How do I render a series of clips with a transparent background?

huskereurocat wrote on 8/1/2022, 10:06 AM

I'm trying to render a series of clips with the transparent background that I created in Photoshop. Since I'm trying to put this rendered layer on top of an existing layer (in which I need to see the layer underneath), I need to have the background transparent when I place the rendered clip, not the black background that it currently renders with.

Comments

DMT3 wrote on 8/1/2022, 10:13 AM

You have to render to a Codec that supports an alpha channel. Normally these are uncompressed, but a few compressed formats (such as Pro Res) support the alpha.
Also when you import a video with a transparent background (alpha channel), be sure you enable that under file properties.

Jack S wrote on 8/1/2022, 10:15 AM

@huskereurocat I'm confused. You show in your image that the events you've created with transparent backgrounds, don't have any events on the track below. In this case, there is nothing underneath to show through the transparency, so the background will be black.

Have you tried moving them back on the timeline so that they're directly above the events on track 2?

My system
Genshin Infinity Gaming PC
Motherboard Gigabyte H610M H: m-ATX w/, USB 3.2, 1 x M.2
Power Supply Corsair RM750X
Intel Core i7-13700K - 16-Core [8P @ 3.4GHz-5.4GHz / 8E @ 2.50GHz-4.20GHz]
30MB Cache + UHD Graphics, Ultimate OC Compatible
Case Fan 4 x CyberPowerPC Hyperloop 120mm ARGB & PWM Fan Kit
CPU Fan CyberPowerPC Master Liquid LITE 360 ARGB AIO Liquid Cooler, Ultimate OC Compatible
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5/5200MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB
MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 8GB - Ray Tracing Technology, DX12, VR Ready, HDMI, DP
System drive 1TB WD Black SN770 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD - 5150MB/s Read & 4900MB/s Write
Storage 2 x 2TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM
Windows 11 Home (x64)
Monitors
Generic Monitor (PHL 222V8) connected to GeForce RTX 4060 Ti
Generic Monitor (SAMSUNG) connected to iGPU

Camcorder
SONY Handycam HDR-XR550VE

huskereurocat wrote on 8/2/2022, 12:00 AM

You have to render to a Codec that supports an alpha channel. Normally these are uncompressed, but a few compressed formats (such as Pro Res) support the alpha.
Also when you import a video with a transparent background (alpha channel), be sure you enable that under file properties.

I tried to render using the Pro Res Codec and even after I enable alpha in the file properties, it still has a black background. Any other suggestions? Pro Res is listed as Apple in Vegas. Is that going to work since I have a Windows machine?

huskereurocat wrote on 8/2/2022, 12:09 AM

@huskereurocat I'm confused. You show in your image that the events you've created with transparent backgrounds, don't have any events on the track below. In this case, there is nothing underneath to show through the transparency, so the background will be black.

Have you tried moving them back on the timeline so that they're directly above the events on track 2?

If I move the clips to the timeline and then render that, I get the background of what is on the layer below. In this case, my game footage. There are 17 regular season games and what you saw above is just one of those games. I want the render to be on a transparent background so that the layer below will show through in each game. If not possible, I can just make clips in Photoshop for each render. It's just that having an mp4 to plop on that track is much more convenient than having to create new clips each time I want to render that section of the timeline.

john_dennis wrote on 8/2/2022, 12:21 AM

@huskereurocat

"It's just that having an mp4 to plop on that track is much more convenient than having to create new clips each time I want to render that section of the timeline."

Therein lies the problem. MP4 doesn't support transparency.

3POINT wrote on 8/2/2022, 12:29 AM

I'm trying to render a series of clips with the transparent background that I created in Photoshop.

The transparent generated clips in photoshop are just stills and saved in .png format? Just create a separate Vegasproject with those transparent clips and nest that project into the timeline of your new project. No need to render a video with transparency.

john_dennis wrote on 8/2/2022, 12:41 AM

@huskereurocat

As @3POINT said:

Dexcon wrote on 8/2/2022, 1:26 AM

To render with transparency in Vegas Pro, select the 'Video for Windows' format and then the appropriate template. The template can be changed by selecting the Customise Template button and in the Frame Size field of the template window that opens a custom setting or oroject settings can be chosen/coded option. In the Video Format field, select the Uncompressed option and then further down the template window check the 'Render alpha channel' option - then render.

