Comments

Spot|DSE wrote on 4/25/2006, 10:25 PM
here ya go.
Those that weren't at the party, you were missed. I'll leave it to others to comment, but I know I had a great time seeing so many old faces and new in the Vegas community.
p@mast3rs wrote on 4/25/2006, 10:32 PM
Way Cool. Now my kids have something to work for. I just created an after school program here called The Riverdale Multimedia and Film Society. Its an afterschool web design and film club. Definitely going to be cool. Next school year we are going to have the first ever film festival at my school (small 3-5 minute scripts written by English students and the like.)
rextilleon wrote on 4/26/2006, 5:34 AM
Pmasters---is that Riverdale as in Riverdale, NYC? I live close----
p@mast3rs wrote on 4/26/2006, 5:41 AM
Nope. Riverdale High School in Florida. I am closer to epirb, Vic Milt, and JetDV when he visits.
HHaynes wrote on 4/26/2006, 5:59 AM
If anyone's looking for someone to do music, sound design, and mix in 5.1, feel free to drop me a line. I don't know how many I can get in between now and the deadline, but it sounds like a hoot.
GmElliott wrote on 4/26/2006, 6:49 AM
It doesn't have to be edited on Vegas correct? In other words it's a mainstream contest?
kdm wrote on 4/26/2006, 7:53 AM
I'll also offer music, sound design and mixing in 5.1 on a first come first serve basis. I probably won't be able to enter the contest, but I would be happy to help out other Vegas forum members. Contact info is in my profile. Good luck folks - sounds like a fun contest and a nice prize!

Regards,
Dedric
GmElliott wrote on 4/26/2006, 12:09 PM
Dedric, I checked out your website- fantastic work indeed.
TimTyler wrote on 4/27/2006, 8:32 AM
A contest? That's it??

I went to the Sony Vegas booth first thing Monday morning. It was the same as last year; one guy, one computer, 3' x 3' booth. It was obvious that Sony cares no more about Vegas this year then they did last year.

"Excuse me." I said to the guy at the booth "Is there some life changing announcement that Sony is making regarding Sony Vegas?" The guy looked at me silently for a beat too long and then said "Not that I'm aware of." I asked if there was forthcoming support for DVCPRO-HD planned to which he responded "Not now. It's a tough thing to do. Maybe later this year."

I told him Spot had mentioned a 'life changing announcement' in this forum and he shrugged and suggested it might be the Sony soundtrack making software that's just been announced.

I was dissapointed and left.
apit34356 wrote on 4/27/2006, 8:41 AM
Dedric, very "clean" website, A++ in design and ease of use.
DavidMcKnight wrote on 4/27/2006, 9:34 AM
Ah, c'mon TimTyler... Spot's announcement was made at the vasst party, not at the Sony booth, and his exact quote here was "One of em' could positively change your life forever."

Well, if you win the contest it definitely could have an impact on your video career!

I don't think vasst or his annoucement should be combined with sony's smallish booth. I am a bit surprised though - but I didn't go - what was the Adobe Premiere booth like, for comparison purposes?

<edited for clarity>
David Abraham wrote on 4/27/2006, 10:11 AM
sorry you had to experience that... this time around I was definitely -not- expecting anything life changing by my definition.

winrockpost wrote on 4/27/2006, 3:50 PM
I think its a pretty cool contest, not life changing to all ,but may be to some people. I think these contests Spot and co. arranges are fun, they bring out a lot of creativity, and who knows , maybe someone will get noticed from this short, plus the theater gets a great deal, seem like a win win to me.
Jackie_Chan_Fan wrote on 4/27/2006, 4:03 PM
someone cue up the "wah wah" loser sound...

Life changing? :) No.
kdm wrote on 4/27/2006, 5:45 PM
GmElliot and apit34356 - thanks for the kind words and feedback!

Regards,
Dedric
Guy S. wrote on 4/27/2006, 6:55 PM
Ditto.

