Comments

blink3times wrote on 1/7/2008, 10:01 PM
The story has been kicking around all day... no firm answer yet though. At this point Paramount has stated that they continue to support HD DVD but did not announce any new films for HD DVD.

But if this does happen, it will turn HD DVD's slow death into a rather fast one. I doubt we will have to wait long for a definitive answer from Paramount either way... maybe a few days.

I'm an avid HD DVD fan and I truly believe that HD DVD is a better choice for the people and in a better position to compete with dvd. Notwithstanding, it makes me a little nervous having one group of people with so much control.... and Sony will have it if BD wins this.

But I'm an even bigger HDM fan and this war is now hurting the HDM world... it's time for it to end and HD DVD is a sinking ship. Unless they can come up with something big and beautiful in the next week or so, they should just shut it down and be done with it so we can get on with enjoying the hi def world. I've got at least 100 HD DVD disks that will need to be converted over to Blu ray and the sooner we have a concrete winner, the sooner I'll be able to start in on the task.
craftech wrote on 1/8/2008, 5:38 AM
At this point Paramount has stated that they continue to support HD DVD but did not announce any new films for HD DVD.
============
1/8/08
"Zodiac"
2/12/08
"Into the Wild"
2/26/08
"Beowulf (2007)"
3/28/08
"Star Trek: The Original Series - Season Two"
Source: Hi-Def Digest.

John
Spot|DSE wrote on 1/8/2008, 10:22 PM
I'll post pix tomorrow, but all three HD DVD booths (large booths) were dead as a ghost town compared to Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic's Blu-ray displays, and the BD consortium display set up like a pirate ship. All of those were jam-packed with people. Samsung's OEM rooms were line-up only entry, as they've got some new OEM BD product as well.
The difference was not only conspicuous, but deafening. Attitude all around the Toshiba booth was hang-dog, even though they've got some very cool new laptops (with HD DVD players on them) and some very sweet new displays.
Houston Haynes wrote on 1/8/2008, 11:02 PM
I thought I read in another forum that the contract for Paramount's exclusive support of HD DVD was to expire in May, and they were not planning to renew... again, no way to verify but it struck me as an interesting assertion, particularly since I read it *before* TW came out for BD.
blink3times wrote on 1/9/2008, 3:20 AM
They have a "get out" clause in the contract that allows them to go should WB defect. My guess is that they won't use it (for the moment yet anyway). If HD DVD goes down fast then there is no sense in Paramount looking like they're twisting the knife so to speak.
apit34356 wrote on 1/9/2008, 6:09 AM
It appears that Paramount permitted(licensed) HD DVD group some/all new titles names/symbols to be used for promo themes,( exact time length and payment scheduled is not public information yet). It appears Paramount is waiting for balance or contract release--------- which is the only fair thing for all parties or they will be in court for years if history reflects anything.
Laurence wrote on 1/9/2008, 8:06 AM
If the HD format war was a political election, the 60 to 80 percent margin that Blu-ray is winning by would be considered a landslide.
filmy wrote on 1/9/2008, 1:44 PM
Hey all - I am not dead yet.
Just decided to pop in and I saw this and found it funny because the trades for high end home theatre install have almost nothing on Sony's flavor but push HD DVD because it is more compliant, and Toshiba is touting the HD-A35 to the installers as it is HDMI and Ethernet ready. And I am talking about the newest talk - this months talk.

If HD-DVD does go bottoms up the high end install industry is going to be up in arms.

EDIT - but the way Paramount did respond right away it seems - this is from yesterday:

"Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures denied a newspaper report that the studio is poised to follow Time Warner Inc. in abandoning Toshiba Corp.'s HD DVD technology.

``Paramount's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format,'' Brenda Ciccone, a spokeswoman for Paramount, said in an e-mail today.

[SNIP]

Keisuke Ohmori, a spokesman for Tokyo-based Toshiba, said the report is speculative. Masayo Endo, a spokeswoman for Sony, declined to comment on the report."
Terje wrote on 1/9/2008, 2:31 PM
If HD-DVD does go bottoms up the high end install industry is going to be up in arms.

