New Vegas 16 seems to perform worse than Vegas 15?

marcel-vossen wrote on 8/29/2018, 9:08 AM

Hi there,

I've just installed the new vegas 16 and openened the project that I am working on with 2 4k MP4 (from GH4/5) tracks in a 1080 project with it.

It seems that the preview playback of the timeline is less stable than it is in Vegas 15, when I set the video settings the same way I had them in Vegas 15:

Dynamic RAM preview max: 4096 (max available is 31676)

Number of rendering threads: 16

GPU acceleration: OFF

I have experimented with these settings in the past and this is what worked best in my Vegas 15, I've NEVER been able to use GPU acceleration in ANY version of Vegas with ANY videocard I ever purchased. The fact that Sony would not recommend any hardware that is compatible with there software was always very annoying to me. When I did enable the GPU acc. vegas would simply crash while rendering or perform worse in the previewing instead of better.

I have a pretty decent card in my Ryzen 1700 system, a Radeon RX 480

Does anyone have any clues for me to get this working better? Do I need to install something apart from the video card drivers in order to get Vegas to work with my card in the best way possible?

For the GPU acceleration setting I can choose between OFF and 'Advanced Micro Devices Inc Ellesmere' which does not even look like it is my Asus Radeon RX 480 card?

Would GPU acceleration even improve the previewing of the timeline or is it just for faster rendering?

Marcel

Comments

RogerS wrote on 8/29/2018, 9:21 AM

I'd try enabling the AMD GPU acceleration for the timeline. Radeon is a brand of AMD. Yes, Vegas uses the GPU for the timeline.

That said if you keep the GPU on when rendering check closely for glitches. I haven't tried 16 yet (will wait until the first patch) but 15 gave me a lot of problems when combining images and video.

Mindmatter wrote on 8/29/2018, 10:21 AM

I must admit that so far, V16 is subjectively not faster than V15. Not scientifically measured tho, but just by testing random stuff and a known project behavior from v15.

phil-d wrote on 8/29/2018, 10:24 AM

Hi

I see nothing has changed. Each new version is worse than the last, I shall not be giving Magix any more money, still waiting for a stable 15, I guess all those promises from 15 are now made for 16.

Regards

Phil

Fiola wrote on 8/29/2018, 11:34 AM

Hi

I see nothing has changed. Each new version is worse than the last, I shall not be giving Magix any more money, still waiting for a stable 15, I guess all those promises from 15 are now made for 16.

Regards

Phil

They should still fix VEGAS 15 ...

monoparadox wrote on 8/29/2018, 12:24 PM

I have found when upgrading Vegas it can be beneficial to clear settings from the earlier version. If you have Vegasaur backup your settings and then reimport them into the clean setup. Also, I would create a new project in the newest version to really get a picture of how well it works. My guess is there are some things that just don't move over well from previous versions.

-- tom

jozef-pavlik wrote on 8/29/2018, 3:09 PM

Hi

Regards

Phil

I just lost $249 for V16 I can't even run the program Im still using V13

fr0sty wrote on 8/29/2018, 3:15 PM

There are recent threads here where several users have successfully fixed program launch errors, you should check the forums.

Vegas 16 is faster, and more reliable. I have done video benchmark tests in other threads on this forum that show about a 25% increase in NVENC encode time, though CPU rendering remains the same (but agian, more stable). I have not yet seen AMD benchmarks, though.

You say you've never been able to use GPU accel in Vegas, does 16 crash as well? I've been using it without issues with my GTX 970.

3POINT wrote on 8/29/2018, 3:29 PM

It seems that the preview playback of the timeline is less stable than it is in Vegas 15, when I set the video settings the same way I had them in Vegas 15:

Dynamic RAM preview max: 4096 (max available is 31676)

Number of rendering threads: 16

GPU acceleration: OFF

Try first following setting: GPU acceleration ON (shows your GPU card type)

Dynamic Preview max : 0

This setting works perfect on my i7 4770 with 16GB RAM and (old) GTX659ti.

fifonik wrote on 8/29/2018, 3:58 PM

> I've NEVER been able to use GPU acceleration in ANY version of Vegas with ANY videocard I ever purchased.

> I have a pretty decent card in my Ryzen 1700 system, a Radeon RX 480

This is strange. I have Radeon 470 + Ryzen 1600 (used to use Intel i5) and never had issues with GPU acceleration in Vegas (13, 15). Cannot say about 16 as looks like I'm going to skip it.

Camcorder: Panasonic X920

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X (not OC), RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200 (not OC), Graphics card: MSI RX580 8GB (factory OC), SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ NVMe 500MB (OS), HDDs: Seagate & Toshiba 2TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 1909

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17

Wolfgang S. wrote on 8/29/2018, 4:54 PM

I have not seen any issue here with my AMD R9 390X, what is quite stable here with both VP15 but also VP16.

I think it is very strange that you cannot select your RX480. Is there another card in your system? Has the processor an internal GPU? If yes I would disable that.

To go down to a dynamic ram preview is always a good test. And test it also with smaller ram allocations like 16 or 50 or 150mb.

I would also not run two 4K streams in an HD project setting. The ongoing rescale workload could make the situation worser maybe. Try to adjust the project settings to the footage, in terms of UHD/4K Resolution but also FPS.

You could also try to disable the so4 decoder. Maybe it helps and works, if the footage is 8bit only.

phil-d wrote on 8/30/2018, 1:05 AM

There are recent threads here where several users have successfully fixed program launch errors, you should check the forums.

Vegas 16 is faster, and more reliable. I have done video benchmark tests in other threads on this forum that show about a 25% increase in NVENC encode time, though CPU rendering remains the same (but agian, more stable). I have not yet seen AMD benchmarks, though.

