motion tracking___please help I will pay for help

Kimberly-Durecki wrote on 7/29/2022, 5:58 PM

Hello,

I use vegas pro 19 and I have a client who wants the drone video of his property to be outlined in the entire video.

I normally just outline it at the very begining and then the end of the video ( 5 second clips each)

I am having a horrible time trying to do this for an entire clip that moves forward and while doing a 360 degree

view orbiting the property, which he wants it all to stay outlined. I have watched a few videos that I could find

and the tracking does not stay in place, as the footage moves so does the outline. I also want to pin the PNG transparent

outline to the video with pip and that keeps moving as well. Then of course Sony freezes all the time.

I am a person who needs to visually see how it is done by a video and I copy it step by step so I know exactly what to choose.

Can someone, and I beg please someone help me. I am willing to pay for you to do a screen shot video. Can someone help me?

Also, in motion tracking can I only track a square of rectangle? I get property with all kinds of shapes and sizes.

Thank you, I would be forever grateful!

I have attached a small clip and the outlined PNG file. or is there a way to highlight the property with color

without the outlined png file?

Thank you

Kim

Comments

fr0sty wrote on 7/29/2022, 6:21 PM

VEGAS' motion tracking system leaves a lot to be desired, it feels quite incomplete in its implementation vs. other apps like Mocha or Resolve... but with enough tinkering, you can get it to work ok SOMETIMES. I'll mess around and see if I can make anything worthwhile happen with it.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Kimberly-Durecki wrote on 7/29/2022, 6:23 PM

Thank you! I do have Mocha 2020.5 and have never ever been able to figure it out. I have spend weeks and weeks and finally gave up. Wasted my money as I dont know how to use it. I use WINDOWS products also.

fr0sty wrote on 7/29/2022, 6:35 PM

Meh, VEGAS motion tracking is garbage. It can handle simple 2D tracking ok, but throw perspective into the mix, and it chokes. The most I was able to get out of it was a crash. There's a plugin called Mocha that is amazing. Mocha also does all kinds of other cool stuff, like object removal from a moving scene, for instance. Its motion tracking system works so much better (the best in the industry, it's what the movies/tv shows/etc use), you can actually watch it process each frame in the preview window, with the tracking mask overlaid, and if your tracking mask goes off the mark, simply clicking a point and dragging it back into place, before continuing the tracking, fixes it.

Resolve also has decent tracking. I don't care much for the rest of it, but that is one thing it does great, along with color.

Last changed by fr0sty on 7/30/2022, 2:22 PM, changed a total of 8 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Kimberly-Durecki wrote on 7/29/2022, 6:52 PM

I have Mocha, just do not know how to use it. I have had it for several years and I bought it outright. I would use it if I knew how. If I had a tutorial on how to do exactly as I mentioned above that would be GREAT.. Like I said I would be happy to pay you for your time. Im so flusterated with Sony as it crashes constantly on me and causes me so much work. Funny as i am typing this my project just totally crashed Again. This is such non sense!

Dexcon wrote on 7/29/2022, 9:01 PM

If I had a tutorial on how to do exactly as I mentioned above that would be GREAT

BorisFX have dozens of tutorials on tracking in Mocha Pro - please see: https://borisfx.com/videos/?tags=feature:Mocha%20Tracking,product:Mocha%20Pro&search=

Probably go for the tuts on pages 4 and 5 as they seem to be the earlier more basic tuts. I don't think that Mocha Pro 2020.5 had Powermesh which I am fairly certain was introduced ion version 2021.0, so the Popermesh tuts wouldn't apply to 2020.5.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

Kimberly-Durecki wrote on 7/29/2022, 9:18 PM

Hello, Yes, thank you. I use Vegas Pro 19 in Windows I do not use After Effects. Those tutorials are for a diffrent program :(

fr0sty wrote on 7/29/2022, 9:25 PM

fr0sty wrote on 7/29/2022, 9:27 PM

Sony does not make VEGAS Pro, by the way.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

Former user wrote on 7/29/2022, 9:39 PM

I tried the magic mask in Resolve Studio. If it worked perfectly I think it would be ideal for you, Just paint strokes on what you want to track. It loses the track and looks messy. That's the problem with it, it's both amazing and disappointing, leaving a end result that isn't fit for professional uses.

I don't know exactly what you wanted to track so I chose the land to the left. Studio is paid resolve, but probably would recommend you not buy it, this tool is still sort of beta.

