MTS no longer supported by Vegas ...

johnmeyer wrote on 3/20/2012, 6:42 PM
I submitted a bug report to SCS on January 30. I included an MTS file from my Sony CX-700V camcorder that caused Vegas 11 to crash (others here in the forum confirmed the problem). This same file plays just fine in Vegas 8.0c.

Well, today I received a reply, seven weeks later, and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Hi John,

Thank you for writing back. As listed on the following page, http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/techspec, MTS is not a supported file format in Vegas Pro 11.0 and will not open. In order to use these files in Vegas, you will need to follow the previously provided steps.

If you still have a follow-up question on this particular incident, please feel free to update it. If you have a completely different question, please create a new incident.

Sincerely,

[name withheld to not embarrass the individual ...]
Customer Service
Sony Creative Software Inc
www.sonycreativesoftware.com

So, I guess my all my problems with Vegas 11 must be due to the fact that Vegas 11 does not support AVCHD (a.k.a. MTS files).

Sheesh ....

Comments

RRA wrote on 3/20/2012, 6:56 PM
Hi,

Can't believe : MTS is basic format for me - all my camcorders are Panasonic AG-HMC 151 with AVCHD output.

It looks as begin of the end.

Best regards,
farss wrote on 3/20/2012, 7:20 PM
The man speaks the truth, MTS is not on the list.

So what was the "previously provided steps"?

Bob.
amendegw wrote on 3/20/2012, 7:31 PM
me thinks they need some remedial training for the support staff.

...Jerry

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9

john_dennis wrote on 3/20/2012, 7:35 PM
"[name withheld to not embarrass the individual ...]"

a.k.a

Queue Cleaner
John_Cline wrote on 3/20/2012, 7:39 PM
Is this because Vegas does not recognize the .MTS extension or does it not play .MTS files at all? What happens if you rename the file using the .M2TS extension?
rmack350 wrote on 3/20/2012, 7:45 PM
Seven weeks just for that..."sheesh" is right!

MTS is definitely an option when you go to File / Import Media and look at the choices under "Files of type:"

Edit: since I don't have an "MTS" file here ... maybe it's presence in the import media list is an oversight.

So what's the difference between MTS and M2TS? Can the file just be renamed or is it more complicated than that?

Rob
amendegw wrote on 3/20/2012, 7:48 PM
Obviously, a newbie support person.

SCS should have a list of "superusers" whose support tickets automatically go to 2nd or 3rd level support. "johnmeyer" should be at the top of that list.

...Jerry

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9

warriorking wrote on 3/20/2012, 7:50 PM
Huh??
MTS files from my Canon HG10, HG21 all load and work fine in Vegas 11...
PeterDuke wrote on 3/20/2012, 7:57 PM
I had always thought that .MTS files were merely .m2ts files butchered to accommodate the FAT file system restrictions, namely 8.3 file names in all upper case letters and 2GB or 4 GB file size limits. You will see that in AVCHD that there are other files that correspond to Blu-ray files, but have had their names butchered as well.

There is something incompatible between John's file and V11, but it is not because it is .MTS
ChristoC wrote on 3/20/2012, 8:16 PM

File Open Menu:

seems support are giving you the runaround.....
craftech wrote on 3/20/2012, 8:22 PM
AFAIK, .mts is easily converted to .m2ts with the software that comes with Sony and Panasonic cameras.

John
PeterDuke wrote on 3/20/2012, 8:28 PM
I suggest that John changes the extension to .m2ts and resubmits the bug report.

After transferring a .MTS file to my computer using the Sony PMB software, the file name stem is renamed to the shooting time and date and the extension to .m2ts, but a file under 2GB size is otherwise unchanged. (Tested with DOS command FC /B).
Former user wrote on 3/20/2012, 9:17 PM
I guess I need to stop editing my project that I am halfway through since it is comprised of MTS files that I cannot edit.

Dave T2
farss wrote on 3/20/2012, 9:23 PM
"After transferring a .MTS file to my computer using the Sony PMB software, the file name stem is renamed to the shooting time and date and the extension to .m2ts, but a file under 2GB size is otherwise unchanged. (Tested with DOS command FC /B). "

That might get to the core of the problem.

A MTS file may be only a 2GB fragment that Vegas is unable to join correctly. I have the same issue with the mp4 files from the EX cameras. Once joined and converted to MXF file Vegas handles them just fine. The same probably applies to the MTS files running them through the Sony PMB software.

