I found the best graphics card for Vegas Pro 12.0

Comments

NormanPCN wrote on 4/19/2014, 12:55 AM
I can confirm that in Vegas 13 that Mainconcept AVC OpenCL still does not support AMD graphics core next cards. 7xxx and R8/9 cards.

I tried a render with my 7950 get the same render time for CPU only and OpenCL if available. My 5850 still flies under MC AVC OpenCL if I take my 7950 out and put the 5850 back in. No driver change necessary.

Interestingly Adam SCS QA claimed, in this forum, that it works for him but would never reply with details. Everyone I have found online duplicates my reports.

I have banged my head against the wall with SCS support for well over a year on this one. They keep talking to me about "page peel" and other GPU accelerated effects. The support guy clearly does not understand the difference between the video engine GPU use and a file encoder GPU use.
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 4/19/2014, 9:55 AM
Don't have time to read this whole thing, but to be clear, the Quadro 4000 was very VERY long in the tooth for a long time. It had a very small number of cuda cores vs. many consumer cards. May very well be that ATI is being better utilized than nVidia, but I just wanted to make that clear, and I agree Quadro cards are not worth the money for Video editing.

Adobe doesn't utilize ati as well, and also has bugs in the processing with their Open CL encoding. So there is some benefit to a system that's been in place longer.

Dave H.
bigjezza wrote on 4/20/2014, 8:58 AM
So I just tried this test project on Vegas 13
i7 3930K, GTX770 337.50
Windows 8.1 Update 1
32GB RAM

Sony AVC Internet GPU: 21s
Sony AVC Internet CPU Only: 19s
Mainconcept Internet CPU Only: 32s
Mainconcept OpenCL: 32s
Mainconcept Cuda: 32s
Preview: 20fps

Is this basically telling me that Vegas is ignoring my GPU for encoding?
JohnnyRoy wrote on 4/20/2014, 11:53 AM
> "Is this basically telling me that Vegas is ignoring my GPU for encoding?"

Yea, that is currently the conclusion that we are all coming to from the data that we are seeing. Any NVIDIA GTX 6xx or 7xx (i.e., Kepler) card is not being used by Vegas Pro for rendering even though it is being used for accelerated playback. You need to stick with a 5xx series for GPU renders.

It looks like you are getting timeline GPU acceleration from those numbers.

Would any more Kepler users want to perform the test and confirm, or deny? We are interested in both Timeline acceleration and GPU acceleration numbers which is why I created the table the way that I did.

~jr
BruceUSA wrote on 4/20/2014, 12:27 PM
^ the above post, I am having a hard time to believe those render times. All I see is he is using a 3930K and he has gotten impressive render times for cpu only and gpu as well. I would like to see more evident of those times, (screen shot of finished rendering) I don't know what is his cpu clock frequency. But I can tell you this, I am running a 5.0Gghz 3930K and I don't get the 19s render times "CPU ONLY"

My CPU ONLY got 105s @5.0Ghz . 4.6Ghz get 120s

HERE IS A SCREEN SHOT OF FINISHED RENDERING 26s gpu render.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

NormanPCN wrote on 4/20/2014, 1:32 PM
BruseUSA. You are doing the Sony Press release project. JohnnyRoy has his own project posted in the OP.

In JR's test project on my 4770K 3.9Ghz and AMD 7950 GPU, and Sony AVC Internet 1080p30, I get about 15 second render times.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 4/20/2014, 1:41 PM
> "^ the above post, I am having a hard time to believe those render times"

I created the table that I did very carefully. When people don't follow it, things get confusing.

Bigjezza's post does not specify whether timeline GPU acceleration was on or off. I assume it was ON based on the numbers which only seem to reflect if the Render GPU was being used or not. Also this was with my test veg that is linked to in my original post.

You are showing the Red Car test which my Mac Pro 8-core Xeon 2.8Ghz with ATI Radeon HD 5870 rendered to MainConcept AVC Internet 1080-30p in 57 seconds (also detailed in my original post).