The downside of this approach is that the .avi file created will be huge. It's been a while since I've used an .avi file with transparency, but I seem to recall that when putting the rendered .avi file on the timeline, it is necessary to select Properties for the event, select the Media tab and make a selection in the Alpha Channel field of one of the alpha channel options.

Last changed by Dexcon on 8/2/2022, 6:22 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

Former user wrote on 8/2/2022, 6:16 AM

@huskereurocat Hi, Apple ProRes you have to choose Prores XQ

but the file i just produced of a 0.06sec title was 5.95GB

I use MagicYUV, that produces a file of 745mb

It's a paid for product but not expensive

https://www.magicyuv.com/

3POINT wrote on 8/2/2022, 9:22 AM

Alternatively, to avoid giant video files with transparency, you also can export to an image(.png) sequence an reimport that image sequence into your Vegasproject for overlay.

huskereurocat wrote on 8/2/2022, 3:18 PM

@huskereurocat

As @3POINT said:

Thank you everyone for your input. This was the ticket. I didn't realize that you could import a project file into another project. I thought it had to be rendered. The rendered finish using this method is below.

That will make other clips, that I used to render into videos, much easier to save and import as source material for future projects. 😁

3POINT wrote on 8/2/2022, 3:51 PM

Ofcourse 1000 frames say more than my few words...

Jonathan-Hill wrote on 10/17/2022, 6:38 AM

I wanted to do the same thing you are doing. So what I did, was anything that I wanted transparent I added a green screen to the back ground then used colour chroma to remove the green screen. Worked pretty good. Although I think I will try the above idea and see how that goes. Hopefully simpler and easier.

Windows 10 pro(64bit) Version 20H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700k CPU 3.6GHZ
32MB memory
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 Super Video Card
Vegas Pro 18 (build 527)

Editing Go Pro Videos. 4K 2160 x 3840 (no effects, no colour correction, simple cut and splice only)

Rendering the same 4K 2160 x 3840 AVC

Jonathan-Hill wrote on 10/17/2022, 6:54 AM

Wow, oh wow!

I just tried the above. Importing a project into a project. This is amazing. Glad I read the above comments.

Jon

Windows 10 pro(64bit) Version 20H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700k CPU 3.6GHZ
32MB memory
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 Super Video Card
Vegas Pro 18 (build 527)

Editing Go Pro Videos. 4K 2160 x 3840 (no effects, no colour correction, simple cut and splice only)

Rendering the same 4K 2160 x 3840 AVC

FayFen wrote on 10/17/2022, 8:56 AM

Just for the record I will add that the GV HQX codec also support alpha in AVI.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Grass-Valley-HQX-Codec

As I'm new to VP19 , I just tested it. A 10sec 1080 text with shadow clip took 2Gb with prores vs ~14MB with HQX

huskereurocat wrote on 10/17/2022, 10:26 AM

Just for the record I will add that the GV HQX codec also support alpha in AVI.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Grass-Valley-HQX-Codec

As I'm new to VP19 , I just tested it. A 10sec 1080 text with shadow clip took 2Gb with prores vs ~14MB with HQX

You lost me now! I have Vegas Pro 18 and I downloaded and installed this codec, but I don't see it as a render option. How do I use this new codec in VP18?

https://imgur.com/XVD7Hcw

Last changed by huskereurocat on 10/17/2022, 10:30 AM, changed a total of 3 times.

Ryzen 7 5800x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's

FayFen wrote on 10/17/2022, 10:41 AM

From Dexcon answer above: "To render with transparency in Vegas Pro, select the 'Video for Windows' format and then the appropriate template. The template can be changed by selecting the Customise Template button and in the Frame Size field of the template window that opens a custom setting or oroject settings can be chosen/coded option"

Ashtrey-Gaming wrote on 4/29/2023, 6:23 PM

@huskereurocat

As @3POINT said:

Thanks So much for this, I would never have thought of doing it that way and my animation still works! Thanks Heaps.