There are the normal tracking options that @fr0sty was talking about, but if you can't work out Mocha you probably won't be able to work out Resolve tracking. Magic mask yes, but doesn't work well enough.

Kimberly-Durecki wrote on 7/29/2022, 9:48 PM

Sony does not make VEGAS Pro, by the way.

Sorry old habit, I have been using when it was called Vegas Movie Studio back about 8 years ago. I always say Vegas for some reason. lol

Kimberly-Durecki wrote on 7/29/2022, 9:51 PM

I tried the magic mask in Resolve Studio. If it worked perfectly I think it would be ideal for you, Just paint strokes on what you want to track. It loses the track and looks messy. That's the problem with it, it's both amazing and disappointing, leaving a end result that isn't fit for professional uses.

I don't know exactly what you wanted to track so I chose the land to the left. Studio is paid resolve, but probably would recommend you not buy it, this tool is still sort of beta.

There are the normal tracking options that @fr0sty was talking about, but if you can't work out Mocha you probably won't be able to work out Resolve tracking. Magic mask yes, but doesn't work well enough.

Yes it is for a professional video, I just dont know what to do. Why doesnt motion tracking work in Sony Pro 19?

fr0sty wrote on 7/29/2022, 10:05 PM

Mocha is better anyway, and you already own it. Check out the tutorial I posted. As for VEGAS, it is developed by a very small team (5-6 people), and creating a program as complex as VEGAS is like trying to build rome in a day... with few enough construction workers to fit into a single van. So, they gave us basic motion tracking, which works good enough for simple 2D stuff, but the 3D perspective planar tracking stuff is much harder to pull off, and they still have not yet perfected that system... for the time being, there are other, far more important things that they need to be focusing on, such as improving VEGAS' performance and stability (which is now a top priority). The motion tracking they gave us is good enough for the basic stuff, and we can augment that with plugins like Mocha, which has its own dedicated development team that is probably bigger than VEGAS'.

One day once the team gets caught up on some of the more pressing issues, they'll be able to get to refining these minor features, but in the mean time, just use plugins.

Last changed by fr0sty on 7/29/2022, 10:08 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

Seb-o wrote on 7/29/2022, 10:26 PM

You don't track accurately by pushing a button and Poof, there it is, done,

EVEN Mocha, you start in the middle of the video, track forwards and backwards a few frames at a time and when the inevitable happens, (mask gets off track) you simply adjust and continue the process.

Who's schoolin' yous guys and motion tracking? It's really not that hard, and you could make it happen EASILY, with Vegas pan/crop, just manually. Why all the boo hooing? MAN/Woman UP.!!.. 😏😃😄

Dexcon wrote on 7/29/2022, 11:22 PM

Hello, Yes, thank you. I use Vegas Pro 19 in Windows I do not use After Effects. Those tutorials are for a diffrent program :(

Mocha Pro is a plugin and as a plugin it works fairly much the same in any NLE host whether that NLE be AE, Resolve, Premiere, HitFilm or even Vegas Pro. Please don't be distracted by the host being used in the tutorials, look at the sections of the tuts that are about using the Mocha Pro plugin.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

Kimberly-Durecki wrote on 7/29/2022, 11:54 PM

You don't track accurately by pushing a button and Poof, there it is, done,

EVEN Mocha, you start in the middle of the video, track forwards and backwards a few frames at a time and when the inevitable happens, (mask gets off track) you simply adjust and continue the process.

Who's schoolin' yous guys and motion tracking? It's really not that hard, and you could make it happen EASILY, with Vegas pan/crop, just manually. Why all the boo hooing? MAN/Woman UP.!!.. 😏😃😄

Yes I realize it is just not a button and poof it is magic. I know how to track forward and backwards and how to adjust. It simply does not work in Vegas, plain and simple. What do you mean use the pan crop to track? As i stated I need to highlight a piece of property that we shot with a drone, while doing a orbit shot ( 360 degress going around the entire property and also have it highlighted in color the entire time, dont know how pan/crop can do that. If so please show us. thank you.

