Migrate (transfer) Project Properties Templates?

NickHope wrote on 9/20/2014, 12:07 AM
I have 9 custom project properties templates. I would like to transfer them from V10 on an XP machine to V10 on a Win 8.1 machine and thereafter to V12 then V13.

Does anyone know where they are stored and if they can be migrated between computers and versions?

Comments

NickHope wrote on 9/20/2014, 12:54 AM
So I found how to migrate them from V10 to V10 on another machine. Steps are below explained in the style of How Do I: Backup your custom presets on Video FX and transitions). Why can't user settings like this just be put in the AppData (Documents and Settings) folder along with render templates etc.? Would make this migration work much easier for us.

TO BACK UP PROJECT PROPERTIES TEMPLATES:

1. Click Start in Windows and type regedit in the search field, then hit Enter on your keyboard

2. Locate the VideoProProfiles folder by going to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Creative Software\Vegas Pro\10.0\Metrics

3. Right click the VideoProProfiles folder and click Export

4. Save this folder to a safe place on your Desktop or to a flashdrive.

TO BRING YOUR PROJECT PROPERTIES TEMPLATES BACK INTO THE PROGRAM:

1. Click Start in Windows and type regedit in the search field, then hit Enter on your keyboard

2. Go to File > Import

3. In this new window, locate the VideoProProfiles folder that you backed up earlier
NickHope wrote on 9/20/2014, 5:01 AM
To migrate these templates from version to version you simply have to edit the version number in the .reg file that you export. For example change "10.0" to "13.0" in this line:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Creative Software\Vegas Pro\13.0\Metrics\VideoProProfiles]

It would be nice if new versions of Vegas picked these templates up from previous versions, or if a proper migration tool was available.
Gary James wrote on 9/20/2014, 7:25 AM
"It would be nice if new versions of Vegas picked these templates up from previous versions, or if a proper migration tool was available. 7"

+Infinity

This has been one of my biggest gripes about Sony Vegas Pro. Whenever you upgrade versions --even on the same PC-- Sony leaves you hanging with the migration and installation of all your custom Presets, Extensions and Add-ins, and Settings you may have spent many long hours creating and tweaking. This truly is an incentive NOT TO UPGRADE.

Another pet peeve is the lack of a safe start mode for Vegas Pro. Yes, you can do the Ctrl-Shift Start to force Vegas to start without loading any extras. But also RESETS VEGAS back to its base installation configuration. Vegas sorely needs a Safe Start mode like Windows has.
NickHope wrote on 9/6/2018, 7:46 AM

** OLD THREAD ALERT! **

This registry import/export procedure is not longer working to get Project Properties templates from VP15 build 387 to VP16 build 261. The Vegasaur Presets Manager is not succeeding either (maybe @altarvic can work some magic?). I guess the new "360 Output" box in VP16 may be breaking the compatibility.

Not looking forward to manually re-creating all my custom templates. It's a pity that there is still no native way to migrate this stuff in Vegas, or that is doesn't just automatically pick up the templates from the last installed version.

Former user wrote on 9/6/2018, 11:51 AM

Look at this:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/templates-removed-from-project-properties-in-vegas-pro-16--112627/

NickHope wrote on 9/6/2018, 12:05 PM

Look at this:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/templates-removed-from-project-properties-in-vegas-pro-16--112627/

Thanks. Interesting post, and I will probably contribute to it. However it doesn't address the issue of getting existing custom project properties templates out of an old version of Vegas Pro and into VP16.

Former user wrote on 9/7/2018, 12:23 AM

See again this link. I created a registry key that retrieves all templates that are not present in Vegas Pro 16.

altarvic wrote on 9/7/2018, 4:39 AM

This registry import/export procedure is not longer working to get Project Properties templates from VP15 build 387 to VP16 build 261. The Vegasaur Presets Manager is not succeeding either (maybe @altarvic can work some magic?).

These templates are hardcoded in Vegas. Vegasaur can transfer only hand-made templates. The registry fix by

@Former user will work 👍 (I guess he re-created the templates manually)

altarvic wrote on 9/7/2018, 4:57 AM

It seems that old project templates are not compatible with VP16...