I had to ask three Sony reps where Sony Vegas software was being demonstrated before I found someone who knew who to ask. There was one Vegas demo workstation, and it was 12" from the Adobe Premiere workstation.

Vegas was being demoed by the product manager. According to him, a new release is due out in the fall. No support planned for JVC or Panasonic HD/HDV formats. No hardware support planned for realtime external monitor. No support for nVidia cards with breakout box for external SD/HD monitoring (540, 640, 1500). No plans for maintaining resolution when scaling (zooming in) via track motion.

Nothing new for DVD architect.

The only thing he could talk about was support for XD-CAM, which is already supported by Sony Xpri.

I left without asking all my questions. I got the very strong impression that Sony executives had inserted themselves into the development for this product, and I believe that their involvement is driving Vegas away from its key customer base.

I've grown to loathe Premiere over the years, but now Adobe has managed to out-Apple Apple in terms of inter-product integration, and considering Sony's development strategy wrt Vegas, I will likely switch back to Premiere within the next 12 months.
Spot|DSE wrote on 4/27/2006, 8:00 PM
Maybe not for you, no. For a 19 year old film student, or someone trying to get their name out there, I'd suggest it's quite possible that it could help them launch a career.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 4/27/2006, 9:24 PM
There wuld be for me. :)

I'd like to know if the winning entry could be also slown at the winner's local theature too. I know if I won I'd want all my friends/family/coworkers to see it & FL is a wee bit to far from NY for them to see. Plus we don't have any of those theatures around here. :)

Ironicly, those theatures look MUCH nicer then the Dipson & Regal ones up here & cost less (~$1/2 more expensive then the local movie theature).
Edward wrote on 4/28/2006, 4:11 AM
You know GS, i was dissapointed as well with Sony's 'seemingly' lack of support for Vegas. They would offer support for FCP5 with their XDCAM HD first before Vegas.

It sux when you walk in and see Avid's MEGANORMOUS SCREEN, FCP's HUGE-OLA demo booth, and PPro's GIGANTORAMOUS presentation, and see Vegas' tiny little squished booth, that really isn't about Vegas at all.

People that I talked to at the show ask me what I edit on, and I say Vegas, and they respond, "no, not where, what do you edit on?"

... not all, I'm just trying to make a point....

Edward wrote on 4/28/2006, 4:28 AM
Hey Doug,
Let's not limit that idea to a 19 year old film student. There's a few 30 somethings that could benefit (YES BENEFIT IT CAN, JACKIE CHAN FAN... hey that rhymed...) from this contest.

just thought i'd throw that in there...
jkrepner wrote on 4/28/2006, 7:07 AM
I sometimes wonder how long Vegas will be around, especially reading posts like GS's. I had the same experience last year at NAB: I walked around the Sony booth and didn't see any thing for Vegas and none of the reps knew where or what it was. Eventually one guy pointed to a little computer running Vegas sandwiched between a Premiere and an Avid workstations. WTF?

I'd be willing to bet Madison Media will get sold to another company. I hope it's a software company. Let's see... Avid? They bought everyone else.

On a side note, this looks pretty cool and could be a possible safe haven for those of us stuck hating Avid and Adobe...

speedEDIT
mountainman wrote on 4/28/2006, 9:29 AM
Sony's support of Vegas at NAB is AWFULL. All the other edit companies had huge displays, demo's going all the time, give aways, buzz. Sony, nada. I really enjoy this program and use it everday, but Sony does not seem to feel the same way.
If I was looking for a new edit program at NAB, I would not buy Vegas. Hell, it took 10 minutes to find the laptop that had the demo.
Vasst should buy Vegas. They promote the heck out of it.
JM
cheroxy wrote on 4/28/2006, 9:33 AM
Amen to Vasst buying Vegas. I doubt that they have the capital, but you know they have the drive, vision, market respect and love for the program.
jkrepner wrote on 4/28/2006, 10:41 AM
I use it every day too and would hate to see it go away. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I just don't feel there is any attention paid to Vegas. I still can't figure out why Sony purchased Sonic Foundry, I just can't for the life of me figure it out.