose so that the iPhone didn't have to use 2 light sources for its white balance, etc. I can set the temp of the lights to warmer, but wouldn't that make me even MORE red/pink?

Former user wrote on 5/19/2023, 9:21 PM

@Ken-Theriot Hi, there's plenty of people on here that know more than me but I was just going through the LUTs I have, I had to do it anyway, a little while ago I moved their file folder so had to go through & relink them in Vegas, prob is what shade of pink are you normally? 😁 The LUTs that made you look better also made you look paler because they took away the red, Can you post a pic of your true colour, I'm just curious now, scrolling through the LUTs seeing your face I need to know now 🤔🤣🤷‍♂️

mark-y wrote on 5/19/2023, 9:31 PM

Making the color temperature lower (warmer) will add yellow to the skin tone. Also, take care what your camera white balances on. A neutral card in front of your face will start you in a good place.

RogerS wrote on 5/19/2023, 9:38 PM

Make sure the phone isn't in HDR mode.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

john_dennis wrote on 5/19/2023, 11:14 PM

Ken-Theriot wrote on 5/20/2023, 11:29 AM

@Ken-Theriot Hi, there's plenty of people on here that know more than me but I was just going through the LUTs I have, I had to do it anyway, a little while ago I moved their file folder so had to go through & relink them in Vegas, prob is what shade of pink are you normally? 😁 The LUTs that made you look better also made you look paler because they took away the red, Can you post a pic of your true colour, I'm just curious now, scrolling through the LUTs seeing your face I need to know now 🤔🤣🤷‍♂️

Thanks Gid. Here is the correct "me" - from my standard Lumix G7.

Ken-Theriot wrote on 5/20/2023, 11:35 AM

Thanks John! I'll give that a whirl. Quick question - is there a way to tell Vegas Pro 20 what the goal color is? Gid asked for a pic with the correct color on my face should be and here is that pic (from my Lumix G7).

john_dennis wrote on 5/20/2023, 1:03 PM
  • The correction in the color grading panel is not extreme. (My effort is likely not the end point.)
  • When you arrive at a good balance you could save the setting and apply it to all your future video.

I would:

• work on the overall lighting to get a good balance without much correction.
  • just use the Lumix G7 to record the podcast.
Former user wrote on 5/20/2023, 5:26 PM

@Ken-Theriot Hi, thanks for sharing that second pic, I needed to know if you know what I mean,😉

Anyway like I say I don't have much experience with this, I'm more used to playing with colours in GIMP (similar to Photoshop) so I watched a few vids, this one in particular

In that vid he creates/changes the two images by compositing with Luminance a grey layer over the top, then used Curves to make them match as close as poss,

I thought I'd try that in Vegas but there's no Luminance in Vegas, so i exported your pics from GIMP, placed them on the timeline & adjusted the Track Color Grading curves.

It sort of works, you're still a bit pink tho, , maybe with some other adjustments, contrast etc.. 🤣

alifftudm95 wrote on 5/21/2023, 12:15 AM

You can use HSL curve to make broader adjustment (Broader control = Less banding) on the sampled skin color. Small movement only.

Editor and Colorist (Kinda) from Malaysia

MYPOST Member

PC DEKSTOP

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

GPU: RTX3090 24GB

RAM: 64GB 3200MHZ

MOBO: X570-E

Storage:

C DRIVE NVME M.2 1TB SSD GEN 4

D DRIVE NVME M.2 2TB SSD GEN 4

E DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

F DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

G DRIVE HDD 1TB

Monitor: Asus ProArt PA279CV 4K HDR (Bought on 30 August 2023)

Monitor: BenQ PD2700U 4K HDR (RIP on 30 August 2023)

Ken-Theriot wrote on 5/21/2023, 12:25 AM
  • The correction in the color grading panel is not extreme. (My effort is likely not the end point.)
  • When you arrive at a good balance you could save the setting and apply it to all your future video.

I would:

• work on the overall lighting to get a good balance without much correction.
  • just use the Lumix G7 to record the podcast.

Thanks John. I use the G7 for 95% of my videos. I just needed to do a demo specifically using the iPhone for this. I appreciate the info!

Ken-Theriot wrote on 5/21/2023, 12:25 AM

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Adis-a wrote on 5/21/2023, 12:45 PM

How's this:

Ken-Theriot wrote on 5/21/2023, 12:59 PM

How's this:

Thanks. That looks awesome!

Adis-a wrote on 5/21/2023, 2:13 PM

Glad I could help. :)