OT: Blu Ray Burner $79

Stringer wrote on 12/16/2010, 4:03 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136181&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3332167&SID=u00000687

Don't know if this is a new low price or a limited special...

I have this burner, and it has worked fine for me so far . If I remember correctly, I paid $119 a few months ago ..

Comments

CClub wrote on 12/17/2010, 4:46 PM
Cool... thanks for the heads-up. Just ordered one.

Edit: just looked on Amazon... this burner sells for $102.79
warriorking wrote on 12/17/2010, 4:54 PM
I have 2 of the earlier LG Bluray Burners for over 2 yrs without a single Coaster burned........Excellent product...
CClub wrote on 12/17/2010, 5:29 PM
WarriorKing,
What're you using for media? Also, are you using DVDA and the Vegas templates? If so, are you burning an ISO and then using another program such as IMGBurn?
warriorking wrote on 12/17/2010, 6:26 PM
I use the Vegas template and burn with DVDA5 and now 5.2
I have been using the Quantam Optical BD-R as well as the Vinpower digital from Newegg...Seems to play fine on most newer Bluray players as well as the PS3.... The only other software besides DVDA5 I have used is Nero 9 and now 10....
LJA wrote on 12/18/2010, 6:18 AM
I also have this LG burner. Prepare ISOs with DVDA 5.1, burn with ImgBurn onto Verbatim BD-RE and BD-D discs. No problems.
LReavis wrote on 12/18/2010, 5:06 PM
I got it last night - thanks for the tip - it's my first BD burner
PerroneFord wrote on 12/18/2010, 8:09 PM
You guys are going to RUIN it! Everyone KNOWS BluRay is expensive and complex. Don't start telling people you can have burners for under $100 and media for $1.50 a disk...

Geez people...
gpsmikey wrote on 12/19/2010, 10:53 AM
Hey, finally getting down to my price range !! I still remember when DVD writers were $5k - now we can get the BlueRay for under $100. Time to get serious about it I guess (of course that means a new TV for the living room and a player for it too ... )

mikey
PerroneFord wrote on 12/19/2010, 11:45 AM
Why?

I use BluRay mostly for data backup. I cut very few BluRay for video purposes.
DGates wrote on 12/19/2010, 2:43 PM
Also from Newegg, the Ridata 25-pack ink jet hub-printables are $32.
Melachrino wrote on 12/19/2010, 3:07 PM
Stringer:

Can I assume that this Blueray burner works with Windows 7 ? Your setup says you use Windows 7 x64. The specs on the burner cover only Windows Xp and Vista.

At this price I am very tempted to finally take the plunge if it works.
PerroneFord wrote on 12/19/2010, 3:10 PM
Wow, $1.28 a disk. I can remember when I was paying $28.99 each. LOL!

I wonder where all those people went who kept telling me that miniDV is cheaper...
Stringer wrote on 12/19/2010, 4:32 PM
" Can I assume that this Blueray burner works with Windows 7 ? Your setup says you use Windows 7 x64 "

Definitely works with Win7 ..
Jay Gladwell wrote on 12/20/2010, 3:44 AM

And how does one tell if this burner will accept the LTH discs? I can't find that information anywhere.

LJA wrote on 12/20/2010, 6:45 AM
"And how does one tell if this burner will accept the LTH discs?"

When I bought mine, Newegg shipped a free LTH disc with the burner. It worked fine. Warning though: not all players will read them.
Melachrino wrote on 12/20/2010, 9:34 AM
Thanks Stringer for your answer.

Other: Good point re LTH discs.
Are the Ridata low cost Blueray discs LTH or normal ? The specs on line do not say.
Is there a forum somewhere which lists the blueray players which play LTH discs ? There is a list that show which blueray players play ordinary BD5's and which do not. But I cannot find the list for LTH compatibilty.
One cannot share media if compatibility is an issue, and usually an unknown of what player the client has.
wwaag wrote on 12/20/2010, 9:59 AM
Bought this burner a couple of weeks ago at the same price. Also a spindle of Ridata discs--not the inkjet compatible, but the silver discs. First 3 attempts were coasters. Thought the burner might be defective, but ordered a spindle of Verbatim BD-Rs and a single BD-RE disc. These have worked great. Although rated at 4X, they burn well at 8X. Play in both a Panasonic and Sony blu-ray player. I must have gotten a bad batch of the Ridata discs, since others have reported no problems of Newegg's customer reviews.

wwaag

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

Melachrino wrote on 12/20/2010, 4:25 PM
I obtained a partial answer to the question of LTH disc compatibility, but it addresses burners and not players.

Go to Verbatim website and it has a list of burners which work with LTH discs and burners which do not work with LTH.

I am still looking for a list of LTH compatible players. Suppossedly, players made after 2009 are compatible, but how can one tell ??
DGates wrote on 12/20/2010, 11:40 PM
Wwag, I've only just started using the Ridatas from Newegg. I too was using the Verbatims and having good results with them. I just wanted to try something a little cheaper. I've just used the first 3, and each was fine.

As for LTH, I don't see anything on the Ridata spindle that mentions i., so I guess it's not?
LJA wrote on 12/21/2010, 7:31 AM
In the copy I have of a PDF from the Verbatim web site, there is a list at the bottom of playback compatibility of a number of players, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG among them. Most of the models listed accept them, but some don't. I cannot tell from the list if the ones that don't are all older.
Melachrino wrote on 12/21/2010, 9:17 AM
LJA,
I went back to the Verbatim website and they seem to have updated the LTH info. They now say:
"Verbatim’s BD-R LTH complies with Blu-ray® Standard version 1.2. Our BD-R LTH is supported by all current Blu-ray® burners and most older models with firmware update. Also, Verbatim BD-R LTH is supported by most Blu-ray® players including Sony’s PS3™."

I could not find their previous list nor the pdf file download. Seems that the Newegg connection to Verbatim LTH specs is old.
So, "most" players is still too ambiguous.
LJA wrote on 12/22/2010, 1:48 PM
Melachrino,

Using my profile send me an e-mail message and I will reply with a copy of the PDF I have. It is marked "july 2010". It may or may not be useful to you.
bsuratt wrote on 12/22/2010, 7:43 PM
(I don't know the details but this is what I have gleaned from mfg sources)

The LTH Discs ("Low to High") are slightly different in the way the writing process reacts on the disc material. Standard discs are apparently "High to Low"

The LTH discs can be produced on modified DVD disc production lines and therefore are much cheaper to produce since completely new Blu-ray production equipment is not needed.

Melachrino wrote on 12/23/2010, 6:14 PM
LJA,

Thanks for the offer. I emailed you separately.

I ordered the burner from Newegg and got it the next day. Amazing ! I also got some low cost Ridata discs to try. Plan to install tomorrow and see what happens.

Great suggestions and tips, guys.