Comments

Storyman wrote on 8/9/2005, 6:26 PM
Is there a particular reason that you are considering upgrading? Is there a feature that interest you?

If you do upgrade IMHO spend the extra $20 and go Platinum. You get two additional programs that either one alone is worth more than the $20.
Lawrence wrote on 8/9/2005, 6:53 PM
Strongly recommended. Lot and Lot more features in version 6. Platinum Edition is
a better choice as consumer HD is here. More efficient rendering engine and
parent track motion. Simply baby Vegas 6.
theCrew wrote on 8/9/2005, 7:42 PM
I assume the Platinum edition would include the latest release of Movie Studio (6.0) and DVD Architect 3.0?

Thank you for your prompt replies.
dibbkd wrote on 8/9/2005, 8:02 PM
Anyone know why they went from version 4.0a to 6.0? Or was there a version 5 I wasn't aware of?

That is correct, right? Vegas Movie Studio went from 4 to 6? Skipping 5?
ericlast wrote on 8/9/2005, 8:06 PM
I'm really an "if it ain't broke don't fix it guy"...

I've been very, very happy with the performance of version 4, having spent lots of wasted time and $$$ on other software (Pinnacle, Ulead...)

My computer is a P4 with 1.6GHz processor and 512 MB RAM. One of the things that's been most impressive to me about VMS 4 is its ability to work with this hardware configuration without batting an eye.

Will the upgrade to platinum work as well in this hardware setup?

I've got no immediate plans to upgrade my camera to HDV, so do the other upgrade features make it worh the price (my first thought after I saw that a new version was available was that I haven't even scratched the surface of the features in version 4, so why upgrade...but I've been wrong before!)

Thanks for the input!!!
Storyman wrote on 8/9/2005, 8:52 PM
Haven't looked, but there should be a trial version for both new versions. Might as well test drive them both.

There are several nice tools included, but nothing that I would say is a 'must have'. Two things I found useful is the scrub tool and the ability to stretch (or compress) a clip to give a slo-mo or speed up effect.

One feature that might have been on the previous version, I just never noticed it if it was, is that when two shots overlap it tells you how many frames for the overlap.

There are other features and I'm still exploring.

As for Architect it is version 3. Version 2 was giving me burning problems so the upgrade was welcomed.
Storyman wrote on 8/9/2005, 9:32 PM
THE BEST REASON TO UPGRADE

If you ever use crop/pan you will want to upgrade. The bounding box can be dragged, resized, rotated as before. In addition the bounding box can also be controlled precisely with a control panel. What's really great abou the control panel is that it uses a slider control. By clicking on the value the cursor can be moved up or down to change the value. If you have used After Effects you'll know what I mean.

There are other features in crop/pan, but the control panel is the most significant.
IanG wrote on 8/9/2005, 11:15 PM
>Two things I found useful is the scrub tool and the ability to stretch (or compress) a clip to give a slo-mo or speed up effect.

Both available in previous versions, though the scrubber wasn't there by default.

Ian G.
Storyman wrote on 8/10/2005, 6:06 AM
I don't think it is the same scrub. Now it sits to the left of the playback window. The further to the right that you drag the slider the faster the image plays back. You can hold it in position and the playback continues at the same speed. It may very well have been in version 4. Although I've used several other NLE (professional and home version) I just don't remember the previous version scrubber working like this one.

Lawrence wrote on 8/10/2005, 9:40 AM
Great Features to have and make your workflow faster.

4 tracks of Video and Audio.

Import video from DVD camcorder. - you can drag vob file to timeline with ac3
audio.

Parent/Child masking capability.

Parent motion and composite.

Allows third parties plug-in like AdorageFx, HeroGlyph, Pixelan SFX.
Free plug-in from Satish PluginPac 3D LE allow 3D motions on X.Y.Z axis.
Wax and WinMorph and many more.

Can configured no of CPU threads for rendering.

