Music among Videomaking

PeterWright wrote on 5/27/2013, 6:43 AM
I know there are many other musos disguised as Vegas editors out there, and it's good to share experiences. Our recently formed band, "Cat Among the Pigeons", has been seeking gigs ... and as an "audition", we were asked to do 15 minutes between main sets at a monthly Perth Folk and Roots Night recently, and this is it.
(As a result we scored a full paid gig in a couple of months.)

My main pre-occupation was playing bass and mandolin, but to capture the occasion on video, I placed a couple of mini cams - a Sony AS15 (the wider shot), and a Zoom Q3HD. The audio is mainly from the Zoom, with a little from the Sony.

The resulting video I found impossible to colour match - the AS15 has singer Bev's top as Blue, but any attempts to make the other Cam blue with the Secondary Colour Corrector made lots of other unwanted things blue, so I gave up. Have to accept the limitations of different fully auto mini cams, particularly in a darkish environment.

I'll take my EX1 to the follow-up gig ... plus my mini cams.

]

Comments

JJKizak wrote on 5/27/2013, 8:50 AM
I enjoyed it even with the gabby crowd.
JJK
[r]Evolution wrote on 5/27/2013, 9:38 AM
Nice that you are able to exercise both your loves together. Music & Video

I got into Video from doing Music. Long story short:
- 15yrs ago = Formed a band at Duke U.
- Got a demo deal and moved to CA.
- Gigged and had songs on MTV, Skate & Surf Vids, etc.
- Needed a job because I wasn't making money w/ music.
- Started editing music & performance vids for other bands I knew.
- Band fell apart. (Sex/Drugs/Rock & Roll became Sex/Drugs became Drugs)
- Continued shooting & editing video.

At 40yrs old, I can't see me doing the same type of music we used to, but it sure would be nice to feel that high again. You guys look and sound great.

The way you set up your camera's, and how many you use is totally dependent upon the venue. I wouldn't risk having my unattended good camera knocked over by some drunk. You've got it right though... set 'em up Wide, Medium, not-so Tight and cut between them.

You've got a 4piece band so I'm sure you guys know some people that would man the cam's and get some variously framed shots for you to cut between. Most will do it for the price of admission or a few beers. It's easier to convince people to do it for 1 or 2 songs as apposed to a full gig.
john_dennis wrote on 5/27/2013, 1:41 PM
My favorite sax man that I worked with throughout the seventies died on Easter Sunday. His wish for his memorial was that all his friends would have a big party and jam session to remember him. Many, many people were willing to do just that.

Aside from talking with many of my old friends, I carried a Canon G15 in my pocket to catch stills and snippets of video of the occasion. Unfortunately (fortunately) the camera was in my pocket while I was playing.

is a brief, natural light, hand-held clip of one of the songs.

My main system:
Motherboard: Asus X99-AII
CPU: Intel i7-6850K
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX480-8GB
RAM: Corsair Dominator (4 x 4 GB) DDR4 2400
Disk O/S & Programs: Intel SSD 750 (400 GB)
Disk Active Projects: 1TB & 2TB WD BLACK SN750 NVMe Internal PCI Express 3.0 x4 Solid State Drives
Disk Other: WD Ultrastar/Hitachi Hard Drives: WDBBUR0080BNC-WRSN, HGST HUH728080ALE600, 724040ALE640, HDS3020BLA642
Case: LIAN LI PC-90 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case
CPU cooling: Corsair Hydro series H115i
Power supply: SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Drive Bay: Kingwin KF-256-BK 2.5" and 3.5" Trayless Hot Swap Rack with USB 3
Sound card: Crystal Sound 3 on motherboard. Recording done on another system.
Primary Monitor: Asus ProArt PA248q (24" 1920 x 1200)
O/S: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Build 19045.2130

Camera: Sony RX10 Model IV

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedennischannel