Looking for inspiration for more debunking videos

Shogun__Gaming wrote on 4/15/2024, 1:49 AM

Greetings my friends.

As some of you know, im trying to make a new video series on my YT channel about misinformation and false statments regarding settings etc in Vegas Pro 21.
I already have a few ideas but i could use some input from you guys, what is the typical errors and stuff like that, that you hear about VP?
The 2 vids i already made is about dynamic ram and that its called vegas not sony vegas.

But i need more ideas, bear in mind that im still very much a rookie using VP, so it has to be some typical beginner errors that most "expert" youtubers give. So very basic stuff here in the beginning, as i grow my understanding of most systems, i will move over to some more advanced stuff.

For those interested in my 2 vids, my channel is in my signature.

Thanks in advanced :)

Comments

RogerS wrote on 4/15/2024, 1:58 AM

Rendering as 2-pass and CBR is one I see sometimes (or VBR with maximum and average bitrate set to the same value). Not sure what reason they think they are doing this.

People not seeing Fx but then we see the Fx preview is disabled (which is a very useful feature when you do it in purpose!)

Hitting b by accident and wondering what this weird audio track is.

Not knowing that the tracks can support Fx, cropping, etc. as these values are hidden by default.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Shogun__Gaming wrote on 4/15/2024, 3:00 AM

Those are some great ideas for a more settings type video @RogerS :) but for this video series, im more looking for what other people say is how some setting or feature work in VP but its not true...things like that

RogerS wrote on 4/15/2024, 3:05 AM

Okay, reframe it that way.

"People say to record in VBR with max and average set to the same value for best quality" etc. [my inspiration was a FB post from today]

Beyond that you can mine Reddit and Facebook for bad advice.

Last changed by RogerS on 4/15/2024, 3:20 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Shogun__Gaming wrote on 4/15/2024, 3:08 AM

ye im already on reddit looking sometimes, but figured i would try you guys in here also, always good to have more options :)

Shogun__Gaming wrote on 4/15/2024, 3:14 AM

but its really not that easy looking for "faults" on reddit when i dont know what to look for or search after :)

RogerS wrote on 4/15/2024, 3:27 AM

Watch what Kodabarz and I respond on Reddit (he actually does a good job explaining why what people are doing is wrong).

Beyond that I'm not sure what's common enough to be worth debunking. I don't go out of my way to watch bad tutorial videos these days.

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the

Shogun__Gaming wrote on 4/15/2024, 3:28 AM

oh i know about Koda, i use him all the time over discord for all my million questions :) hes very much involved in my explained vids :)

Shogun__Gaming wrote on 4/15/2024, 3:29 AM

whats your name on reddit?

lan-mLMC wrote on 4/15/2024, 4:37 AM

so it has to be some typical beginner errors

I list some common problems of new users that I have seen:

• Close a window by mistake then don't know how to restore.
  • Float the window by mistake and then don't know how to dock it.
  • The button disappears because the track head is too short.
  • FX or Track Motion dialog cannot pop up because they are hidden under the taskbar.
  • Always create a loop area accidently.
  • Don't know how to close the loop area created accidently.
  • Only render a very short loop area created accidently, because the option "Only render loop" is turn on.
  • Render lots of black screens or unnecessary parts, because "Only render loop" is turn off and lots of unnecessary clips or markers in the timeline.
  • Video/image event was unexpectedly cropped in Pan/Crop: example. caused by not matching output aspect ratio.
  • Often create unnecessary Pan/Crop keyframes by mistake.
  • When masking in pan/crop is interrupted. How to continue it with connecting to the previous point.
  • The track was unexpectedly A-B-expanded.
  • Events in other tracks is often split by mistake, because no event was selected before splitting.
  • After finishing the video editing, users found that somewhen lots of events in the lower track were accidentally split.
  • Shift+B pre-rendering failed halfway caused by low ram in preferences.
  • FX can't take effect caused by split screen view.
  • Events cannot be snapped to each other closely caused by Quantize to frame.
  • Logo/Text position in rendered video is different from that in the preview, caused by wrong render aspect ratio.
  • .Mov with channel cannot be displayed correctly in Vegas.
  • The imported video is displayed as a green screen caused by unsupported 10bit footages.
  • The imported video only shows audio tracks.
  • Render is stuck halfway.
  • Rendering is stuck at 99%.
  • Vegas crash caused by GPU accelerated processing.
  • Vegas crash caused by over-old graphics card driver.
Mindmatter wrote on 4/15/2024, 4:57 AM

The myth about Vegas not being "industry standard" 😩 seems to not want to die...