Multiple keyframes on pan/crop and video fx

Reverse Motion

Check these out

IanG wrote on 8/10/2005, 3:52 PM
>I don't think it is the same scrub.

There are 2 of them now! One's the same style and function as the original, but it's got a much broader range of speeds now. The other's on top of the time line so you can drag the position marker.

Ian G.
theCrew wrote on 8/10/2005, 4:51 PM
Does anyone know if the trial version of MS+DVD 6.0 Platinum includes Acid XMC?

Thanks much.
bansl wrote on 8/10/2005, 9:57 PM
No, the trial version does not contain ACID, just the Platinum MS6
discdude wrote on 8/11/2005, 4:34 AM
Looks like the upgrade price will be $39.95 (or $59.95 to upgrade to Platinum).

That's a price increase of about $10 versus the old upgrade price. Seems worth it to me though.

JohnnyRoy wrote on 8/11/2005, 6:54 AM
IMHO, this release puts Movie Studio over the top in functionality for the price. You can now add DirectX and VST plug-ins. Do you realize that that means? Infinite expandability! New Audio FX plug-ins, new Video FX plug-ins, new Title plug-ins, you name it. You basically have full blown Vegas with a limit of 4 tracks, less compositing options, and no audio busses. But other than that, you’ve almost got it all (including outstanding color correction tools).

Look at it this way. The upgrade comes with Pixelan SpiceMASTER TFX which costs $59. The Upgrade price is $59. How can you NOT upgrade? You are basically getting Vegas Movie Studio 6 for FREE! This is a no-brainer upgrade.

(for those of you familiar with Pinnacle Studio, Pixelan SpiceMASTER is Alpha Magic on steroids and ALL of your Alpha Magic wipes will work with it.)

~jr
discdude wrote on 8/11/2005, 7:17 AM
JohnnyRoy,

I'm pretty sure the DirectX and VST plugin support is for audio only. At least that is how it appears in the demo.

However, I do agree with you that this release appears substantial and well worth the additional money.
rondi wrote on 8/11/2005, 12:02 PM
i agree-- $60 for the Platinum version seems like a fair deal. i may not use a lot of the features--but if i no longer have problems with inserting chapter markers in MS and still have them in the finished DVD---it'll be worth it.

What do you get with the upgrade as far a manuals-- .pdf files or?? I bought my VMS+DVD at BestBuy so i got a hard copy of the manuals.

tia,
ron
jtfrazer wrote on 8/12/2005, 6:47 AM
Hi,

The download version comes with PDF manuals. Note that the manuals include the features of the full Vegas system. Icons or statements tell you which features are or are not available int VMS Platinum.

It's my understanding that the boxed version contains printed manuals.

Jim
GerryLeacock wrote on 8/12/2005, 1:33 PM
1) Is the DVD Architect Studio 3 the same as DVD Architect 3 that comes with Video Vegas?

2) Can you buy printed manuals? The PDF manual is >400 pages.
GerryLeacock wrote on 8/13/2005, 8:58 AM
And after installing MS 6, is it now safe to go into Windows Control Panel and delete MS 4? Or is there something in 4 that 6 needs?
Storyman wrote on 8/13/2005, 2:27 PM
This indirectly answers your question. I deleted MS 4 before installing MSP 6.
czander00 wrote on 8/13/2005, 8:39 PM
> It's my understanding that the boxed version contains printed manuals.

The boxed [edit: Platinum] version comes with Quick Start Manuals for Movie Studio, DVD Architect Studio, and ACID XMC, as well as the HDV What You Need To Know book. Wondering too if you can purchase a hard copy of the actual manual...
Storyman wrote on 8/13/2005, 9:33 PM
When you order the Platinum version Sony sends the "What You Need to Know About HD" manual & the SFX disk.
JeffD wrote on 8/17/2005, 10:59 AM
Does the new v6 automatically crossfade multiple images when dragged to the timeline? This is referenced in the Help file for v4, but it doesn't work that way in v4. (Forum messages from previous months confirmed that this is a Vegas feature.)

Thanks,
JeffD