How many cores are beneficial?

Andrew B wrote on 12/28/2015, 3:51 AM
Is there a point where extra processing cores are overkill in Vegas?
We are putting together a new workstation that will be used 90% of the time for vegas editing and rendering. All either full HD or 4k videos.
With dual XEON chips, we have lots of options. With faster-clocked 6-core or slower clocked 10 core chips somewhat similar in price, any advice on which way to go?

First, a little more info:
The other 10% of the time our system will probably be running hitfilm or after effects (older version that takes advantage of multiple processors).

So the system we are looking at will have a solid state OS drive (maybe a new Intel 750 1.2GB) and the 'work drive' will be a RAID0 set of 2TB SSDs (Samsung Pros or similar). We will also have another SSD as the 'render to' drive for the final product.

We are looking at the Titan X 12GB Video Card.

So our real question is which XEON chips we should choose.
Remember we are getting two of them
In the running currently (but we are open to other suggestions)
E5-2667 v3 - 8-core 3.2GHz
E5-2650 v3 - 10-core 2.3GHz
E5-2630 v3 - 8-core 2.4GHz

So the question is, for Sony Vegas, should we opt for more cores or faster GHz?

Thanks for your opinions!

Andrew

ps - I know there are lots of past threads regarding this, but it is usually regarding XEON vs i7 and not actually regarding the number of cores.

Comments

Jamon wrote on 12/28/2015, 6:01 AM
Out of those choices, the first one is twice the cost of the second, but I don't think is anywhere near twice the performance, and you might not even notice much difference. But the second choice is probably a little faster than the third, so if you don't want the lowest price then the second choice looks like the best.

I hope you at least have nightly backups, and realize the risk you're taking in running a stripe of 2TB disks. It sounds like this is for a professional purpose, so I'd hate to be around when those fail while approaching a deadline.

I don't know about that GPU, since Sony seems to hate Nvidia. If you believe the forums, it'll be slower than an ATI card from 20 years ago.
Chienworks wrote on 12/28/2015, 7:10 AM
Definitely go for RAID1 over RAID0. If you're really that concerned about the speed that modern drives just don't cut it for you then go with four drives in RAID10.

This is just a gut feeling, but there are still a lot of processes that use fewer cores rather than more, and these processes will benefit from the fastest clock speed possible.
musicvid10 wrote on 12/28/2015, 9:05 AM
Six cores is enough even with optimized encoders, Vegas not being one of them.
OldSmoke wrote on 12/28/2015, 9:08 AM
+1 musicvid

I would rather build a 5930K or 5960K system because clock speed is more important. Also keep I mind that Xeon CPU don't run at higher clock speeds on all cores. Save the money and buy a R9 Fury X for your system. And certainly don't buy a Titan card, it's not well supported.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

john_dennis wrote on 12/28/2015, 12:48 PM

"So our real question is which XEON chips we should choose. Remember we are getting two of them."

E5-2667 v3 - 8-core 3.2GHz

Find something to run in the background like SETI@Home. Backup often if you use RAID 0. Happy computing.

Andrew B wrote on 12/28/2015, 12:50 PM
So other than RAID options and going with an ATI card (thank you for this info), I'm still not sure about core count making a difference with Vegas.

Has any one ever checked if Vegas will really use all cores when rendering? If it maxes out at 6 or 8, it probably makes more sense to simply go with a fast i7 system.

Thoughts?
john_dennis wrote on 12/28/2015, 1:05 PM

"Has any one ever checked if Vegas will really use all cores when rendering?"

The core utilization is dependent on the encoder. The software maximum video render threads default is 16. I've observed encoders using all eight at 100% and also using all eight at less. No cores were idle, just not pegged.

[Anecdotal Evidence]

1080-24p

Mainconcept MPEG-2 Blu-ray 1920x1080-24p 25 mbps

Mainconcept AVC-MVC Bluray 1080-24p 25mbps

Sony XAVC Intra 1920x1080-24p

HDCAM SR 444 1080-24p

Vegas2Handbrake

Image Sequence (DPX)

[/Anecdotal Evidence]

2017-05-25 Repaired broken links caused by Dropbox software change.

Tim Stannard wrote on 12/30/2015, 12:12 PM
I'm about to spec my new system. Reading several threads here the suggestion is more cores is generally better. Assuming cost isn't an issue (there's little in it anyway) would people recommend and older i7 5820 o/c @ 4.2GHz or an i7 6700 o/c @ 4.4GHz

(I'll be combining this with an SSD system drive, PCI-E 1.2TB SSD project drive, AMD R9 390X and 32GB RAM)

I have to say the considerably lower TDP (and consequently cooler running) of the 6700 is tempting.

