Comments

PixelStuff wrote on 10/11/2006, 2:02 AM
One step closer to perfection.
Grazie wrote on 10/11/2006, 2:06 AM

It's about the "Road Travelled". It is not about arriving!

dannyoneill wrote on 10/11/2006, 3:42 AM
AC3 encoding fixed which is a major bonus, no more export as wav, copy to virtual PC, encode in vegas 6 and copy back, direct from 7b now, lightning fast.
MRe wrote on 10/11/2006, 5:35 AM
"no more export as wav, copy to virtual PC, encode in vegas 6 and copy back, direct from 7b now, lightning fast. "

So 7b screwed up your well defined workflow. Oh well, you can't satisfy everybody. ;)
Zion wrote on 10/11/2006, 6:35 AM
Still Have'nt fixed the Cineform Version 2.1 Issue.
DigVid wrote on 10/11/2006, 7:09 AM
Vegas 7.0b still seems to run Sanyo HD1 MPEG4 and WMV vids very slow and clunky as compared to Vegas 6.0d.

I hope they get this fixed as I like to work with WMV 720p and smaller.
Yoyodyne wrote on 10/11/2006, 8:15 AM
"Still Have'nt fixed the Cineform Version 2.1 Issue."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Spot|DSE wrote on 10/11/2006, 8:35 AM
It's not Sony's responsibiltity to fix CineForm products. All Sony can do is provide an API and CineForm comes up with whatever they do. Just like the BlackMagic and other third party tools. Sony says "Hey, we changed this...." and it's up to third parties to get up to speed. VASST had 40 products to update; while it wasn't a party, it got done. Other third parties such as Pixelan, New Blue, and Velvet Matter had to do the same.
Jayster wrote on 10/11/2006, 8:48 AM
I don't think it's quite that simple, Spot. If I understand correctly, Cineform provided a codec and API for Sony, not the other way around. Regardless, the Cineform codec is a built-in part of Vegas (from the user's perspective) that gets distributed as a Vegas feature. That's a big difference from being a completely external, outside 3rd party plugin (as are the VASST products you mentioned).

Playback of the Cineform codec is slower for all Vegas 7 users, not just the ones who bought Cineform's HD Connect. If people buy Vegas 7 and the "out of box" solution suffers compared to the previous version, those users look at who delivered the product to them (Sony). And anyway, Sony really pushed and touted the use of the Cineform codec as a workflow solution. Now they've got customers hooked on it, and they've effectively downgraded their performance with it. Was this an oversight or a marketing decision? We don't know. But we are disappointed.

And yes, Cineform has a role in this too. They knew that Sony was coming out with a new release of Vegas. And what did they do to prepare for it? Apparently nothing. They reacted quickly, but there was nothing proactive about their actions.

Hopefully both companies will respond to the needs of their customers and work together to improve the situation.
Wolfgang S. wrote on 10/11/2006, 10:09 AM
I think they will fix that - but it seems to take more time, compared to what was possible for 7b.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

Cliff Etzel wrote on 10/11/2006, 10:33 AM
What amazes me is that they have already released two updates in what amounts to a month after the release - try getting that out of Avid, Adobe, etc....

Kudo's to the software guys in Madison!!! :)
Yoyodyne wrote on 10/11/2006, 12:58 PM
Oh, sorry :) Dont get me wrong - Vegas and the madison guys are absolutely amazing! It's almost creepy how the progression of the software has mirrored my own needs - When I first started using it I always figured I would have to migrate to some big hardware system at some point.

Now with Vegas 6, Cineform and my Dell 2405 I can show clients full res/ full framerate HD in all it's jaw dropping glory! On a fairly inexpensive home built computer! I get guys coming in from huge money FCP and Avid suites and my little set up looks just like the big boys.

I'm sure the V7/Cineform thing will get figured out - the developers of this software rock! But for full HD preview I'm still using V6 for right now -
David Arbogast wrote on 10/11/2006, 1:41 PM
Jayster wrote on 10/11/2006, 1:43 PM
So far I too am happy with V7, and I'm really interested in the tie-in with Cinescore (which I purchased in the bundle deal).

For now I'm using the "takes" feature to switch between .m2t and CFDI for playback vs. render. It's not frame-accurate, though. Converting from one to the other slides the audio a bit and the video too (by about a frame or so). Nonetheless, it's working ok and I love the faster playback with .m2t. In my earlier posting I simply wanted to express that I hope both parties (Sony and Cineform) take an interest to fix the issues with CFDI playback, as they should (based on customer need). And I too trust that this will happen.
Jonathan Neal wrote on 10/11/2006, 5:20 PM
Did anyone else encounter bizarrely slow downloads from the server for both apps?
dibbkd wrote on 10/11/2006, 6:01 PM
My download of Vegas 7.0b was pretty speedy, I didn't take note of the exact speed, but it seemed to only take about 5 minutes to download 138MB file.
That_Kid wrote on 10/11/2006, 8:21 PM
My Vegas download was fast<5min but the other downloads are at dialup speeds.
TLF wrote on 10/11/2006, 11:39 PM
Vegas downloaded in just a couple of minutes, but DVDA was taking so long that I terminated the download and tried again. Then it was a super fast download.

Worley.
Serena wrote on 10/11/2006, 11:50 PM
>>bizarrely slow downloads

Absolutely! 4KB/s.
newhope wrote on 10/12/2006, 1:48 AM
Serena .. ditto
I've bailed the download twice so far yet the DVDA4 download was reasonable at around 158K on average...

My thought s,if I have any, some time next week at the current download speed.

Stephen Hope
New Hope Media
PeterWright wrote on 10/12/2006, 1:51 AM
This has happened to me a few times - I've stopped the download and started again, and usually it restarts at a decent speed again - sometimes it takes two or three goes.

I guess it depends on exactly how busy the site is at the moment you begin, but that is just a guess ...
Grazie wrote on 10/12/2006, 1:59 AM
If you Galz and Guyz aint using this FREE Download Manager give it a whirl! - It is free . . .
Jonathan Neal wrote on 10/12/2006, 5:17 AM
Grazie, if you use Mozilla Firefox, I might also recommend Flashget and the Flashgot Firefox Plug-in combo. Free and ultra-handy.

I haven't actually encountered any of the fixes or enhancements of v7.0b, so I've been relatively quiet on that subject, however, I think we can all appreciate the robustness of this update (roughly 30 notable fix/changes?). That's almost 1 notable change per day since the release of 7.0a; very impressive.
Wes C. Attle wrote on 10/12/2006, 6:22 AM
V7 is just like Vegas 6.0d, but with HDV scene detection...

I accidentally started a small project in V6 this week. It took me three days to notice that it was not V7. In fact, I am going to read the "what's new in V7" post now, because I can't really tell the difference for my every day Joe editing habits.