Joelson wrote on 7/30/2022, 12:17 AM

@Kimberly-Durecki

I made a short video showing the way to go using Mocha Pro Plugin in Vegas. The purpose of the video is just to show the process and with this knowledge you will do it with more precision.

fr0sty wrote on 7/30/2022, 12:21 AM

After hours of struggling with it, I finally learned my way around the limitations of the motion tracker well enough to tame the beast. Once you do get it under control, it actually does a remarkably good job of tracking... so I'll retract my previous statement about it being garbage, but the obstacles I had to overcome to get this working were headache-inducing. Tutorial coming in a few minutes. that said, now that I know the proper method, I could pull it off in a few minutes... The tech behind it is rock solid, I couldn't have got a better track out of Mocha... but there's just a lot of little things about the UI that can easily trip you up along the way.

Last changed by fr0sty on 7/30/2022, 12:35 AM, changed a total of 3 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

fr0sty wrote on 7/30/2022, 12:37 AM

Here's a tutorial. One more thing, if you pre-stabilize the video, it'll probably make the tracking process much easier. There's little shakes in the image that could be smoothed out first. I didn't do that here, and still got a solid track.

Last changed by fr0sty on 7/30/2022, 12:47 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

Former user wrote on 7/30/2022, 1:05 AM

I made a short video showing how to use Mocha Pro Plugin in Vegas to do what you need. The Mocha Pro is definitely the best option. Good luck!

@Joelson You also tracked the trees, I think that's the problem. Due to the extreme perspective shift and parallax, and the drone having a wide angle lens, the tree's aren't really a planar surface, so the track falters and needs to be fixed. What would seem to be best is using 4 linked trackers with enough distance to better deal with the perspective shift and to track flat surfaces with detail.

This was my attempt before I tried Resolve. Logo is warping and moving. It has plenty of detail to lock on to, not slipping, but not tracking well either. No adjustments are made

Seb-o wrote on 7/30/2022, 1:29 AM

@fr0sty Good result and just about how I'da dunnit.... but I think you'd find that adjusting every few frames is, most often, anyway, better, every frame can "unsmooth" the result, In fact, in work like this, I'd be deleting some in between points sometimes. But I have to say, fr0sty, the result here speaks for itself. The tracking is excellent. Count me as surprised that earlier you wrote off our venerable Vegas tracking....you redeemed yourself I must say...ahahaha.

You could create the outline shape with (theoretically) just a generated media "solid color" and mask that into an outline approximating the property shape.Then save that as a still with an alpha channel enabled.

fr0sty wrote on 7/30/2022, 2:02 AM

I tried generated media first, but it wasn't working properly for me.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

fr0sty wrote on 7/30/2022, 2:13 AM

Also, I wasn't adjusting every frame, but I was advancing frame by frame to look for points that needed adjusting. Reason being, it ended up making the UI a bit more like I'm used to with Mocha and Resolve, where you can see the points moving around frame by frame as it tracks whether you advance one frame at a time or track it at full speed. it makes it easier for me to see the exact point it drifts off the mark vs. waiting for a progress bar to refill with each adjustment.

Count me as surprised that earlier you wrote off our venerable Vegas tracking....you redeemed yourself I must say...ahahaha.

I was one of VEGAS' biggest critics back in the 14 and 15 days, especially when I'd be on the job at a festival against tight deadlines to turn in a daily recap and I couldn't get a video out. I also used to boost up Resolve a good bit. I bought a nice HDR OLED set and posted videos here detailing how I created HDR media files using Resolve alongside a HDR capable encoder that took me ages to find. That was about the time they called me on board to help them test their transition to HDR, which ended up making VEGAS the first NLE that could do HDR front to back, and with no specialized hardware required (I had to buy a BlackMagic output card to get HDR in Resolve, and it couldn't encode HDR and didn't support HDR metadata). It was then I got to learn why some things worked the way they did, and got an idea of where things were going. That is when my opinions on what the team was doing with VEGAS started to change. You'll just have to trust that sometimes things look a lot different from the outside. That said, VEGAS gets no free passes from me when it falls short.

Last changed by fr0sty on 7/30/2022, 2:16 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

Seb-o wrote on 7/30/2022, 2:35 AM

I got the BM card as well, same idea, it was REQUIRED.

Joelson wrote on 7/30/2022, 10:12 AM

I have attached a small clip and the outlined PNG file. or is there a way to highlight the property with color without the outlined png file?

@Kimberly-Durecki @Former user

Yes, there are several ways to do this. You can for example insert a solid color, create a belzier mask and apply motion tracking. I redid the tracking with the Mocha Pro Plugin this morning with more patience and the result is the one in the video below.