Comments

Grazie wrote on 4/16/2008, 4:41 AM
Details?? I want the PICS! Give me the visuals!!!
John_Cline wrote on 4/16/2008, 4:48 AM
Gee, it's too bad there weren't some video people at the party, maybe they could have shot some video...
Grazie wrote on 4/16/2008, 5:05 AM
John, that is excellent! Well, guy, I suppose if they had that much exposure then how could they say next year it was an "exclusive" event - when the likes of you and I could get to see it the very next day. Special people John . . special people.

. .and yes . .very funny

Grazie
Tinle wrote on 4/16/2008, 5:40 AM
Perhaps what happens in Vegas in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas
rs170a wrote on 4/16/2008, 6:08 AM
Keep in mind the time difference.
It's only 6:08 a.m. in Las Vegas as I type this.
Let them wake up and have a coffee before they start posting :-)

Mike
Konrad wrote on 4/16/2008, 7:31 AM
Sorry No Pictures here

It was not technical it was the 3C's Content, Content, Content.

I think it was Dave Chaimson said 1920 is the new SD. With Red's new 3k, 4k and 5k lineup it was a comment that stuck in my memory. I almost forgot Vegas Sales are up 50%.
Nobody wrote on 4/16/2008, 8:01 AM
No pictures here (and nothing scandalous to report either). There were people taping, and there were interviews afterwards with Vegas users to be put together later and shown on the web.

If I heard correctly, the cool news was 64 bit Vegas to be a free upgrade to current Vegas Pro users. I believe 64 bit and 32 bit projects would be interchangeable?

DVDA5 will be a free upgrade to 4.5 users. New features include BluRay authoring.

I'm sure somebody will come up with a full report later...
DSCalef wrote on 4/16/2008, 9:20 AM
Press release yesterday afternoon as reported by Sports Video Group:

"Sony Creative Software adapts Blu-ray to platforms"

David S. Calef
EventVideoTeam.com
michaelshive wrote on 4/16/2008, 10:05 AM
Short summary: Spot talked, Dave Hill talked, Les Stroud (Survivorman) was the keynote...the guy before Les Stroud had really cool skydiving footage but I can't remember his name. The common theme was that Vegas has freed them to be more creative and not limited by technical issues other NLEs face. They announced new versions of Vegas (8.0c) and DVD Archicect (5.0) that will both will be available as free downloads this summer. There was free food and drink...good times.

I thought it was ironic that almost every speaker made anti-Apple references yet they were running all of their presentations via Keynote on a Macbook.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 4/16/2008, 10:16 AM
I thought it was ironic that almost every speaker made anti-Apple references yet they were running all of their presentations via Keynote on a Macbook.

no one likes prostate exams either, but they still get them! :)
michaelshive wrote on 4/16/2008, 10:38 AM
I thought it was the other way around! Vegas is the sole reason why I still even have a PC!
Cheno wrote on 4/16/2008, 11:55 AM
"I thought it was the other way around! Vegas is the sole reason why I still even have a PC!"

Exactly the same here - only use Vegas - everything else is done on the Mac now.

I think one milestone to note is that Sony Creative had their own booth this year. They weren't even on the same floor as Sony Professional which IMO is a sign that they're creating their own legs and growing as their own division of Sony. The booth was alway busy and it was VERY refresing to see Vegas up front and center, rather than mixed in and almost hidden among Sony Professional booth. Very good sign even though most of the large plug-in makers still don't consider Vegas part of the playing field. Sad note on their part.

Smaller NAB than in years past. Less crowded for sure. One thing that not having Apple and Avid there did is allowed much more room for a number of smaller vendors to make an appearance this year. To me that's where most of the exciting stuff is. Gotta root for the underdogs.

Line to get in to take a dump was shorter than the Red booth so I opted to go potty instead... ;)

cheno
John_Cline wrote on 4/16/2008, 12:03 PM
SCS had their own booth last year, it was right next to Adobe's. The SCS booth was really busy as well.
johnmeyer wrote on 4/16/2008, 12:04 PM
Very good sign even though most of the large plug-in makers still don't consider Vegas part of the playing field. Sad note on their part. No, that's a sad note on Sony's part.

The good news is that they (Sony Madison) clearly are doing better in the past year than they have ever done, in getting support from third parties (iZotope comes to mind).

The bad news is your remark above, which indicates that they are not sponsoring plugin developers within their booth. IMHO, this is a requirement in order to be a serious player in this business.

Cheno wrote on 4/16/2008, 12:42 PM
"SCS had their own booth last year, it was right next to Adobe's. The SCS booth was really busy as well."

You're right - I forget I walked very little of the floor last year.

