Moving Markers With Timeline...

bev-sBev wrote on 11/25/2022, 8:35 AM

First, thanks for getting Vegas working well. Don't know what happened but Vegas 19 and Windows has been working exceptionally well. - If you are angry with Vegas, I did a deep dive and found ALL the major editing suits have their fair share of problems. Including the much loved Resolve.

Ok, I give up. 50 times in the last ten years I have said, "I really must ask how to make markers move with the timeline." I use them alot. And for ten years I have done nothing, until today.

I've looked all over and can find no way to "weld" a Marker to the timeline so it moves with it - tried "Ripple", does nothing.

So please, can this simple feature be coded in? Right Click, "Lock Marker To Timeline."

If I've missed the simple solution, please help me out. Thanks.

Comments

jetdv wrote on 11/25/2022, 8:56 AM

Which do you want? Them to move? Or them to not move? You've seemed to indicate both ways both above and in the other post.

For not moving, just turn off Ripple editing. I leave ripple editing turned off and mine never move

If you want them to move, turn on Ripple Editing to the "All Tracks, Markers, and Regions" options

Personally, I leave ripple turned off and mine never move. In the rare instances I WANT them to move, I use the "Post Ripple Edit" options.

m3lquixd wrote on 11/25/2022, 9:06 AM

Just enable auto ripple :)

About me:
Hi! Melqui Calheiros Here. I've been using Vegas as my only video editor for over 10 years. I edit professionally for various influencers, public bodies and small businesses. My goal is to squeeze Vegas to the fullest! And end the prejudice that software has here in Brazil.

⬇️ Some of my jobs. ⬇️
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/post-your-vegas-creations--109464/?page=37#ca872169

PC Specs:
Operating System:
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
CPU:
    AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.60 GHz
RAM:
    32,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 2666MHz
Motherboard:
    BIOSTAR Group B450MX-S (AM4)
Graphics:
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (ZOTAC International)
Storage:
    465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA )
    238GB Lexar 256GB SSD (SATA (SSD))
  931GB KINGSTON SNV2S1000G (SATA-2 (SSD))

bev-sBev wrote on 11/25/2022, 9:09 AM

"I really must ask how to make markers move with the timeline." - Should have been - "I really must ask how to make markers move with the FOOTAGE."

I want my marker to move with the footage. So if I mark an area of video..."Important point in video". I want that marker to move with that "video section" as I add in footage and move the video to the right down the timeline. I've tried all forms of "ripple" and it does nothing. I move the video and the marker simply stays where it is.

Assistance appreciated.

rraud wrote on 11/25/2022, 9:12 AM

To 'lock' a marker to an event, you can add a marker (or region) to an audio file or take with Sound Forge. The marker will then be visible in Vegas. I do not think 'snap to' would work with the embedded markers though

bev-sBev wrote on 11/25/2022, 9:13 AM

Thanks for taking the time. Its not working. Let me play with it. But yes, thats what I want.

DMT3 wrote on 11/25/2022, 9:14 AM

@bev-sBev

a Marker on the timeline is just that. It marks a point on the timeline. If you want a marker to be associated with an event, open that event in the Trimmer window and make a marker point. Then that mark will move with the event. If at some point you want that mark to be associated with the timeline, use the script to promote markers.

bev-sBev wrote on 11/25/2022, 9:20 AM

Just enable auto ripple :)

I see what auto ripple does - moving the footage down the timeline in unison - handy (thanks) - but the markers stay put and do not move with the footage. I note this answer online and all the people asking the question say the same..."Not working". I will play with it over time and work it out. It's something simple.

Many thanks!

bev-sBev wrote on 11/25/2022, 9:22 AM

@bev-sBev

a Marker on the timeline is just that. It marks a point on the timeline. If you want a marker to be associated with an event, open that event in the Trimmer window and make a marker point. Then that mark will move with the event. If at some point you want that mark to be associated with the timeline, use the script to promote markers.

I use 1/10th of the power of Vegas. I don't even know what a script is. I have to set aside time. I've gotten away with the basics since 2005. Then I saw a project get done in 30 mins that would have taken me 4 hours and I realize I have to spend time learning all the in's and outs. I don't mix with editors and that is the best way to learn - just watching someone who knows how to use the software to it's fullest.

Many thanks!

jetdv wrote on 11/25/2022, 9:26 AM

If Auto Ripple is set to move the markers, it will also move the markers. Look at the three options. To move the markers, you must pick one of the lower two options. Try the bottom option!

If you want a marker tied specifically to an event, open it in the Trimmer and add the marker there. Then it will only be on that event and will follow that event everywhere. However, it will NOT appear on the timeline as a marker - only as a line in the event.

jetdv wrote on 11/25/2022, 9:29 AM

I use 1/10th of the power of Vegas. I don't even know what a script is.

kplo wrote on 11/25/2022, 1:58 PM

I've been waiting for a "move marker with event" implementation for years. The trimmer option isn't a very good workaround. I'm sure many others have asked for this as well.

Here's hoping.

Ken

jetdv wrote on 11/25/2022, 2:21 PM

Ken, Ripple editing has worked well for me to move markers along with events on the tracks below. The issue with moving a marker is... WHICH event under it would it belong to? The times I've used Ripple editing, the markers have moved perfectly fine for me.