~jr
BruceUSA wrote on 4/20/2014, 1:57 PM
Thank you JohnnyRoy/NormaPCN for clarified. Yes I got confused with the Red Car project. Move on... :)

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

Windows 11 Pro

bigjezza wrote on 4/20/2014, 11:17 PM
Sorry guys, timeline GPU was on
It was JonnyRoy's .veg project that I used, not the press or redcar
Jvidiot wrote on 4/22/2014, 1:37 AM
Just to add to the confusion....

Here's my red car renders numbers from a i5-750 (@3.6Ghz) and ATI 7770:

GPU timeline off:
MC CPU only: 1:36 (same results with OpenCL selected)
Sony AVC CPU: 1:34 (same results with OpenCL selected)

GPU timeline on:
MC GPU (OpenCL): 1:05
Sony AVC GPU (OpenCL): :24

So, in my test case, the GCN radeon is helping with AVC renders, which is why I bought it. *phew* Was panicked when I saw that 7 series cards = no gpu acceleration. And it helps a little even with MC, altho it's obvious the encoder isn't using the GPU.

My old UD2 is dieing - need to upgrade. Hoped to wait it out for Hassee-E, but running out of operational PCie slots. So, 4770K and a cheap, reliable Z87 board is where I'm going this week. At least I don't need to upgrade the video card yet.

DavidMcKnight wrote on 7/5/2014, 10:29 PM
Amazing difference. Thank you JR for doing the legwork on this. I just installed an HD6970 that I bought from BruceUSA (thank you Bruce) and ran render tests on one of our projects. A piece of source material 2:56 long took 7:41 to render CPU-only using an i7-950 (Sony AVC 720p 20Mbps).

Switching the render template to OpenCL (after installing the new card, reboot, etc) brought the render time down to 1:47 in Vegas 12 and 1:30 in Vegas 13. Very nice.
BruceUSA wrote on 7/5/2014, 10:33 PM
DaveMcKnight,

Very nice render times. I am very happy that HD6970 work out well for you.

Windows 11 Pro

Stringer wrote on 7/10/2014, 9:12 AM
I apologize if my discovery is nothing new, but I had been under the impression that GPU acceleration had no affect on SD renders - i.e. - MainConcept MPEG-2 NTSC/NTSC Widescreen.

However, I was experimenting with my newly acquired HD 6950 and discovered that when rendering HD to SD - rendertestjr & the Press Release project, rendering is almost 5 x faster for me with GPU acceleration on.. VP 13..

Rendertestjr GPU off = 73 sec
on = 15 sec

Press release GPU off = 127 sec
on = 27 sec

With some plain 1920 x 1080 60p footage - 60 seconds - the increase is considerably less dramatic but still there, with render times of 115 ( off ) and 101 ( on )..

So going from HD to SD with a lot of effects is benefitted by GPU acceleration.

I did verify there was no noticeable affect when rendering SD to SD ..

NormanPCN wrote on 7/10/2014, 12:46 PM
So going from HD to SD with a lot of effects is benefitted by GPU acceleration.

Interpolation (resize) can be somewhat compute intensive. Interpolation seems to have a GPU implementation so we get a boost here.

HD to SD implies interpolation. Same for most cropping operations.

I have a slideshow project with only sporadic effects but every still has keyframed crops. GPU makes a big difference here.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 7/10/2014, 8:29 PM
> "I apologize if my discovery is nothing new, but I had been under the impression that GPU acceleration had no affect on SD renders - i.e. - MainConcept MPEG-2 NTSC/NTSC Widescreen."

Don't forget that the GPU Acceleration under Options | Preferences | Video affects timeline playback so ALL renders will benefit from this being ON regardless if the encoder uses the GPU for encoding or not.

~jr
Rory Cooper wrote on 7/11/2014, 7:01 AM
Johnny are you using any ProDad FX/Plugs in Vegas with that card?

I tried a few cards that work well with Vegas but not with some Vegas plugs so I want to get a good balance between The host and the fx plugs as well.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 7/11/2014, 7:20 AM
> "Johnny are you using any ProDad FX/Plugs in Vegas with that card?"

