OT: The new video on SCS Homepage

Cliff Etzel wrote on 5/8/2008, 1:46 PM
Anyone checked out the new video on the SCS Homepage? Look like SONY has pulled off the gloves and has come out punching three ways - Hard, Fast, and Continuously!

It's about time SONY quit rolling over and conceding the market to apps that wannabe like SONY's ;-)

Way to go SCS!

Cliff Etzel - Solo Video Journalist
bluprojekt

Comments

jrazz wrote on 5/8/2008, 1:57 PM
I find it interesting that they are using vimeo to host the video on their home page. Hmm....

Great advert.

j razz
UKAndrewC wrote on 5/8/2008, 2:49 PM
Great advert for Sony software but not using Sony software?

Andrew
Steve Mann wrote on 5/8/2008, 3:18 PM
"Great advert for Sony software but not using Sony software?"

How do you know that it wasn't done in Vegas?
TheHappyFriar wrote on 5/8/2008, 7:23 PM
to many cool looking FX. It could be done in vegas but would be easier in a 3d app or something like After Effects/Borris.

Hope they did it in vegas though. :)
Terje wrote on 5/8/2008, 8:23 PM
How do you know that it wasn't done in Vegas?

Maybe because Vegas doesn't do flv?
CClub wrote on 5/8/2008, 8:33 PM
Aaah... how cool would it be if we could do some of those 3D, AE-type camera effects in Vegas?
NickHope wrote on 5/8/2008, 9:43 PM
That is interesting that they're using Vimeo. Sony used to own grouper.com didn't they? But now that redirects to crackle.com Maybe they'll buy Vimeo? I expect the general video hosting market will consolidate into YouTube plus a couple of other major players. Quite a few have already fallen by the wayside.
Houston Haynes wrote on 5/8/2008, 10:49 PM
...like their own Screenblast service...
John_Cline wrote on 5/8/2008, 11:16 PM
A fine spot indeed. Nicely done SCS marketing department.
RogerB1 wrote on 5/9/2008, 4:57 AM
Forgive me for not keeping up. SCS ? Homepage? please fill in for me.
Then I can look also. thanks

(I assume the first S is for Sony) I just know that when someone tells me I will feel like a idiot. :o)
TeetimeNC wrote on 5/9/2008, 5:12 AM
Roger, it is Sony Creative Software, the site you are on for these forums.

Jerry
scottbrickert wrote on 5/9/2008, 8:41 AM
Well done, for what it is.

It seems intuitively obvious that sellers of content creation tools would use those tools in creating content to sell them.

Why do we have so much print explaining/marketing/selling Vegas? Why isn't most of it in video form? IMO, Video is way more impactful than print for marketing this kind of product.

I don't really get the idea that the people who create our tools know how to use them.

If they did, why don't they strut their stuff on their own website, on behalf of selling their own products? Leave no doubt it was all done 100% with Sony tools.

BTW, when reading the Vimeo user agreement, I got the idea commercial content was prohibited. Wonder what's up.

Scott
UKAndrewC wrote on 5/9/2008, 10:01 AM
'How do you know that it wasn't done in Vegas'

I suppose I don't, but Vegas isn't the first place to go for 3D box shots.

In theory it could have been done in Vegas but it would take an awful lot of 3D tracks and a huge amount of time.

So I suppose I'm saying: 'I would bet that it wasn't created in Vegas' - if that helps ;-)

Andrew
Steve Mann wrote on 5/9/2008, 10:47 AM
"How do you know that it wasn't done in Vegas?

Maybe because Vegas doesn't do flv?"

Maybe Vimeo re-encodes everything to FLV?
MarkHolmes wrote on 5/9/2008, 11:02 AM
Yes, Vimeo does re-encode everything to FLV. You can submit in everything from WMV, MPG2, MP4, etc., they re-encode to FLV, in HD if that was what you submitted in. I love em. The trailer for our newest film, "Ready? OK!", edited entirely in Vegas 8 Pro, is hosted on Vimeo at www.vimeo.com/927437
ken c wrote on 5/9/2008, 12:02 PM
Quite surprising that a big company would use a free video-sharing type site instead of simply serving the flv from their own servers. And the video looks like it was done in Adobe After Effects, not their own software ... seems odd, since as a video producer the video has me thinking "how was that produced?" and the answer is a competitor's software product, AE. Nice looking video though. It could've been conceivably created in Vegas, with a lot of hours of track motion work though. Seems like it would do more to sell me on buying AE than any of the product/hero boxshots.

-k
Terje wrote on 5/9/2008, 11:39 PM
I would bet that it wasn't created in Vegas

I would bet that also. I don't think this says anything bad about Vegas though. You use the best tool for the job and creating 3D animated worlds (with boxes etc) is not what Vegas does best..
bigrock wrote on 5/10/2008, 1:25 AM
I did notice new box art for Cinescore in that clip, could there be a new version of Cinescore around the corner maybe.

BigRockies.com Your Home in the Rockies!