I hope Vegas Pro is NOT going down this path!

Comments

VMP wrote on 6/17/2016, 6:24 AM
+10000 on what Bruce said about:

Keeping the design and layout as is would be the best.

VMP
Jeff9329 wrote on 7/11/2016, 4:00 PM
Its gonna be a sad day when we have an internet/power blackout in the future for whatever reason.

There will be a total collapse of video editing. All YouTube videos will be a horrible mess of unedited video. Oh wait...
ken c wrote on 7/17/2016, 6:25 AM
lol
SFX Group wrote on 7/21/2016, 12:24 AM
This annoys me, mainly as its never "used" for what they say.

Look at Corel who WILL NOT active older software, you know the one YOU BOUGHT and WANT TO USE, however as THEY decide you cant use it, you "lost" that money. That makes it "rent ware as long as we decide", wasnt gangs around that did this,..... yes, Mafia thats it.

I think they should refund it IN FULL if THEY decide you cant use it, lets get a lawsuit for that, then see how "internet activation" keeps going.

Just Winds me up, Leave Vegas the way it was, i buy it, get a box, get a key, get it work with scripts and leave it alone.

Many Thanks
Me
Jvidiot wrote on 7/28/2016, 2:52 AM
+1

Seems like I won't be staying in Vegas. I bought it when it was a Sonic Foundry DAW and fortunately the Sony takeover wasn't the worst thing to happen and willingly paid a reasonable annual upgrade cost.

I'm already suspicious of Magix - they purchased the source code in May and this autumn will release Vegas 14???! Ok, then, they have an ambitious marketing department.

The new version will either be some small tweaks for a lot of cash or a bugfest of Vegasian proportions. Or just their MAGIX Video Pro X now with added Brand Recognition.

Kit wrote on 7/28/2016, 6:32 AM
Of course you could give Magix the benefit of the doubt and wait and see what they come up with. I'm guessing it will be possible to test any new release before purchase. Why the negativity?
NickHope wrote on 7/28/2016, 6:42 AM
What's with the doom and gloom? I'm more optimistic about the future of Vegas than I've been for years.

"Just Winds me up, Leave Vegas the way it was, i buy it, get a box, get a key, get it work with scripts and leave it alone."

Read the thread. Eric already stated "The only time internet access is required is for the initial activation. The only time you would be required to access the internet again is if you reinstall the program."

"Seems like I won't be staying in Vegas... ...they purchased the source code in May and this autumn will release Vegas 14???!"

I expect MAGIX also purchased V14 code that SCS had been developing prior to the sale, which could well already have been nearly complete. We're told there is a lot of continuity in the development team.
Tim L wrote on 7/28/2016, 6:55 AM
@Jvidiot,

[I]"I'm already suspicious of Magix - they purchased the source code in May and this autumn will release Vegas 14???!"[/I]

Sony had Vegas 14 nearly ready to ship a couple of months ago. Marketing materials (artwork, software features, etc.) for websites had been sent out and were popping up with online retailers all over the web in April. Do a Google search for "SVPE14099ESD" -- the Sony part number for one of the Vegas 14 packages -- and you will find the remnants of pages that have since been pulled. (You can still read some of the Google cached pages though...)

The deal with MAGIX -- we don't know the inside details -- resulted in holding off the release of Vegas 14 so that MAGIX would get that "sales" opportunity. So the first MAGIX release will probably be rebranding of the Vegas 14 that Sony had nearly completed, with a few more items -- like built-in ProRes support -- thrown in.

In addition, MAGIX Vegas development continues in Madison, WI, with several developers that moved from Sony to MAGIX, so it is largely still in the hands of people that have been working on it for many years already.
Jvidiot wrote on 7/29/2016, 2:57 AM
Thanks, Tim L. That's almost reassuring.

What's not reassuring is that I have to dig through google (which I don't use) and DuckDuck only revealed some 3rd hand rumours. Magix have been radio silent on their future Vegas roadmap. So we have no idea how far along the development path V14 was/is/will be. At least I don't.

I just received a pre-V14 promo email from Magix. It was slightly weird. Had a 60% OFF headline and a Vegas box image. It only stated that V14 would arrive in late September and would offer:

» HEVC/H.265 support
» 4K Smart Upscaling
» Native ProRes support
» and much more!

3 New Must-have features! Which would be great. If it wasn't basic catch-up features.

But...in the meantime, I could get 60% off! 60% OFF!!! That's awesome!

Just not for Vegas 14. For their Xara Web Designer - html template program. Ugh. The cross-marketing begins. Cross promoting a noobie tool to their newly purchased pro user list is not the best first impression.

If Magix want to win the slightly cynical heart and mind of this longtime Vegas user, don't abuse me with irrelevant misleading offers.