Offline editing with Vegas Pro 14

bryan-wilson wrote on 9/23/2016, 4:41 PM

Just installed Vegas Pro 14. Do you now have to be online at all times to use this? I just tried to import a video into the timeline and a grey box popped up stating "You are not connected to the internet" and would not allow me to import my clip at all. This better NOT be the case as I edit offline 99% off the time. 

Comments

Quitter wrote on 9/23/2016, 5:32 PM

that only happens when you use a file for a codec still needs to be activated
Magix behavior😐

Last changed by Quitter on 9/23/2016, 5:34 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Camcorder: Sony CX 520 VE
Hardware:   Acer NG-A717-72G-71YD, Win 11 , i7-8750 H, 16GB, GTX 1060 6GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD
NLE:  Sony Vegas Pro 13.0 Build 453
            Vegas Pro 14.0 Build 270
            Vegas Pro 21.0 Build 300

ushere wrote on 9/23/2016, 6:40 PM

wow, it's getting worse with all the comments i'm reading. frankly i'm about to give up with vegas - not that i've even had any offers from magix other than for nearly ALL their other software?

go it today when opening vegas - of course they're joking only giving me three days to make such a decision!!!

bryan-wilson wrote on 9/23/2016, 9:35 PM

that only happens when you use a file for a codec still needs to be activated
Magix behavior😐

What bothers me about that is this was Black Magic footage and those codecs were advertised to be IN Vegas Pro 14.

ushere wrote on 9/23/2016, 10:00 PM

ok, that does it - i have to go online to download codecs!? magix needs to stop treating me like some 16 year old pirate who wants to edit a simple mp4 for youtube. 

GJeffrey wrote on 9/23/2016, 10:23 PM

ok, that does it - i have to go online to download codecs!?

So far, you don't download any codec, just register it. It happens to me for the fake ac3 and hevc. Agree with you though, that it's not the good way....

magix needs to stop treating me like some 16 year old pirate who wants to edit a simple mp4 for youtube. 

Especially vp14 can already be found FOC... Make me wonder the purpose of all those online registrations

rstrong wrote on 9/23/2016, 11:03 PM

Man this is sounding so bad !!

R. Strong

Custom remote refrigerated water cooled system for CPU & GPU. Intel i7- 6950X, 10 Core (4.3 Turbo) 64gb DDR4, Win7 64 Bit, SP1. Nvidia RTX 2080, Studio driver 431.36, Cameras: Sony HVR-Z5U, HVR-V1U, HVR-A1U, HDR-HC3. Canon 5K MK2, SX50HS. GoPro Hero2. Nikon CoolPix P510. YouTube: rstrongvideo

NickHope wrote on 9/25/2016, 1:51 PM

I downloaded a few ProRes samples to test from http://www.cinemartin.com/cinec/samples/ The first time I attempted to drag one of the ProRes 422 files to the timeline, VP14 went online to activate the codec. The first time I got an error message telling me it couldn't establish an online connection, although my web browser was behaving normally. It hung and I had to kill VP14 from the task manager.

The 2nd time I tried this, it told me the HEVC-codec was activated successfully (which surprised me a little, as it's ProRes, not HEVC, but anyway...):

That was a few days ago. I haven't seen this type of behaviour for any other codec. I just tried a ProRes clip again and it doesn't try to go online, so presumably the activation is locked in until you do a major reinstallation.

Quitter wrote on 9/25/2016, 1:57 PM

That is right.
You only have to register / activate once the appropriate codecs.

Camcorder: Sony CX 520 VE
Hardware:   Acer NG-A717-72G-71YD, Win 11 , i7-8750 H, 16GB, GTX 1060 6GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD
NLE:  Sony Vegas Pro 13.0 Build 453
            Vegas Pro 14.0 Build 270
            Vegas Pro 21.0 Build 300

Former user wrote on 9/25/2016, 3:44 PM

Nick, I am using the trial of 14 and downloaded the Pro Res file and it loaded it without activating anything. Weird.

It won't play the 4444 ProRes which is not surprise, but it plays the 422 HQ with no problem

NickHope wrote on 9/26/2016, 9:57 PM

Apparently "Additional Activation" of codecs etc. can actually be done on another computer or over the telephone. Quote from http://www.magix.com/us/support/technical-support/#c69706 :

"Some software programs require additional activation of components such as codecs, for instance, to be able to use specific formats. Sometimes a free one-off activation is necessary for certain special program functions (e.g. encoder). When you register your product this activation will happen automatically, all you need is an Internet connection. You can repeat the activation twice... ...Activation can be done online on your own computer, on another computer or offline over the phone."

Have people been seeing those "Via Service Center" and "Via Telephone" links in the HEVC-Codec Activation window (which pops up when you try to open ProRes media)?

You still need to be connected to the internet on the computer that Vegas is installed on to do the initial activation.

Former user wrote on 9/26/2016, 9:58 PM

this brings up another question. when you activate Vegas and the activate the codecs, are they limited to amount of activations as well?

NickHope wrote on 9/26/2016, 10:42 PM

this brings up another question. when you activate Vegas and the activate the codecs, are they limited to amount of activations as well?

We've been told (can't find it now cuz still no search engine) that you can activate on 2 computers. If you want to activate on a further one, you have to deactivate on an existing one.

As for "Additional Activations" (codecs etc.), that page says "You can repeat the activation twice". I don't know if that means twice EVER. That would be bad.

Former user wrote on 9/26/2016, 10:44 PM

As for "Additional Activations" (codecs etc.), that page says "You can repeat the activation twice". I don't know if that means twice EVER. That would be bad.

that is what I was referring to. Once you get into separate activations for parts of a single program, it can get to be a sticky wicket. 

I I remember correctly, didn't you used to have to purchase or activate the MP3 output after a few trial renders? That went away.