No. The only plug-in I have from ProDAD is Mercalli. (sorry)

~jr
Cliff Etzel wrote on 7/16/2014, 11:27 AM
Has anyone seen a marked improvement with Vegas Pro 13 and specific graphics cards? I'm coming from having used nothing but nVidia cards and since Adobe only lists nVidia tech for their editing apps, I'm hesitent to make the jump to ATI/AMD cards with VP13 unless there's a huge improvement in performance. Finding a supported card for PPro CS6 is alot easier than for VP13 but I'm considering Vegas again given the positive experiences users are having in post with v310.

The majority of my work is in 24p and what I'm seeing is everything being tested so far is 29.97.

anyone?
NickHope wrote on 7/16/2014, 1:53 PM
Cliff, from what I've read, not what I've yet done, it seems that there is no real difference in preferred graphics cards between V12 and V13. So, from what I've read, it seems your fastest choices are Nvidia GTX-580 (with 296.10 driver, or later driver with OldSmoke's tweak) or AMD Radeon HD 6970. I think I'm going to pick one of each up on Ebay and experiment with them in my new computer. SCS badly need to update their GPU code to support more modern and pro cards.

Edit: More here.
dxdy wrote on 7/16/2014, 4:16 PM
I got a 6970 from ebay, MSI Twin Frozr III, which I chose since it only takes 2 slots. The fan noise is a problem. It is very, very noisy. I managed to blow up my Win 7 Pro installation trying to make it work - converting from GTX 660ti. I am back to the 660ti, licking my wounds.
DavidMcKnight wrote on 7/16/2014, 5:37 PM
dxdy, when I installed my 6970 I replaced an NVidia something-or-other. One key is to follow the proper video card driver removal / installation procedure that requires a reboot:

1. Completely uninstall the old driver from System Devices (windows will revert to standard VGA resolution)
2. Uninstall all software related to the currently installed card. Using Control Panel / Uninstall Programs, all utilities, drivers, everything related to the video card.
3. Shut down pc, remove the old card, install the new one.
4. Fire up windows and install the latest drivers and utilities if desired.
Chanimal wrote on 7/20/2014, 11:25 AM
I had an MSI 6870 that was working fine--but it broke 2 months short of the warranty. MSI did not have any 6870's to replace, so they sent me a 7870 instead (almost identical to the R9 270x). Sounds great--except it renders slower!

In the meantime (since it took almost 3 weeks to get the replacement), I picked up another R 270x (since I had one in a different machine).

There are other apps that also work with Vegas that are supposed to take advantage of the newer AMD cards, plus I am holding out that Vegas 13 will come out with an update to leverage the newer cards (hope).

The question, I now have an extra R9 270x. I am thinking of putting it in with the other R9 270x and using Crossfire. Then at least video preview should still be even quicker--I believe.

I've read that Vegas won't recognize dual core GPU's (like the latest 290's), but it will recognize two separate cards via CrossFire or SLI.

Does anyone have confirmation of this?

Don't want to hijack this thread, but it is about the best card, perhaps the best card(s) also.

Ted Finch
Chanimal.com

Windows 11 Pro, i9 (10850k - 20 logical cores), Corsair water-cooled, MSI Gaming Plus motherboard, 64 GB Corsair RAM, 4 Samsung Pro SSD drives (1 GB, 2 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB), AMD video Radeo RX 580, 4 Dell HD monitors.Canon 80d DSL camera with Rhode mic, Zoom H4 mic. Vegas Pro 21 Edit (user since Vegas 2.0), Camtasia (latest), JumpBacks, etc.

OldSmoke wrote on 7/20/2014, 1:22 PM
I have 2xGTX580 but Vegas can only handle dual GPU cards, not SLI. I leave the SLI bridge on but I don't enable SLI and only use the "Activate all displays" function in the NVIDIA control panel. I tried tweaking it all so that SVP will run under SLI but the performance was actually slower then just two GPUs. I am not sure how this relates to AMD/ATI but I guess it will be somewhat similar.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

cal79 wrote on 8/20/2014, 11:23 AM
Any updates on how current cards are performing on VP13? i've got a NVIDIA Quadro FX3800.. expensive card at the time, has caused nothing but headaches in recent years.. it's finally died a death, need to look at replacing it with something tried and tested old or new, any recommendations?