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12x 3.7 GHz
32 GB DDR4-3200 MHz (2x16GB), Dual-Channel
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 8GB GDDR6, HDMI, DP, studio drivers
ASUS PRIME B550M-K, AMD B550, AM4, mATX
7.1 (8-chanel) Surround-Sound, Digital Audio, onboard
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB, NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM, 80+ Bronze, modular
2x WD red 6TB
2x Samsung 2TB SSD

Dexcon wrote on 4/15/2024, 6:54 AM

The myth about Vegas not being "industry standard" 😩 seems to not want to die...

I wonder what that "industry standard" is? Is the standard set down 'on paper' somewhere with specific criteria listed? Or is it a moveable feast dependent on the personal preferences of those spouting "industry standard"?

Years ago on the forum discussing the meaning of a "professional" NLE, the pertinent comment (not by me) was that if someone uses an NLE for a professional project, then the NLE is professional.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

Mindmatter wrote on 4/15/2024, 8:28 AM

I think it's a rather self serving thing that certain "other" NLE makers ( and users ) like to propagate... it's been Final Cut for video, pro Tools for audio, Apple for computers etc etc. Of course there never was any numeric or statistical or qualitative proof, but that's how myths work I guess...

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12x 3.7 GHz
32 GB DDR4-3200 MHz (2x16GB), Dual-Channel
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 8GB GDDR6, HDMI, DP, studio drivers
ASUS PRIME B550M-K, AMD B550, AM4, mATX
7.1 (8-chanel) Surround-Sound, Digital Audio, onboard
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB, NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM, 80+ Bronze, modular
2x WD red 6TB
2x Samsung 2TB SSD

lan-mLMC wrote on 4/16/2024, 11:10 PM

so it has to be some typical beginner errors

I list some common problems of new users that I have seen:

• Close a window by mistake then don't know how to restore.
  • Float the window by mistake and then don't know how to dock it.
  • The button disappears because the track head is too short.
  • FX or Track Motion dialog cannot pop up because they are hidden under the taskbar.
  • Always create a loop area accidently.
  • Don't know how to close the loop area created accidently.
  • Only render a very short loop area created accidently, because the option "Only render loop" is turn on.
  • Render lots of black screens or unnecessary parts, because "Only render loop" is turn off and lots of unnecessary clips or markers in the timeline.
  • Video/image event was unexpectedly cropped in Pan/Crop: example. caused by not matching output aspect ratio.
  • Often create unnecessary Pan/Crop keyframes by mistake.
  • When masking in pan/crop is interrupted. How to continue it with connecting to the previous point.
  • The track was unexpectedly A-B-expanded.
  • Events in other tracks is often split by mistake, because no event was selected before splitting.
  • After finishing the video editing, users found that somewhen lots of events in the lower track were accidentally split.
  • Shift+B pre-rendering failed halfway caused by low ram in preferences.
  • FX can't take effect caused by split screen view.
  • Events cannot be snapped to each other closely caused by Quantize to frame.
  • Logo/Text position in rendered video is different from that in the preview, caused by wrong render aspect ratio.
  • .Mov with channel cannot be displayed correctly in Vegas.
  • The imported video is displayed as a green screen caused by unsupported 10bit footages.
  • The imported video only shows audio tracks.
  • Render is stuck halfway.
  • Rendering is stuck at 99%.
  • Vegas crash caused by GPU accelerated processing.
  • Vegas crash caused by over-old graphics card driver.

The post editing function of the forum seems to be disabled, so I can only add one here:

Due to hover scrub's current behavior, new users often accidentally set in/out point for media files when dragging them to timeline.

Shogun__Gaming wrote on 4/18/2024, 12:57 PM

Still looking, so keep ideas coming :)