I will be working mainly in HD although I may be using 4K source from time to time.
wilvan wrote on 12/31/2015, 12:52 AM
Vegas pro 13 definitely uses all cores of my dual Xeon HP Z820 systems when rendering.
Absolutely no doubt about that .

The restrictions of only 16 cores can be overruled in internal prefs settings .
Same way the max preview RAM amount can be overruled in internal prefs .

Sony  PXW-FS7K and 2 x Sony PXW-Z280  ( optimised as per Doug Jensen Master Classes and Alister Chapman advices ) Sony A7 IV
2 x HP Z840 workstations , each as follows : WIN10 pro x 64 , 2 x 10 core Xeon E5-2687W V3 at 3.5 GHz , 256 GB reg ECC RAM , HP nvidia quadro RTX A5000 ( 24GB ), 3 x samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4  , 3 x SSD 1TB samsung 860 pro , 3 x 3TB WD3003FZEX.
SONY Vegas Pro 13 build 453  ( user since version 4 ) , SONY DVDarch , SONY SoundForge(s) , SONY Acid Pro(s) , SONY Cinescore ( each year buying upgrades for all of them since vegas pro 4 )
(MAGIX) Vegas pro 14 ( bought it as a kind of support but never installed it )
SONY CATALYST browse 
Adobe Photoshop  CC 2023
Adobe After Effects CC 2023 & Adobe Media Encoder CC 2023
Avid Media Composer 2022.xx ( started with the FREE Avid Media Composer First in 2019 )
Dedicated solely editing systems , fully optimized , windows 10 pro x 64 
( win10 pro operating systems , all most silly garbage and kid's stuff of microsoft entirely removed , never update win 10 unless required for editing purposes or ( maybe ) after a while when updates have proven to be reliable and no needless microsoft kid's stuff is added in the updates )

Wolfgang S. wrote on 12/31/2015, 6:54 AM
Interesting. For me the number of max. rendering threats always jumps back to 16 in the internal preferences too if I try to increase that.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo

Stringer wrote on 12/31/2015, 9:42 AM
Running SSD's in RAID 0 can't have any possible benefit for Vegas, while exposing you to serious data loss as mentioned by Jamon.
I ran RAID0 SSD's for a while just for grins, and while the benchmarks are impressive, the real world performance over a single SSD wasn't really noticeable if you don't count faster start-up time for applications.

RAID 1, might make more sense, or if you don't want to give up the space, make sure you have an aggressive back-up plan.
musicvid10 wrote on 12/31/2015, 1:09 PM
The history of performance of RAID 0 with video encoding over the past twenty years is not very favorable.
Drive throughput has rarely if ever been shown to be a bottleneck over those same years.
For those who don't do full backups daily, RAID 1 has a legitimate place in video production, however.
astar wrote on 12/31/2015, 2:16 PM
Core count matters, but here are some other factors that matter almost more so:

* Memory amount - windows needs more than you think is excesses due to disk cache

* Optimized memory bandwidth and latency - DDR4 system with 32GB of ram would be much better than a old low GHZ Xeon with high core count.

* GPU compute units - maxing this stat will optimize your opencl CPU+GPU hybrid. With AMD cards dividing the stream processors by 64 generally gives you the physical compute units on the GPU. You want even results, gpus with fractional results indicate disabled parts most likely due to manufacturing flaws. AMD X series has full compute units and hence the highest compute abilities. NV cards are pretty much the same in OPENCL mode but generally perform lower than AMD. CUDA is not effectively utilized in Vegas.

* PCIE 3.0+ GPU speed - make sure that your gpu is actually interfacing at 3.0 and not less due to sharing bandwith with other accessory cards. If the system memory is 20GBs and the GPU is 50-500GBs+ you can see how the PCIe3.0 interface is the bottle neck.

* DMI3.0 - DMI connects your GPU, RAM, CPU to your HDD. DMI 3.0 uses PCIe3.0 lanes which has more bandwidth, less overhead, and reduced latency.

* NVME support - if you have pcie ssd or M2 storage, this interface protocol allows for massive amounts of storage calls to be handles at once, this is a more native mode for sdd. Normal sata ssd has to work through an interface that was designed for old school hdd. Throughput may be fast on both, but it's the latency decrease that you see the most gains.

Seeing higher gpu/cpu utilization comes from a combination of optimized elements.

Also the max RENDER threads is just that, render threads. Single core systems can run multi threaded applications. Multiple cores help process multiple threads at once. If you dig deep in the preferences you will see the 16 threads render limit, as well as 8 more for AVC decoder alone, and there could be more. For practical systems there is still a shortage of physical cores. Hyper threading helps, but should not be considered a replacement for physical cores.

