Comments

efiebke wrote on 6/29/2004, 9:48 PM
Initial of first name, Edward ("E") and my last name, Fiebke.

I use this UserName for almost all bulletin boards that I visit. It's easy to remember. . .

:)

Ted
AlistairLock wrote on 6/29/2004, 11:56 PM
When I first joined this forum I used Salv_D which is short for Salvador Dalek, my, er, Dalek.

I while ago I just started using my first name on the forum, and my Dalek now lives behind my friend's sofa, as there isn't room for him in my studio.
tapeless wrote on 6/30/2004, 1:20 AM
I have had a home recording studio for several years. First started out multitracking audio with a Fostex B-16 tape machine. Then later graduated to ADATs, and now use an ADAT HD24 hard drive recorder which is....tapeless.
Fleshpainter wrote on 6/30/2004, 1:24 AM
fleshpainter.com explaines it all.
AlanC wrote on 6/30/2004, 1:27 AM
Curious about "Grazie" and dare I say it "ZippYGaloo"

My handle used to be "BigAl" because friends gave me that nickname but as the years rolled on "BigAl" lost a couple of inches in height so when I joined this forum I thought AlanC would be more appropriate.

Alan Collinge
cbrillow wrote on 6/30/2004, 6:30 AM
My employer's IT department mandates first initial & the first 7 letters of the last name as a username, hence cbrillow. I have several areas of interest, too much time on my hands, and participate in several forums, administer 4 websites, etc. Basically, I didn't want to have to remember 39 different user IDs, so I appear as cbrillow in disparate internet forums.

I do have a handle that would probably be used, except it's tied to a Hotmail account that long ago became a spam magnet, so I rarely us it anymore. The handle is DJ Frisat. It was inspired by the sign on a local bar that features a disk jockey playing music on weekends: DJ Fri Sat
InterceptPoint wrote on 6/30/2004, 6:53 AM
In a former life as a working engineer I designed microwave amplifiers for a living. The term intercept point is used to quantify the linearity of a Class A or Class AB amplifier and is shown graphically on a plot of power out versus power in dB. I'm pretty sure that usage is limited to the RF world since I personally have not seen it used by the audio guys.

To determine the intercept point of an amplifier you plot the output levels for the fundamental and the two tone third order intermodulation products as a function of the drive power. You then draw a projection of the fundamental and intermod values on the plot and the point where they intersect is called the intercept point. Higher power amplifiers have higher intercept points and so it is a measure of the maximum linear range of the amplifier..

Why did I pick it? Who knows?
AlanC wrote on 6/30/2004, 6:57 AM
>To determine the intercept point of an amplifier you plot the output levels for the fundamental and the two tone third order intermodulation products as a function of the drive power. You then draw a projection of the fundamental and intermod values on the plot and the point where they intersect is called the intercept point. Higher power amplifiers have higher intercept points and so it is a measure of the maximum linear range of the amplifier..<

Well we ALL knew that ;~)
bStro wrote on 6/30/2004, 8:06 AM
I needed a new handle last year when I signed up at AcidPlanet.com -- one of my favorite bands was holding a remix contest there. For my usual handle, I was using my iniitials at the time, but I wanted something a bit different -- so I turned to using my last name. <g> After putzing around for a while, I simply switched the syllables of my lastname (Strobbe) and came up with bStro.

It has two happy side effects: First, 'bStro' (bistro) kind of implies creativity. Second, it (hopefully) encourages people to realize that my lastname is pronouced STRO-BEE, and not STROBE. ;-) When Is started doing more multimedia-type-stuff and participating in online forums related to it, I decided bStro would be a good alterego for that area of my life.

Rob
bStro wrote on 6/30/2004, 8:12 AM
Your friend could've told the IRS that is name is Arby.

Or maybe not.

Rob
cheroxy wrote on 6/30/2004, 10:33 AM
Cheroxy,
Che is an argentine word that means dude.
Roxy is from the hot roxy swimwear that my wife wears and looks GOOD in. When we were first married I needed a logon name for both of us and combined the two into cheroxy.
later
jwall wrote on 6/30/2004, 10:34 AM
Jon Wallin

jwall

sort of simple, no?

cacher wrote on 6/30/2004, 10:41 AM
Well, I'm a big geocaching (GPS stash hunt) fan, so that means I'm a geocacher, or "cacher" for short.
PigsDad wrote on 6/30/2004, 12:01 PM
I used to have a potbellied pig as a pet, and my handle (PigsDad) came from that timeframe. So far, I haven't ran into a site where that handle was taken, so it has worked out well.