"The bad news is your remark above, which indicates that they are not sponsoring plugin developers within their booth. IMHO, this is a requirement in order to be a serious player in this business."

This is very true. VASST was at the Sony booth. NewBlue was at the Sony booth. However there was "Plug-In Central" over near adobe where many of the plug-in companies were holding up fort. Granted MB works with Vegas but it appears that much of the mindset is that Vegas doesn't even exist to most plug-in developers when they're considering what programs to write for. Not sure what Sony is doing to entertain this.

I agree that Sony Madison is bigger this year than they've been in the past and I'd I'd like to think I'd be one of the first to champion their causes. It's still disappointing though that there are a number of companies who haven't taken proper notice though.

apit34356 wrote on 4/16/2008, 12:47 PM
"The bad news is your remark above, which indicates that they are not sponsoring plugin developers within their booth. IMHO, this is a requirement in order to be a serious player in this business." Yea, the 3nd party apps and plugins are critical. But Sony being the Consumer product king in name has to travel a different road for all it Pro and OEM products ( and these products are big business). SCS is so small in Sony revenue that I think its a fight during the fiscal year to get Division management attention, a lot of tough choices with so many divisions. I think SCS is doing the best they can with the limited resources assigned to them. Of course, I would approach this issue differently, but that is easily said from the sideline. ;-)
farss wrote on 4/16/2008, 1:41 PM
How can they get plugin developers interested when the interface that they offer the developers limits functionality. Until that is addressed by Vegas nothing is going to change.

Bob.
FrigidNDEditing wrote on 4/17/2008, 1:23 AM
"Sony this summer will also be introducing version 8.0c of the Sony Vegas. Sony Creative Software will also be launching this June their DVD Architect Pro 5."

Just so that you are all aware (this is for all you canon users) they said that they are going to have fixed problems with reading some of the HDV codecs that they've currently been having. I took this to mean that they have the canon HDV problem more or less fixed in 8c

Just assuming though so you all know what they say about that.

Dave
Adrianos wrote on 4/18/2008, 5:03 AM
YAAAYYY. lets summer party with Sony for 8.0c and the Canon fixups !!!!
JohnnyRoy wrote on 4/18/2008, 6:23 AM
> "The bad news is your remark above, which indicates that they are not sponsoring plugin developers within their booth."

Yes they are. As Cheno said, NewBlue and us (VASST) had kiosks at the Sony booth and we were very busy all day long. SCS also had their Sony Theater presentations at the booth which ran every hour. BorisFX showed RED, iZotope showed RX, Ensequence showed on-Q their Blu-ray Java for Blu-Print, and NewBlue showed their plugs and I showed Ultimate S Pro 4.0. So plugin developers where there all day showing our stuff.

> How can they get plugin developers interested when the interface that they offer the developers limits functionality.

I was talking with the NewBlue guys and while they acknowledged there were limitations in the Sony API, they also praised the API for capabilities that Adobe, AVID, and other hosts don't have, handling some of the more complex tasks for them. I'm hoping that Sony can overcome these limitations in the future. It would be great to open Boris RED and have it at least know the project size and how long my event is. :(

~jr
Konrad wrote on 4/18/2008, 7:28 AM
At the FCP Super Meet the huge crowd was begging the head of FCP to add Blu-ray support. SCS was doing a DVDA 5 demo several times a day pushing the free upgrade including BR support. The "worlds fastest music video cut" at the Super Meet did feature a very cool camera time code trick but the editing portion of the demo was identical to a demo being run twice a day at the SCS booth. There were two stages at SCS the small stage was partner demos all day long,

Although SCS staff were clueless when asked how do you get video from a P2 Panasonic into Vegas.
Seth wrote on 4/18/2008, 7:37 AM
Panasonic P2 is low on SCS's priority list. Then again, Panasonic P2 is low on Panasonic's priority list. Sony and Panasonic developed AVCHD together, and that is the direction that Pannie is headed, so be ready for better support of Pannie's products, and less excuses.
jrazz wrote on 4/18/2008, 8:05 AM
Here are some videos and stills from NAB.

I caught Grazie cutting a rug at the Vegas party (It was rumored he wasn't there, but if this video isn't proof, I don't know what is :)

Here is JohnnyRoy explaining the depths of what is known as Ultimate S Pro.

Here he is again at the VASST Kiosk.

Here is the front side of the Sony booth when Les Stroud was speaking.

Enjoy!

j razz

MarkWWW wrote on 4/18/2008, 11:26 AM
I see there is a reference on the sign in the VASST Kiosk picture to a plugin called "Broadcast Assistant". Does anyone have any details about this? (There doesn't seem to be anything on the VASST website about it.)

Mark