Andrew B wrote on 12/31/2015, 3:12 PM
"Vegas pro 13 definitely uses all cores of my dual Xeon HP Z820 systems when rendering.
Absolutely no doubt about that ."

wilvan,

Thanks for your input. It is hard enough to find a fellow Vegas user (outside of this forum) and even more difficult to find one using a dual Xeon system.

How many cores are in your Z820? Do you know which chips are in there?

Andrew
OldSmoke wrote on 1/1/2016, 1:19 AM
Would be nice to know the render times of a dual cpu system with the SCS Benchmark project. That would give everyone an idea how much better such a system would be.

System Spec.:

Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

Andrew B wrote on 1/1/2016, 1:27 AM
Thanks astar,

Excellent info.

I am up to speed with most of this, but heard that the M2 storage (while lightning fast) get a bit too hot and might not be reliable long term at this point. (At least the current crop of drives).

I also looked at the intel 750 PCIe drive and was told they might cause the machine to boot a bit slower, but once booted up, they are super quick. I looked at the 400GB drive, but feel that will be too small for my OS drive. The 1.4TB drive is pricey, but if I combined my OS and Application drive, it might make sense.

I am working with Puget Systems to build this PC. I built my last one and it lasted me many years of basically 20/7 usage, (even with a RAID0 work drive), but we want something that is reliable with a multiyear warrantee for business. Puget Systems seem very knowledgeable regarding Vegas (and other apps I will use - Adobe Suite, HitFilm, etc), but I do like to get the viewpoint of actual Vegas users with silimar systems. You know, those of us with real-world experience.

So all other things being equal (lots of fast DDR4 ram, AMD R9 Fury X, SSD OS Drive, Raid 10 SSD work drive, it seems the best option is a high GHz processor with a bunch of cores, but am I hearing that anything over 8 cores is a waste?

I am really tempted to go with a couple of Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 @ 3.10GHz (10 core) or Intel Xeon E5-2667 v3 @ 3.20GHz (8 core), but if Vegas maxes out at 8 cores, then why bother with 2 chips and not just go with a single overclocked i7 with 8 cores?

…and what do you think of the ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS motherboard? It looks like the D16 version of this board allows for XEON overclocking?

ah...decisions, decisions.

I am really interested to hear from anyone with a dual chip system that is showing decent utilization and if you are showing all cores being used. I don't need to see 100%, but I would imagine a 20 core 3.10Ghz system at 80% utilization would be pretty darn nice. Time is money, so if we can render faster and possible render while editing another project without performance loss, that is ideal!

Thanks everyone for the great input!!!

Andrew
astar wrote on 1/1/2016, 3:36 AM
Why do you think Vegas maxes out at 8 cores? On my system with a few AVC clips on the timeline in playback, I show Vegas running 93 Threads. That is not including Windows and other apps running in the background. Windows will utilize the amount of cores available and schedule service of all those threads.

Limits displayed in preferences are the amount of render threads, and under the hood there is another setting for 8 threads just for AVC decoding. That's 24 threads right there, not including video preview, audio indicators, ect, ect.
Andrew B wrote on 1/1/2016, 4:20 AM
Astar,

I was told by another Vegas user that Vegas would not take advantage of anything over 8 cores during rendering. It might have just been a limitation of his system. Of course, I wanted to confirm this with the experts here in the forum!

I know it depends on what codec you are using, but without any system other than our few i7 machines, it is hard to tell what Vegas will really take advantage of.

What chips are in your HP?

Andrew
OldSmoke wrote on 1/1/2016, 4:29 AM
Numbers of cores and numbers of threads are two very different things.

System Spec.:

astar wrote on 1/1/2016, 5:14 AM
Cores and Threads are two different things, one sits on top of the other. Hyper Threading shows windows more cores than are physical, and Windows handles the scheduling of thread service based on core availability.

If your core is maxed your system starts becoming unresponsive because other system threads are no longer getting the updates they need. This is why Windows limits application utilization at 90% so that your system continues to operate and accept commands.

Its not like Vegas is loading and asking you to dedicate cores to the application. This is why you can pop over to another app and still have 8 cores available to the app in use. If it did not work this way, Vegas would consume your system and leave you maybe 1 core to do other things, even it was idle in the background.

See Wiki on multi-threaded computing, obviously windows is more complex than that simple explanation.

Unless you are referring to the OS limits which for Windows 10 is 2 physical CPUs with 256 logical cores in the 64-bit versions. With HT enabled that 128 cores or 64 cores per CPU.

Vegas runs on the amount of Windows hardware you throw at it. What would be great would be multi GPU support of OpenCL computations in Vegas, to go along with all those cores on the Xeons, 5930 or 5960.