Comments

Spot|DSE wrote on 1/9/2007, 5:57 PM
It's here, and they're showing it hard. Full Apple OS with full application ability, and plugs into iPod charger, and all iPod accessories. Partnered with Cingular
That, plus their new home media network system, Apple Inc (new name) is positioning themselves to take over the world. :-)
p@mast3rs wrote on 1/9/2007, 6:29 PM
for $500? Ill pass.
ken c wrote on 1/9/2007, 6:38 PM
this however Is one media I'd learn how to shoot video for ... like as in right now... if we can get the screen specs etc... there's a lot of ipod video how-to out there, it would be great to see if sony vegas or one of us, could come up with the preset parameters for "render to" for the right aspect ratio, best codecs etc, for the media

ken
Spot|DSE wrote on 1/9/2007, 6:53 PM
$500.00 might seem like a lot, and I'll definitely not be owning one, but in truth, it's a mini Mac, and you can back up all your presentations, applications, etc on the phone. Pretty much the first convergence phone ever created. Like a Blackberry with much more.
corug7 wrote on 1/9/2007, 7:11 PM
Or $50.00 with a two-year activation.

Hey, one can dream.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 1/9/2007, 8:16 PM
for $500 i'd say that's one hell of a steal. With full OS X support it make Windows CE PDA's look like crap. Wouldn't it be awesome if FCP could be installed on there? :) I'd prefer Vegas though.

Honestly, I don't care about the phone part of it. I'm more interested in everything else it could do. Maybe still run *NIX apps too? :) Maybe something to replace my PDA with? :D

Tech Specs
CClub wrote on 1/9/2007, 8:17 PM
Forget about just the iPhone. Don't items like Apple TV threaten the need for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD for your average home consumer? Why burn to an expensive disc or purchase another expensive piece of hardware when I can just run anything from my computer directly to my TV?
TheHappyFriar wrote on 1/9/2007, 9:30 PM
DVR's & such have been out before bd & hddvd. They also now support HD. So it's not a threat, it's another option. People just like discs over data they have no control over (I do).
busterkeaton wrote on 1/9/2007, 9:53 PM
I followed that Apple Link and then followed a link in Apple News to David Pogue's podcast where he compares OS X and MS Vista. It's funny to listen to a tech guru speak over a too loud, distracting music bed.

Going further-further off topic, I was in B&H Photo today. Most folks know that B&H is owned partially or fully by Hasidic Jews and when you shop there you expect that. Today however, I got to see a Hasidic Jew selling a MP3 player to three Tibetan monks in bright orange robes. That is something you don't see everyday.
apit34356 wrote on 1/10/2007, 6:30 AM
Busterkeaton, did you get a pic of the Hasidim Jew selling a MP3 player to three Tibetan monks? The selling part is nothing new, but the extreme difference in "color" creates a unique image, truly, a pic is worth 10,000 words!
ken c wrote on 1/10/2007, 6:47 AM
I predict iPhone will be a *huge* hit and will eclipse even ipod's popularity ...

I'd be learning how to format video for the format, when specs are available, and OFFER THAT AS A CLIENT SERVICE to your folks' clients. (get your ad spots on the iPhone! get preview clips of your company's demos on iPhone format! I'll do it for you! eg render from Vegas into the format)

There, I just doubled your 2008 incomes. Say thanks later :)

Ken
bevross wrote on 1/10/2007, 7:06 AM
Initial cost will only be a fraction of the expense -- I'd image some type of wireless broadband will be needed to run most of the services. What's that -- around $50 to $80/month more? Maybe someday wireless broadband will offer the same speed for the same cost as wired. But, aren't we still waiting for the day when we can drop landlines completely for cellphones?
je@on wrote on 1/10/2007, 7:48 AM
The mind blower is that it runs an (apparently) full OSX system. It won't be long before FCP is running on it or something very similar. Noting Gates' recent CES presentation, it appears that M$ is way behind the curve. Not getting it. M$ still thinks desktop while Apple is thinking mobile.

Apple changes everything... again.
busterkeaton wrote on 1/10/2007, 9:15 AM
D'oh!
dand9959 wrote on 1/10/2007, 9:46 AM
oh, the joys of editing a feature length film on a cell phone! Can't wait.
rs170a wrote on 1/10/2007, 10:17 AM
oh, the joys of editing a feature length film on a cell phone! Can't wait.

You're too late. It's already being done.
The Incredible Shrinking Feature Film

Mike
dand9959 wrote on 1/10/2007, 12:14 PM
Bzzzz!

That article said nothing about what they used to edit the video. Only that it was shot using a cell phone.
rs170a wrote on 1/10/2007, 12:36 PM
Who cares what they used to edit it.
The fact that it was shot with a cell phone and then up-rezzed to 35mm. for theatrical release is strange enough.
What's next?

Mike
dand9959 wrote on 1/10/2007, 12:52 PM
Well, I certainly don't care! :-) Gimme HD on a 100" screen.

It was just the first thought that came to mind when someone (jokingly, I assume) said that, given osX on the iPhone, how long until we see FCP as an app.
rstein wrote on 1/10/2007, 12:55 PM
I seem to recall reading that all the media on the phone will be managed through the itunes store.

If Apple wants its finger in every upload and download to my phone, no thank you.

Bob.
Coursedesign wrote on 1/10/2007, 6:14 PM
Not through the store, through the iTunes library on your computer, which can include ripped CDs, etc.

Interesting to note Apple's announcement this week that they had already sold 2 billion songs (1 billion just in the last year), 50 million television episodes, and over 1.3 million feature-length films via iTunes.

So much for the Wall Street consulting firm that forecast its demise recently... (they could have been paid by MS to troll, who knows).
p@mast3rs wrote on 1/10/2007, 7:43 PM
Its been reported that while it runs on OSX, you cant add or install any other apps. You get exactly what you buy and no tweakbility. Still not worth it.
dat5150 wrote on 1/10/2007, 7:49 PM
I wouldn't call it 'revolutionary'. It's like a Palm Life Drive crossed with a Pocket PC except its sexier.

I'm not trying to knock it....I'll get excited when it has a minimum 60gb hd.