Just out of curiosity - why?

Paramount's current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format

Which is the exact same thing Warner said all through December. They have no choice, it is basically the law, even if they intended to announce that they are dropping the format tomorrow.
blink3times wrote on 1/9/2008, 2:36 PM
Paramount's CURRENT plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format
Coursedesign wrote on 1/9/2008, 2:38 PM
push HD DVD because it is more compliant

More compliant? Softer cables? :O)

Seriously, compliant with what?

Are they suggesting that BD players don't have HDMI outputs?

Or that Ethernet connections provide a better picture or some value besides video game support?

My read on what's in today's Los Angeles Times is that Paramount will execute its bail-out provision within 30 days, and that the reason they are not doing it right now is that an announcement so soon after the holidays would anger retailers by causing a lot of product returns.

apit34356 wrote on 1/9/2008, 2:46 PM
"My read on what's in today's Los Angeles Times is that Paramount will execute its bail-out provision within 30 days, and that the reason they are not doing it right now is that an announcement so soon after the holidays would anger retailers by causing a lot of product returns." this would cause a lot of added headaches, especially since most retailers have to paid a fee for credit card refunds, so they pay fees twice on a null transaction, which would serious affect overhead costs, product returns,etc.. Pushing Toshiba to the edge........
filmy wrote on 1/9/2008, 2:52 PM
Look you all can just try and talk to Brenda yourselfs -
brenda_ciccone (AT) paramount (DOT) com

And to answer the other questions - From CES yesterday -

""Because HD DVD is a standardized format and meets the spec guidelines mandated and approved by the DVD Forum, it provides a consistent platform for all applications of next generation high definition video such as mobile entertainment and makes it possible to enjoy HD DVD in a multitude of lifestyle settings," said Yoshi Uchiyama, Group Vice President America Digital A/V Group. "Whether as a standalone player for a home theater as a companion drive to the Xbox 360™ gaming machine or as an HD DVD-ROM drive for computers, HD DVD will be in many facets of consumers´ lives. As part of our vision for transitioning movie lovers to high definition, our goal is to extend HD DVD beyond the traditional home entertainment experience.""

[SNIP]

"Now when consumers connect their HD DVD player to the Internet via the standard Ethernet port on every player, they can stream new content or trailers, as available, directly from a movie studio´s server. "It´s exciting to see the studios bring HD DVD to life through new interactive features and Web-enabled network capabilities," said Uchiyama. "By consistently delivering unique entertainment experiences, we´re changing the world of movie watching and giving meaning to the HD DVD experience." Consumers have spoken, and data from Universal Home Video and Paramount and DreamWorks Animation SKG shows that an average of 30 percent of HD DVD owners have accessed Web-enabled network features and continue to do so regularly."

[SNIP]

"Toshiba´s third generation family starts with the entry level HD-A3 player featuring 1080i output capability. The other two new models, Toshiba´s HD-A30 and HD-A35, output 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080p), the highest HD signal currently available. Both models are capable of outputting signals at 1080p/24 frames per second so consumers can enjoy movies in their native frame rate. The HD-A30 and HD-A35 models also feature "REGZA® Link" (HDMI™-CEC), allowing two-way control between the HD DVD player and a TV through an HDMI connection."
apit34356 wrote on 1/9/2008, 3:06 PM
thanks filmy, but Brenda must follow the public position until it changes. I would prefer to talk to the corp lawyers and the boardroom---------- but an executive secretary or assistant prepping the docs for the "meeting" for planning strategic goals will work too.
Coursedesign wrote on 1/9/2008, 3:31 PM
So the HD DVD Ethernet port sounds like what's on Panny's DMP-BD50 BD player:

BD-Live will allow users to connect the DMP-BD50 to the internet to download such data as images and subtitles, and to join in multi-player interactive games that are linked to bonus movie content contained on Blu-ray discs.