I now have a 3 y.o. daughter, so I may have to change it if she is offended. :-)

Kurt
dvdude wrote on 6/30/2004, 12:04 PM
Started when I bought my first DV camera and the 12 months of hell I experienced trying to get Pinnacle Studio DV to work. "DV" was everywhere and I couldn't resist the temptation to use it in my ID. I was on Pinnacle's forums pretty much every day so I just got used to typing it. That got extended to my email account when I switched to broadband, though someone beat me to it when I eventually got a Yahoo account so I became "deeveedude" over there.

Interesting thread BTW, some of the explanations given don't come close to what I'd imagine them to be...

Andy
pike_bishop wrote on 6/30/2004, 1:35 PM
Pike Bishop is one of the main characters in "The Wild Bunch" a favourite film of mine.

Martin
Opampman wrote on 6/30/2004, 2:41 PM
After leaving the Hollywood rat race as a Director of Photography, I formed a company making custom audio equipment for the film industry and much of it was built around op amp circuitry - hence - OPAMPMAN.
MyST wrote on 6/30/2004, 2:54 PM
M>Mario
y> filler vowel
S> middle name
T> family name

Wish I could say it was from a life altering event that occured in my life, but sadly, it just isn't.
When I first registered to participate in the Acid forum, it asked for a username. That's what I quickly came up with since I wanted to post something.
Hopefully, inspirations will be of a higher quality once I start making films.

Mario
corug7 wrote on 6/30/2004, 3:25 PM
cor: Short for Corey, my name
rug: rugby, my favorite sport
7: positions are numbered in rugby, and this was the first position I played (and my favorite), flanker, or as the uninitiated say here in the US, the guy on the side of the thing.
stormstereo wrote on 7/1/2004, 2:13 PM
Stormstereo is from an old vinyl album by "White Noise". It was back when stereo was "the new thing". On the back of the cover it reads: "Some sounds you cannot hear, but they reach you, in Storm Stereo." We named our old band after it and then it just stuck.
Best/Tommy
Chanimal wrote on 7/1/2004, 3:04 PM
Chanimal stands for Channel Animal - a nickname I picked up for launching 400 plus high-tech products into the reseller channel for apx. 150 vendors (Microsoft, Adobe, Aldus, Novel, IBM, Intel, Sony, Canon, Lotus, etc.).

I also have a 9 year old website called, "Chanimal - The Ultimate Resource for Software Marketing" at www.chanimal.com

Ted Finch
Chanimal.com

Windows 11 Pro, i9 (10850k - 20 logical cores), Corsair water-cooled, MSI Gaming Plus motherboard, 64 GB Corsair RAM, 4 Samsung Pro SSD drives (1 GB, 2 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB), AMD video Radeo RX 580, 4 Dell HD monitors.Canon 80d DSL camera with Rhode mic, Zoom H4 mic. Vegas Pro 21 Edit (user since Vegas 2.0), Camtasia (latest), JumpBacks, etc.

Jessariah67 wrote on 7/2/2004, 7:03 AM
I made up "Jessariah" a long time ago as the subject of a song. I liked it because it sounded biblical/ancient. The song turned into a (bad) rock opera. Jessariah was then the name of the protagonist in the first novel I wrote. I later used it as a pen name for a political opinion site I had for a couple of years. Now, I use it as a handle.
wethree wrote on 7/2/2004, 7:39 AM
wethree refers to my daughter, wife and me. When I first signed onto the internet, I thought the name you came up with was sposed to be used by everyone using that computer. D'oh.

Kinda just ended up liking the reminder of the all of us, later on. But now that we've picked up a Pug--

I've considering changing to wethreeandapugthatsomehowthinkstakingadumpinthekitchensok.

nice thread.
ClipMan wrote on 7/4/2004, 5:39 AM
... I'm a barber...