OT: Irene

kairosmatt wrote on 8/23/2011, 6:26 PM
Looks like we're gonna get slammed by this one: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201109.html
we're right under where it says 2PM Thursday!

I was thinking about getting some hurricane footage though (once all the house and equipment prep is as done as it can be), anyone got any sever weather tips?? I got a gopro, which I might favour since its easier on the wallet than everything else. What HAVEN'T you guys seen before that would be interesting to try and get?

kairosmatt

Comments

amendegw wrote on 8/23/2011, 6:45 PM
Hmmm... I'm about 50 miles from the Sunday, 2pm "bullseye". The good news is the forecast is down to category 1 by then.

...Jerry

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9

Opampman wrote on 8/23/2011, 7:04 PM
I was really worried earlier today when the forecast showed it making landfall in Wilmington, NC. Just dropped my son off at college there at UNC-W and not excited about him going thru a hurricane his first week.

Kent
PeterDuke wrote on 8/23/2011, 7:19 PM
"What HAVEN'T you guys seen before that would be interesting to try and get?"

I have seen footage that would scare me to death if I were in it. If I were you I would save my money for the repairs afterwards rather than do something foolhardy, but then I am not into bungee jumping or skydiving either. Good luck!
Steven Myers wrote on 8/23/2011, 7:21 PM
I would like to see footage from a camera positioned downwind from a lumberyard.
kairosmatt wrote on 8/23/2011, 7:38 PM
Sorry, no lumber yards here! And just heard TWC is here, so they insane shots are someone else's department!

I was thinking along the lines of timelapses and clouds, don't even know if you can get a good shot because of the rain. The gopro, depending on the wind strength when it gets here, might be able to attach to a rail and see some cool formations. Anyone tried this before?

kairosmatt
fldave wrote on 8/23/2011, 10:16 PM
My last one was hurricane Dennis, about 110mph at my house, eye about 8 miles from here. Quick and dirty. Filmed from my garage window, not very interesting.

We have a boat sales place a few hundred feet from our house now. Hope to get lots of 25' boats flying thru the air next time.

Seriously, stay in, get what you can from safety. An earlier storm, before I had my camera set up, it was lines and lines of mini-tornadoes down the middle of my street. Not a fun time to be outside.

As the storm approaches, it is very cool to go to the beach and film the waves and crazy surfers.
Steve Mann wrote on 8/23/2011, 11:41 PM
I got some neat handheld shots of the clouds as the storm that spawned the Springfield (MA) tornadoes earlier this summer passed our way.

I need to find that and put it on YouTube.
john_dennis wrote on 8/24/2011, 11:11 PM
"I was thinking along the lines of timelapses and clouds"

Depending on how close it is, timelapse may not be what you need. Things might be moving so fast you may need high speed capture.
Steve Mann wrote on 8/25/2011, 12:15 AM
Growing up in Houston, I've seen my share of hurricanes, most significant was Carla in 1961. A cat-5 storm. The clouds don't really move that fast, but the danger is mostly from flying debris.

We will spend Saturday tying down the patio furniture and bringing anything small into the garage. In all, I am not too worried, but we're going to buy a couple of gallons of drinking water and to make sure the gas tanks in the cars are full.