OT: What's your default video player & why?

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/28/2015, 3:24 PM
Having recently upgraded across the board to Windows 8.1 on both the desktop and laptop in addition to moving to a Lumia 1520 as my mobile device I'm wondering if Windows Media Player is the preferred video player for checking my finished renders. I've run into some quirks with WMP with videos appearing with corrupted footage artifacts one day, then the next day appearing perfectly fine.

I loath Quicktime and have debated whether to install VLC as I'm wanting to keep my machines as pristine as possible from a maintenance standpoint (no third party codec packages like K-lite, etc).

Any thoughts?

Comments

NormanPCN wrote on 1/28/2015, 3:34 PM
If you want to be pristine, then VLC is an option. It is fully self contained.

Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic Home Cinema use installed codecs.
WMP uses all codec subsystems on Windows. Media Foundation, DirectShow and Video for Windows.
MPC HC uses DirectShow.

If you used a DirectShow player and installed DirectShow codecs these cannot conflict with Vegas as Vegas does not use DirectShow. Vegas 12/13 is mostly self contained excepting AVI (Video for Windows) and Quicktime.

I currently have VLC installed on my PC but for years I had MPC HC via the K-lite standard install. I think MPC HC is a better media player for a home theater situation due to its greater flexibility, bit on a work PC VLC is just fine.
Lovelight wrote on 1/28/2015, 4:10 PM
I use daplayer because the pause and rewind works better than vlc which glitches out if I pause etc.
wwaag wrote on 1/28/2015, 4:27 PM
I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) almost exclusively. It has a large number of "shaders" that can be applied, including Studio/Computer RGB conversions. For 1080 60P projects, I've been using XAVC/S as an intermediate at full scale (0-255). Using MPC-HC, I can preview on my TV after applying the Computer RGB to Studio RGB shader prior to final render. Plays well, even at relatively high bit rates. Keyboard shortcuts enable quick and very responsive playback control. I've only used VLC on those rare occasions, where a file would not render in MPC-HC. And finally Windows Media Player--almost never.

wwaag

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

riredale wrote on 1/28/2015, 4:36 PM
Zoom player here, because it has a very simple appearance but a sophisticated menu. For more feedback, do a search; topic was discussed in some detail last year.
rraud wrote on 1/28/2015, 4:45 PM
I prefer VLC, it plays back just about any format including <.iso> disc image files. All with good quality and w/o A/V sync issues. It also has lots of customizing options.
wwjd wrote on 1/28/2015, 4:53 PM
I test on many: order of used most to least:

1. VLC
1.5 PotPlayer seems almost as good as VLC, but it is too new to me to trust it
2. Windows Media Player
3. Windows Home Media Player Classic - or whatever it is called
4. Quicktime - almost NEVER look at this unless something doesn't open with the above

erm... I've noticed that the default of VLC plays with brightness elevated, and or Windows, plays back darker... not sure what that is all about yet, but it is confusing.
Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/28/2015, 5:19 PM
I've considered VLC Player as it seems to have the best reviews for a third party Player. I'm wanting it specifically for reviewing rendered videos on my desktop.

My reason for posting this question has to do with using the Handbrake script with Vegas Pro 13 v428. Using Handbrake 9.9 rendered out a video clip that was initially looking corrupted in the video signal yesterday and I had no idea why. The image quality was far superior to what I have been getting out of PPro CS6 and the render times were blazingly fast as well. Opened the same video file today in WMP and the video corruption appears to have disappeared.

Not sure why just yet. Any ideas?
musicvid10 wrote on 1/28/2015, 6:50 PM
WMP deinterlaces everything to Blend.
VLC has a variety of deinterlacers, including Bob and Yadif 2x (for 60p), except you have to set them every time. Default is no deinterlace.
Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/28/2015, 6:58 PM
As I haven't shot interlaced footage in over 5 yrs, my only concern is a reliable media player to review my renders before submitting them to the production houses I work with.

I shoot Canon DSLR footage presently and have my sights on getting a couple of SONY A7s bodies to replace them later this year to use with my Nikon MF prime lens kit.
Andy_L wrote on 1/28/2015, 8:04 PM
I like WMP (1) because it's already on the machine and (2) because it's what your non-expert (ie everybody else) user is using. There is a certain logic to making things look right on what your users are using. This does break down when WMP doesn't automatically work with certain codecs.