You say you've never been able to use GPU accel in Vegas, does 16 crash as well? I've been using it without issues with my GTX 970.

Hi

For me I use Vegas as an editor, I have not used it to encode for a long time as it's never offered that much in the way of good rendering options. I typically render out as an uncompressed file and then use TMPGEnc Video Mastering software to encode, this software is a million miles better, faster and more reliable than any compression encoders in Vegas, and I just don't see the various bugs and glitches in the final output I've often seen in various versions of Vegas.

So the editor part of Vegas has to work, it's no good if rendering is faster by 20% if I'm losing hours in debugging Magix software.

Each new version seems to be two steps back, then patches and updates gets us one to two steps forward again, back to where we were with the previous version (if we are lucky), then a new version is launched and we start all over again with issues and new bugs and finding bugs that have gone unfixed.

No more money from me Magix. I know this isn't entirely Magix's fault, they are trying to make best of a rats nest of code and decades of hacks and recoup whatever it cost to purchase from Sony, but really the writing is on the wall, Vegas is never going to get any better.

Regards

Phil

Wolfgang S. wrote on 8/30/2018, 2:36 AM

No more money from me Magix. I know this isn't entirely Magix's fault, they are trying to make best of a rats nest of code and decades of hacks and recoup whatever it cost to purchase from Sony, but really the writing is on the wall, Vegas is never going to get any better.

You say that again and again - only in this thread now 2 times. Fair enough if that is your opinion, but ongoing ranting helps nobody.

PeterWright wrote on 8/30/2018, 3:15 AM

V16 Early days, but best result yet for me with GPU acceleration - I usually switch it off but just rendered a 25 minute project in 3 min 20 sec. (It was an SD project, rendering DVD footage to MP4)

AVsupport wrote on 8/30/2018, 3:25 AM

Early test vaguely indicate on my system better GPU use for some FX for timeline playback, thus reducing CPU load. If that's indeed the case, that can only be a good thing.. (confirmation pending)

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.

Blaque wrote on 8/30/2018, 4:03 AM

Hi

Regards

Phil

I just lost $249 for V16 I can't even run the program Im still using V13

I understand your pain, I cant even get the program past the splash screen. I get the crash window when the program is loading plugin folders, shown on the lower left of the dialog box. First time ever that Vegas has never made it past a frickin splash screen after 14 years of using it as my editor of choice.

And yes this rant right here does serve to help somebody and that's me.

Blaque wrote on 8/30/2018, 5:42 AM

For those who may be having issues with VEGAS Pro 16 crashing during the splash screen loading process, it was discovered that it may be an issue with one of the plugins that come packaged with the suite version and for me that plugin happened to be ignite pro. The process explained on Facebook (in my particular case, may be different for you) is to

first Uninstall just that app (Ignite Pro), reboot, launch VP. Reinstall Ignite with 'Typical' instead of complete, Reboot machine again. This should fix that particular issue for now just until the developers can fix whats causing the issue without the workaround.

BruceUSA wrote on 8/30/2018, 10:46 AM

a short clip VP16

https://vimeo.com/287455141

D7K wrote on 8/30/2018, 11:55 AM

I have not seen any issue here with my AMD R9 390X, what is quite stable here with both VP15 but also VP16.

I think it is very strange that you cannot select your RX480. Is there another card in your system? Has the processor an internal GPU? If yes I would disable that.

To go down to a dynamic ram preview is always a good test. And test it also with smaller ram allocations like 16 or 50 or 150mb.

I would also not run two 4K streams in an HD project setting. The ongoing rescale workload could make the situation worser maybe. Try to adjust the project settings to the footage, in terms of UHD/4K Resolution but also FPS.

You could also try to disable the so4 decoder. Maybe it helps and works, if the footage is 8bit only.

My 480 with 8 gig is running like a champ.

Former user wrote on 8/30/2018, 2:44 PM

a short clip VP16

Which gpu is that?

BruceUSA wrote on 8/30/2018, 2:47 PM

a short clip VP16

Which gpu is that?

Vega 10 frontier edition.

OldaC wrote on 8/30/2018, 3:30 PM

Please, could someone with Ryzen 2700 CPU render SampleProject in Vegas16 using "Internet HD 1080p 25 fps" not NVENC and tell me the time it tooks and how the utilization of CPU was? Thank you!

Path to the project is: C:\ProgramData\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro\16.0\SampleProject

Last changed by OldaC on 8/30/2018, 3:31 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Vegas 16.0 (build 424)
Windows 10 Pro (Windows 10, version 1803 x64 2019-07C)

Intel i7 4770K
16GB RAM
EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1060 SC 6GB VRAM (drivers 419.35)

3x iiyama ProLite XB2483HSU (extended desktop 3x 1920x1080)

konstantinos-sokolas wrote on 8/30/2018, 4:12 PM

I just started a new project in VP16 with same settings as in VP15. Timeline performance is slower unfortunately, especially when trying to move video events with Auto Ripple. Pls fix this ASAP...

marcel-vossen wrote on 9/9/2018, 9:01 AM

When I activate the GPU and check the task manager during playback of my timeline, it seems the GPU is never more than 1-6% active, the CPU is going full power sometimes, I guess that means GPU doesn't work correctly?

musko wrote on 9/9/2018, 10:15 AM

I just started a new project in VP16 with same settings as in VP15. Timeline performance is slower unfortunately, especially when trying to move video events with Auto Ripple. Pls fix this ASAP...

Close Project Media Window (for now).
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/bug-report-in-vegas-pro-16-0-248-events-moving--112754/