Still though the MTS files shouldn't cause Vegas to crash.

Bob.
Former user wrote on 3/20/2012, 9:50 PM
John Cline
My Vegas 11 imports and plays my Canon MTS files with no problem.

(AVCHD)

Dave T2
johnmeyer wrote on 3/20/2012, 11:19 PM
The previous instructions were to use the Import function for MTS files. I had just been dropping them on the timeline, as I have done with every video file type (except for DVD VOB files) since Vegas 4.0.

All the other "non-supported" MTS files dropped onto the timeline just fine, without using the import function, so obviously that is not need for these 59.94 fps 1920x1080 AVCHD files from the Sony CX-700V camcorder.

My purpose in posting was to release some exasperation with the almost two month delay in receiving any response, coupled with what seemed to me to be (and I'll be kind here) a "puzzling response."

xberk wrote on 3/20/2012, 11:56 PM
I have no problem with V11 and MTS files coming off my Sony XR500V .. NONE !
But I think I tried John's particular file and it crashed my V11 but opened fine in V8c .. why?

Now I see the format is not on the list of supported files for V11 ... makes no sense for Sony not support the AVCHD put out by it's own product.

As Ricky use to say to Lucy ... "you got some splainin' to do" ... .

And I fully agree .. TWO MONTHS? .. TWO MONTHS TO RESPOND !!
Wake up SCS ..

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit

VidMus wrote on 3/21/2012, 12:22 AM
I just made a short video with one of my four Sony cameras, connected to USB and copied the *.MTS file to my hard drive. Note: Copied not imported!

I then right clicked on the file and opened it with Vegas 11 64 bit with absolutely no problems.

I think what we have here is an errant list that the person from SCS FINALLY got around to looking at and used it for their reply.

Took them seven weeks to do that?

Sad to have to say this but that is Extremely Poor Support SCS!!!

I have been working on theater plays and Church videos and am using *.mts files from my four cameras and have no problems! There is definitely a bug in that list. LOL!

As for previous recent posts by me on here, I have to remember NOT to leave posts or replies or whatever's when I am grouchy about something. Sorry about that...
altarvic wrote on 3/21/2012, 6:13 AM
"Files in AVCHD format use legacy "8.3" file naming convention, while Blu-ray Discs use long filenames. That's why the filename extension of video files is ".MTS" instead of Blu-ray Disc's ".m2ts"

Wikipedia
Serena wrote on 3/21/2012, 7:51 AM
Recently has anyone had support respond in less than 6-8 weeks?
drmathprog wrote on 3/21/2012, 10:13 AM
Back in Nov I had a 4 week support turnaround.
Guy S. wrote on 3/21/2012, 10:46 AM
I must be smoking too much dope, or maybe I have a different version of Vegas 11, because my MTS files (Panasonic AVCHD 720p, 1080i, 1080p) work just fine.

There may very well be a difference between files from a CX-700V and a GH1/GH2, but MTS files not supported at all? That tech advice was not worth the 7-week wait.
rmack350 wrote on 3/21/2012, 11:37 AM
Same thing with MTS files from my GH1. They play just fine in VP11-64 as long as they match the project. I don't know, though, if this capability was provided by Vegas or if the capability only appeared after installing other software, but since MTS is a file type option when importing media I have to assume Vegas can do it. The support turtle is evidently wrong.

Just out of curiosity I looked for a way to render an MTS file and didn't see one. I wasn't looking too hard though.

In spite of all this, it seems like there's a preferred method of acquiring this media from a camera and that's through a utility that changes filename stubs and extensions and probably also stitches long files together.

As for the Support response time...7 weeks is far beyond shameful. 7 days is shameful, 2 days is acceptable for free support, and if it were paid support I'd want a response in under 30 minutes, preferably 3 minutes.

Rob

johnmeyer wrote on 3/21/2012, 12:18 PM
I got another response today:Thank you for writing back. I believe this article from the SCS Knowledgebase can help provide answers to this incident:

Answer Title: Importing files from a hard disk camcorder
Answer Link: https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2683

So, is anyone out there finding that they must use the "import" feature in Vegas in order to get AVCHD video from their camcorder into Vegas? In fact, does anyone use this feature for AVCHD video? I thought it was primarily intended for DVD-based camcorders where the VOB structure must be deconstructed in order to make things play nice in Vegas.