+1000 votes for the A7s -- it is an extraordinary tool provided you can live with the rolling shutter
john_dennis wrote on 1/28/2015, 8:47 PM
Like Andy_L, I use Windows Media Player because it's there.

This is the version I use on Windows 7 Professional:

I usually push the video to a Sony TV or a Blu-ray player attached to other TVs:

When I'm just watching for entertainment, I navigate from the TV to the system where the shared content resides and play from there.

A note of caution.
Always check with your wife before you push something you think she really should see. She may really be absorbed in that episode of Gunsmoke.
Steve Mann wrote on 1/28/2015, 10:14 PM
VLC - it plays everything.
ushere wrote on 1/28/2015, 10:39 PM
1 wmp - as andy wrote - it's installed by default and used by any non-tech pc user, which most of my viewers are ;-)

2 vlc - plays anything i throw at it
PeterDuke wrote on 1/28/2015, 11:54 PM
For DVDs and straight video files (no menu) I prefer Media Player Classic - Home Cinema because it plays HD a bit more smoothly than some others on lower powered machines, and is reasonably quick and simple to use.

For BDs with menus and possibly with copy protection, I normally use Cyberlink PowerDVD. No free player will play a BD menu as far as I know.
NormanPCN wrote on 1/29/2015, 12:13 AM
I prefer Media Player Classic - Home Cinema because it plays HD a bit more smoothly than some others on lower powered machines

+1 on that. My Nettop PC (Atom CPU, Ion GPU) I use to play my HD videos on my TV, only works with MPC-HC and this is with hardware DXVA playback in use.
Laurence wrote on 1/29/2015, 6:37 AM
>erm... I've noticed that the default of VLC plays with brightness elevated, and or Windows, plays back darker... not sure what that is all about yet, but it is confusing.

Yes, you are not going mad, but dig a little deeper and you will notice that VLC doesn't change the levels of every video, just some. In fact, you will find that VLC changes the levels on exactly the same video formats that Vegas does!

If you look at some of my older posts, you will notice that I have been complaining for quite some time now that on certain (mostly but not exclusively MOV) formats, Vegas will stretch the video levels from 16-235 to 0-255. That in these cases, it is not that the video is in the cRGB range, it's just that Vegas unnaturally stretches the levels to make it behave that way.

What you are noticing is that VLC does this same stretch. It's only on certain formats. It's mostly but not exclusively on MOV formats. For instance, VLC will stretch the levels on my Nikon D5100 mov footage and on the MOV formats from my Panasonic GH3, but it will not stretch the levels from AVCHD formats from the GH3.

Whatever codecs are built into VLC are making the same range adjustments (errors) that Vegas is making.
JJKizak wrote on 1/29/2015, 7:56 AM
OK, I gotta know. What's VLC? I use Nero Showtime.
JJK
Chienworks wrote on 1/29/2015, 8:21 AM
VLC = http://www.videolan.org/

I use Windows Media Player 'because it's there', for almost everything.
About the only exception is when i watch .MP4 files i've created on my old XP desktop as WMP won't play them, so i use VLC for that. The only reason i don't use VLC more often is because it's dog slow starting up.
Kit wrote on 1/29/2015, 10:04 AM
I don't like VLC - I find the interface cumbersome and annoying. I much prefer MPC-BE a version of Media Player Classic. I use it on both Windows 7 and 8. It runs without the need to install anything. I've never liked Windows Media Player and it's always one of the first things I look to remove.
OldSmoke wrote on 1/29/2015, 10:32 AM
@Kit

Oh, I like that one! I just installed it and plays back my 4K XAVC-S files too; WMP cant. I also don't like VLC for the same reasons despite all its options.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

BruceUSA wrote on 1/29/2015, 11:08 AM
I don't like VLC, sure it play everything you throw at it but it will freeze if you try to rewind the video. I like wmp and I just tried MPC-BE and it is nice and I like it. Thkaks to KIT.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

John222 wrote on 1/29/2015, 11:08 AM
VLC - It plays everything !
Byron K wrote on 1/29/2015, 12:44 PM
Default player is Windows Media Player. I use WMP to review videos I make because it's the player on every Windows PC. But WMP doesn't play some video formats so for everything else VLC.
wwaag wrote on 1/29/2015, 12:49 PM
@kit

Just tried MPC-BE. Unlike MPC-HC, it does NOT have capability for shaders--hence, no levels conversion options such as Computer RGB to Studio RGB and vice-versa as well as a host of other options. Seems to be a scaled-down version of MPC-HC.

wwaag

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.