OT: This forum needs a ranking system.

Comments

John_Cline wrote on 4/9/2011, 10:57 PM
"Check out Grazie ..... then Bob (farss) !!"

OK, they each REALLY need to get a life! :-)
TeetimeNC wrote on 4/10/2011, 3:46 AM
>I'd like to see:

+1 for your suggestions - all good.

Also,

5) Greater participation from SCS personnel
6) Quick link to show only my posts so I can easily be sure I have responded to Qs or comments - I know I can click on my name but often my posts have scrolled off the first page.
7) Require fewer clicks to change to a different forum

/jerry

Grazie wrote on 4/10/2011, 3:58 AM
Thanks John, I have.

Just been to visit my 93 year old Dad, 20 miles away, and make him his Sunday breakfast; ensure I see him take his medication along with an additional antibiotic that's needed as result of a healed bladder cancer; ensure he has enough fridge food for the next couple of days; check that the carers are up to speed with his further medication and rearrange his bedroom.

I also make sure I have plenty of support too. And John, you figure very high on my list too.

Grazie

Chienworks wrote on 4/10/2011, 4:36 AM
crocdoc, read the sticky at the top of the thread list named "New Markup for Forum Posts". That will show you all the various codes used in this forum, including how to attach an image.
dibbkd wrote on 4/10/2011, 6:28 AM
i c e, I completely agree with you that this forum layout needs some kind of upgrade. It feels like it was made in 1995 and never touched since.

The problem is, I'm sure, is that someone at Sony way back then created this forum from scratch, and they are probably either gone or feel it is just fine.

It's certainly not a phpBB, Invisionzone Powerboard, yabb, etc.

The main "normal" forum feature I miss is the ability to subscribe to a thread for updates. I don't come here every single day, but there are threads I'd like to keep track of, and it's just a pain to have to try to find it later.

Anyway, looks like most of the folks here are happy with how things are, so I've just kind of accepted this is how it's gonna be.

It works, but that's about it. No bells and whistles.

I'm glad Sony didn't stop updating Vegas 5 back when it "just woked"...
AlanC wrote on 4/10/2011, 8:55 AM
Crocdoc, here's an easy way to embed images or video into this forum. http://dibbvids.com/linkcreatorLinkCreator [/link]
TheHappyFriar wrote on 4/10/2011, 11:41 AM
All the modern popular board software have issues with spammers. Doesn't matter how much is done about it. I'd rather have a "dated" board & no spammers.

Let's put it this way: this board always works. Other boards break down, get hacked, etc. Works vs pretty is always the better choice.
John_Cline wrote on 4/10/2011, 1:14 PM
I like the forum just the way it is. Unlike most other forum software, the layout is clean and very easy to read.
Grazie wrote on 4/10/2011, 1:39 PM
I'd like a Mobile version and a LinkCreator for me iphone4!

Grazie

John_Cline wrote on 4/10/2011, 1:58 PM
The Vegas forum is actually quite usable on my Android phone. Unfortunately, you can't post to the forum unless you're logged in and you can only be logged in from one machine at a time. I have to log on every time I surf from a different machine (or my phone) and want to post something. The forum didn't work this way years ago but then they changed from just a cookie to some sort of IP address logging, too.
Tim L wrote on 4/10/2011, 2:41 PM
@John Cline "and you can only be logged in from one machine at a time"

John, I'm pretty sure I have at least three different machines where I'm logged in all the time (two at home, one at my work). Two machines are Win7, one is Win XP, and all are using some version of Internet Explorer.

On the other hand, I probably haven't logged out of any of those machines in ages, so maybe if I did log out and tried to log back in I'd experience what you're seeing?
Grazie wrote on 4/10/2011, 7:35 PM
Yes it is usable, just. I'd like word-wrap within the frame. I'm having to finger scroll left-right-right-left. PITA.

Grazie

Chienworks wrote on 4/11/2011, 12:44 AM
Agreed. The fixed-width display is kinda hard on smartphone displays. It would be nice if the text would wrap to the size of the display device so that horizontal scrolling isn't necessary.

Other than that though, all the bells & whistles regularly mentioned pretty much always detract from a forum's usefulness. The simplicity of this forum is what makes it one of the best.
Rory Cooper wrote on 4/11/2011, 2:20 AM
Everything in this world works on a ranking system. The more you can break and destroy the higher the rank. So a blackbelt in Video editing can simultaneously ruin 3 video tracks and 6 audio. he can render them useless in seconds.
AlanC wrote on 4/11/2011, 3:46 AM
Rory "he can render them useless in seconds" that's a brilliant line. :-)

I am permanently logged in on 3 PC's and my laptop. Sometimes after cleaning out my cookies I have to log back in on one of the machines but never had a problem with that.
JJKizak wrote on 4/11/2011, 4:48 AM
The main question is who makes the evaluation that you are a dunce, mini guru, super guru, max guru, super max gigunda guru?
JJK
ushere wrote on 4/11/2011, 6:26 AM
dreamline?
i c e wrote on 4/11/2011, 7:13 PM
Obviously the mod's would have to build in an automatic ranking system, start at "newbie" (a possible idiot such as myself) and go up to like Über Guru (Bob, Ushere, Grazie, John Cline, DV (something)...ect)

The way you beat the just constant posting to advance in ranking, is you don't go just on posts, you also incorportate a rating system where people can read then rate the post... that way only people that post useful stuff go up.

Then if they want to make it really fun they make it so people who put up dumb stuff go down. :)

ice
John_Cline wrote on 4/11/2011, 7:24 PM
" It would be nice if the text would wrap to the size of the display device so that horizontal scrolling isn't necessary."

The browser on my Android phone will zoom in and word-wrap the posts on the forum, it makes it very usable. I just flick up and down to scroll.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 4/11/2011, 8:32 PM
The way you beat the just constant posting to advance in ranking, is you don't go just on posts, you also incorportate a rating system where people can read then rate the post... that way only people that post useful stuff go up.

I do that myself already: if you post crap I ignore what you say.
FilmingPhotoGuy wrote on 4/11/2011, 10:24 PM
If you look around in the forum you'll find many talents. Some are experts in lighting and dabble in editing others are experts in editing and play around with filming. Some, like me "try" filming, editing, audio and lighting and some things. You'll find you are better at some things over others. Also you would edit & film differently for a wedding than a documentary or an ad.

All the advice is here on this forum and I have learnt a lot.

Ever watch the movie credits scroll by? Soooo many thing to do.

Some ranked forums are run like Gestapo camps "A little power corrupts........."
Grazie wrote on 4/11/2011, 11:01 PM
Ranking for getting an answer? Why bother?

I've been using the SEARCH facility button here for 10 years. Hasn't worn out yet!

Grazie

Grazie wrote on 4/11/2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks John for the nudge!!! I just searched for an alternative to Safari. Oh my eye… what have I been missing in Safari.

Including increased font sizes in this newly d/l-ed Browser for my iPhone it has loads more too.

Cheers

Grazie

NickHope wrote on 4/12/2011, 12:40 AM
1) Automatic hyperlinks

All excellent suggestions. I'd also like to see:

- Subscriptions. i.e. Email alerts for replies to threads that one subscribes to.
- Splitting threads into separate pages when the post count reaches say 100 posts. These huge picture-laden threads can take a long time to load.

To be honest, if I was in charge I'd probably just switch the whole thing over to something like Vbulletin or Invision Power board, but it would be an absolute catastrophe if we ever lost the archive of old posts on the forum. I refer to it all the time.

One thing I've noticed with the forum is that search engine robots seem to largely ignore it. I rarely find a result from an SCS forum in Google.