Comments

rs170a wrote on 3/9/2006, 11:27 AM
For me, it's Vidcap. I've been asking for a number of improvements since 4.0. I'm still waiting :-(

Mike
JJKizak wrote on 3/9/2006, 11:34 AM
Improve the text and still keep it simple or permantly incorporate a 3rd part app that works without having to re-learn overly complex procedures.

JJK
Spot|DSE wrote on 3/9/2006, 11:36 AM
Pan/Crop keyframes being set to 1.000 smoothness. "0" should be the default.
Coursedesign wrote on 3/9/2006, 11:39 AM
8-bit only render output.
ClipMan wrote on 3/9/2006, 11:50 AM
audio and video tracks ... who uses them anyway? ... waste of space ...

(forgive me, it's a slow day)
zcus wrote on 3/9/2006, 12:00 PM
8 bit ouput also and only perspective 3D, Media Manager is great for acid but for vegas it's just bloat unless they can incorporate it with capture and project folders.
Jimmy_W wrote on 3/9/2006, 12:15 PM
Media Manager and vidcap
Jimmy
Nat wrote on 3/9/2006, 12:17 PM
Media Manager
Pcamp wrote on 3/9/2006, 12:33 PM
1. Project trimmer handling of velocity clips problem.
2. Lack of character level font control & adjustments in titling
winrockpost wrote on 3/9/2006, 12:38 PM
Prerendered files,, could be a great feature ,but too touchy and unpredicatable.
BrianStanding wrote on 3/9/2006, 1:43 PM
Auto ripple.
winrockpost wrote on 3/9/2006, 2:30 PM
ohhh, auto ripple, what a disaster waiting to happen.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 3/9/2006, 2:33 PM
> Auto ripple.

Ditto. Ripple Edit.

In particular, when I have three events that are overlapped by 1 second and I delete the middle event, why does ripple edit add the transitions and make the remaining 2 events overlap by 2 seconds?

There is never a time when I want that behavior. I do this all the time deleting events from the middle of photo montages and ripple edit is totally useless for this because of this adding transition length behavior.

Definitely my least favorite feature.

~jr
Grazie wrote on 3/9/2006, 2:46 PM
Mr Grumpy here, . . . . .

Smart Pre-rendering. If NOTHING has happened to the media then the Pre-rendered media should remain.

Build Ram renders take far too long for me to make an Edit decision.

Cursor SHOULD remain dead centre when Playing. Didn't even VideoFactory allow for "\" to get Cursor to remain in centre? Don;t tell me, there is an option for this?

Copy track should give option for media NOT to group itself OR update each other - seesh! Even Text Media copying allows for a break from the original. Oh yes, Text Keyframing has to be individually changed.

SAME folder paths to be remembered for SAME task.

No TEXT synching with Timeline & Fxs.

NO markers in any FX or TEXT timelines.

I WANT MY MEDIA MANAGER BACK! . .. please!

But YOU just try and take it away from me ... ooohhh!!!

Grazie

dand9959 wrote on 3/9/2006, 2:51 PM
Titling and credits "editor"
johnmeyer wrote on 3/9/2006, 3:09 PM
I would say titling, which stinks, but I could use another program for that (although I don't).

I would say capture, which is amazingly crude, but I already use Scenalyzer, and it works great (for SD).

So, I look to things that I have to do in Vegas. For me, the answer is keyframes.

The keyframe interface is powerful, but the UI is awful. Spot mentioned smoothness defaults, but that's a small nit. The real problem -- of which smoothness is a part -- is that keyframes, especially in pan/crop or track controls, are changing things both over time AND also in space. There is nothing that gives you feedback that helps you set these timing and spatial relationships. The few things that were available, such as the visual path indicator, were taken away with the introduction of Vegas 5, apparently never to return. And of course, when you turn on the "I-bar" to sync the keyframe with the timeline, it ALSO enables adding keyframes. These are two completely independent things, and should have separate enabling buttons. How many people have ended up with unwanted keyframes because they forgot to turn off the sync feature? I have about 100 other complaints about how keyframes are implemented, but I'll save them for the day when (and if) Sony ever asks me.

Keyframes need a complete re-think from the ground up. The underlying plumbing, however, works just fine and, of course, the ability to keyframe just about everything is one of the biggest selling points of the product.

mjroddy wrote on 3/9/2006, 4:42 PM
Keyframing - I agree with John - I like how keyframes work in Boris/Lightwave, etc. (being able to adjust the spline curves on an individual basis or in units)
Vid Cap - feels very clunky compared
Titling - Wish we had something like Live Type built in
Better integration with progs like Boris Red
Bkg Rendering (as mentioned above)
Ability to use the GPU for faster performance (I just saw Liquid and was knocked out by its performance)
10 bit - that colour depth would be nice!
I, for one, wouldn't mind hardware acceleration ala Axio or similar, but I know I'm in the vast minority there.
B.Verlik wrote on 3/9/2006, 4:45 PM
Well, I've already posted this in another thread, but it is a Vegas product.
The lousy Menu mpeg rendering for all the DVD-As. Why can't we control that?
Edward wrote on 3/9/2006, 4:57 PM
3d comp is limited within the parent track's dimensions... or am i missing something...
Serena wrote on 3/9/2006, 5:11 PM
8 bit limitations.

Incidentally, noting that a number of people say that the Media Manager is their least favourite capability, I've just started using Media Manager properly and I find it a great help for my current project which is a doco with a rather non-linear narrative. Takes some time to classify all the material, but I've discovered that to be worthwhile for ease later on. Can it replace the hand-written log? Probably not; I'm rather habituated to that. Unquestionably worth the time notating your own stock footage etc.
And we hear Grazie complaining that his MM has taken a holiday and bemoaning that it hasn't returned.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 3/9/2006, 6:26 PM
plugin renaming from SoFo days... I lost all my V4 plugins settings in old projects because they no longer are installed anymore. :(
craftech wrote on 3/9/2006, 7:45 PM
It is a toss up between that God awful antequated credit roll generator, the titler, and Ripple edit.

John
PeterWright wrote on 3/9/2006, 7:53 PM
I'd like the bezier masking to be a little more user friendly.
The ability to zoom in and out easily for fine tuning, and when I want to move a single point I often seem to get bezier handles when I don't want them - probably user error but the tools and tasks could definitely be clearer and easier.
johnmeyer wrote on 3/9/2006, 7:57 PM
I'd like the bezier masking to be a little more user friendly.

Amen. Just used it for the first time last week. Needs work.