Latest version of Quicktime working in Vegas 9d

Laurence wrote on 4/14/2010, 6:15 AM
This was already mentioned by Shane Jensen http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=705602at the end of this thread,[/link] but I believe it needs it's own thread so that people don't miss it.

The latest version of Quicktime works just fine in Vegas 9d. I just updated to the 64bit version of iTunes in order to bring both iTunes and Quicktime up to date and give it a shot. It works just fine. No more black instead of video. I guess it was a Vegas issue after all! Who'd have thought we were all wrong.

Anyway, if you haven't updated your Quicktime version because of this issue, you can now.

Comments

Laurence wrote on 4/17/2010, 10:01 AM
just bumping this because with no responses I'm sure that some of you must have missed this.

Again, with the Vegas 9d update, the latest version of Quicktime works like it should. No more black instead of video. No more having to use the old version of Quicktime off File Hippo. No more having to turn off automatic updates and refuse updates when it asks. No more not being able to use a recent iPod because it will only work with the latest version of iTunes which will only work with a recent version of Quicktime...

rs170a wrote on 4/17/2010, 10:07 AM
No more having to use the old version of Quicktime off File Hippo.

Until the next update of QuickTime messes up Vegas like it (almost) always does :-(

No more having to turn off automatic updates and refuse updates when it asks.

See above.

Mike
MUTTLEY wrote on 4/17/2010, 10:30 AM

Thanks for making this it's own thread though I'm gonna need a good 20 more people to confirm this is working before I open that Pandora's Box again! Call me paranoid. =)

- Ray
Underground Planet
Laurence wrote on 4/17/2010, 10:35 AM
Just set a restore point and try it out. Then if it doesn't work you can just go back to that restore point. It's working fine here though and I suspect that it will for everyone who's using Vegas 7d.
NickHope wrote on 4/17/2010, 10:56 AM
My problem with Quicktime 7.6.5 and Vegas 8.0c was that it crashed when clicking the audio tab in a template. Is that definitely fixed?
DrJens wrote on 4/17/2010, 3:29 PM
I can confirm it's working!
ritsmer wrote on 4/18/2010, 2:36 PM
Nice - but does the last version of QT give any benefits in our work with Vegas 9.0d (speed or...) or for what reason else should QT be updated??
Sab wrote on 4/18/2010, 8:28 PM
I also confirm this is working. Thank you Laurence.

Mike
John_Cline wrote on 4/18/2010, 8:32 PM
"I guess it was a Vegas issue after all! Who'd have thought we were all wrong."

But it wasn't a Vegas issue, Apple broke QuickTime for everyone and in Apple's typical arrogance they expected everyone to "fix" their software to conform to the new QuickTime.
ushere wrote on 4/18/2010, 10:12 PM
all well and good, but exactly what benefits does upgrading give you (me)?

better the devil you know, etc., unless the new devil can offer more for my soul ;-)

leslie
vicmilt wrote on 4/19/2010, 11:52 AM
...and does this mean I can dispense with NeoScene and load my Canon mov's directly??
backlit wrote on 4/19/2010, 1:09 PM
I don't know about the latest version of Quicktime providing any benefits. The benefit is with loading the new version of iTunes which shoves Quicktime down your computers throat or perhaps in a different orifice altogether.

But in my case I have to have it to manage my iPhone.

sigh
David
Laurence wrote on 4/19/2010, 3:00 PM
...and does this mean I can dispense with NeoScene and load my Canon mov's directly??

I wouldn't. Neo Scene is also slowing the footage down 1% from 30p to 29.97 and rescaling the color levels (at 10 bits no less) from cRGB's 0-255 to sRGB's 16-235. Your footage in Neo Scene is a little more hardy. If your computer messes up a bit or byte here and there through repeated copies and rerenders, you aren't going to lose your video in half second (or whatever it is between the full frames) increments. Cineform footage smart-renders when it can, and when it can't it still looks good after many generations. I would stick with Neo Scene.