The 1080p specs are the same for both formats, so it appears that the HD DVD compliance is with the guidelines of the "DVD Forum," God forbid that they should ever have to spread the Beluga caviar thinner on their Water Crackers... :O[~]

Frankly, my "lifestyle setting" would be compatible with either BD or HD DVD, as long as there is 1080p coming out of the jack-on-the-box...
apit34356 wrote on 1/9/2008, 3:45 PM
"spread the Beluga caviar thinner on their Water Crackers" This could real serious if we knew what "water Crackers" were! ;-) I guess the PCpolice will be checking our gear being used......... sounds like a nice new massive paperwork program waiting to be born........ surely, the international building code can add more of details for permits and inspectors----- and fines-----.
InterceptPoint wrote on 1/9/2008, 4:38 PM
Coursedesign - "Or that Ethernet connections provide a better picture or some value besides video game support?"

It seems obvious to me that one day we will all have a box in our entertainment system that is connected to both our home network and the Internet. PS3 does this and it is my current choice for that box. It plays Blu-Ray, streams a limited number of video formats, even some HD, streams audio, streams photos and includes a browser with admittedly limited capability.

Some day, hopefully soon, there will be no limitations on formats, we will be able to stream anything from anywhere and the browsers will be as good as Firefox 3. If Sony chooses to not support that idea (and they may not because of piracy concerns) then I will go buy some other black box that does.

In any case, none of this would be possible without an Ethernet connection. Every box I buy for my system must have an IP address. It is the future.
Coursedesign wrote on 1/9/2008, 7:09 PM
It's not clear to me why streaming from the internet should be coming in through the BD player??? It would seem that the receiver would be a more natural place for that, as it handles source switching already.

Say you hook up the internet to the BD player, and you're sitting there watching TV, and you want to watch something from the internet:

"Hmmm...lessee hereee...:

Step 1: Set Receiver Remote to Blu-Ray Input
Step 2: Put down Receiver Remote
Step 3: Pick up Blu-Ray Remote
Step 4: Select "Internet Input."

Alternative with the receiver having the Ethernet connection instead:

Step 1: Click the "Internet Input" button on the receiver and enjoy.

(The rest, selecting URLs or favorites on your 1080p or 2K screen would be the same in both cases.)

Btw, if it's hipness you're after, shouldn't you ask for a high class "Fibre Channel" connection instead of a common Ethernet plug :O)

"Water Crackers" are sold the world over, probably in more than 100 countries.

They are thin "biscuits," phenomenally delicious without anything on top, or with some pepper Brie, or other good cheese.

Trader Joe's has a great price on Water Crackers (as well as on cheeses and everything else they sell). Many people decide where to live based on where there are Trader Joe's stores, because of the truly unique quality and pricing of what they offer. Really. http://www.traderjoes.com/

Consumer warning: Severe addiction is common, enter TJ's stores at your own risk. :O)

blink3times wrote on 1/9/2008, 7:43 PM
"Alternative with the receiver having the Ethernet connection instead: "
==========================================================
Neat idea but it wouldn't fly.... at least not with movies. The studios want you to BUY the movie. That's what this downloading stuff is all about through bd or hd dvd players. You can already do this with HD DVD players, but the sites are not open to internet browsers or other connections.... only through the menu on the disk. I played around with it a little with the movie 300... although I can live with out it, I do have to admit it is kind of neat
apit34356 wrote on 1/9/2008, 8:15 PM
Nothing like a little "Fibre" in one's diet. Goes good with some good old Russian "fish eggs" and Water Crackers ;-)

---------- Fibre kicks butt( actually the wallet)! ;-) -------------
Spot|DSE wrote on 1/9/2008, 8:20 PM
Hate to tell you this, but you can *buy* the movie over the internet, too. Don't be so sure that Course isn't correct in a very broad sense. ;-)
Xander wrote on 1/9/2008, 8:49 PM
It's not about the movies, it about the merchandising. Watch a movie. A couple of clicks later and the T-shirts, etc arrive on your door stop.
Spot|DSE wrote on 1/9/2008, 8:54 PM
Now you got it. Java...ethernet connection. embedded websites.
Blu-ray can be a wonderful thing.