Comments

johnmeyer wrote on 3/28/2015, 11:58 AM
As long as you keep resample for each event set to "smart" (which is the default), Vegas will convert the frame rate from 25 to 29.97 fps. However, the interpolated frames will be soft.

I expect that After Effects and other similar programs may have a PAL-->NTSC conversion feature, but if you want free, I have used Nick Hope's "ultimate" tutorial many times, including just last week, and it works incredibly well:

Perfectionists' PAL<=>NTSC Conversion
SecondWind-SK wrote on 3/28/2015, 12:44 PM
Thanks, John. I'll check it out. Quick look leads me to believe that the focus on SD. But I seem to recall Nick shoots HD. I'll look more carefully before I ask more questions. Maybe wait to hear what kind of footage I am likely to get from the client.
johnmeyer wrote on 3/28/2015, 3:36 PM
Quick look leads me to believe that the focus on SD. But I seem to recall Nick shoots Yes, the script posted in that thread is indeed for SD because it includes a re-size statement to take care of the fact that standard definition NTSC and PAL are not only different frame rates, but also slightly different pixel sizes and aspect ratios.

With HD, you only need to change the frame rate because both 25 and 29.97 fps HD video is 1920x1080. No re-size is needed.

So, in that script which Nick gave in the first post in that thread, just delete the Spline36Resize line from whichever script you use, and also change the AssumeBFF() to AssumeTFF() because HD video is top field first, whereas SD video is bottom field first. Try it on a short (10-15 second) video clip and see what you think. I just delivered some UK PAL video of the 1972 Olympics in NTSC format to a sports film collector who is extremely picky, and he was entirely satisfied with the result (and so was I).

If Nick has anything more to add, I'm sure he'll chime in, if he happens to be reading this.
SecondWind-SK wrote on 3/28/2015, 6:56 PM
Great info. Thanks. Still waiting to see what kind of video the client is going to provide.
SecondWind-SK wrote on 3/28/2015, 6:57 PM
Great info. Thanks. Still waiting to see what kind of video the client is going to provide.
Chienworks wrote on 3/28/2015, 7:22 PM
"As long as you keep resample for each event set to "smart" (which is the default), Vegas will convert the frame rate from 25 to 29.97 fps. However, the interpolated frames will be soft."

Just my completely other opinion, but i far prefer to set resample to 'disable'. You'll end up doubling every 5th frame which can cause some very slight jerkiness, but it's nearly unnoticeable. I find it far, far less objectionable than the soft, ghosted frames. I suggest you try a few seconds each way and see which you prefer.
johnmeyer wrote on 3/28/2015, 11:21 PM
Kelly,

Take a look at this new thread I started:

Another nasty, latent Vegas rendering bug

Once I turned off resample, I was unable to get PAL SD video to render to NTSC SD without getting really nasty field reversal. The video was completely unusable. I spent two hours troubleshooting, with four different versions of Vegas.

It is a bug.

So, turning off resample does not work for this situation and should be avoided until and unless Sony fixes what looks like a long-standing bug (goes back to Vegas 7, at least, and is still present in Vegas 13).
NickHope wrote on 3/29/2015, 12:45 AM
There are a number of scripts posted on the thread the John linked to. One might be suitable, or you might be able to adapt them to your particular situation.

When you know exactly what footage you have, and exactly what output you want to create, let us know and I'll post an appropriate script here (if one is needed).
PeterDuke wrote on 3/29/2015, 3:10 AM
"HD video is top field first, whereas SD video is bottom field first"

DV AVI is certainly BFF, but SD can also be TFF in certain circumstances. Use Mediainfo to check what your source actually is.
johnmeyer wrote on 3/29/2015, 10:20 AM
I always test every clip I receive from unknown sources, and don't ever rely on Mediainfo. Don't get me wrong, it is a good tool, but all it knows is the flag in the header. I have seen video encoded with the field order reversed from what was reported in the header.

SecondWind-SK wrote on 3/29/2015, 10:48 AM
Nick Hope: Script. A very generous offer. Thanks.
johnmeyer wrote on 3/29/2015, 6:28 PM
Just my completely other opinion, but i far prefer to set resample to 'disable'. You'll end up doubling every 5th frame which can cause some very slight jerkiness, but it's nearly unnoticeable. I find it far, far less objectionable than the soft, ghosted frames. I suggest you try a few seconds each way and see which you prefer.I had originally intended to upload the original clip along with three conversions just after Kelly posted this, but I got sidetracked with that field reversal bug.

However, I figured out how to do what Kelly suggested -- use repeated fields ("pulldown") instead of smart resample, so I now have all three PAL-->NTSC conversions:

1. Conversion using Vegas' Smart Resample.
2. Conversion using traditional pulldown (equivalent to Vegas' "Disable Resample.").
3. Conversion using Nick Hope's script.

I also have included the original, unaltered PAL clip. You can play these or put them on the Vegas timeline and then do the comparisons. In Vegas, remember to match Project Properties to the media, and also set preview quality to Best Full.

Remember that you are looking at interlaced material, so if you freeze on a single frame, you will see both fields (when using Best Full) which will give you herringbone patterns, since you are seeing fields from two points in time. This is normal and says nothing at all about the relative merits of the conversions.

The best thing is to use the best media player you have, play each clip, and look especially at sharpness and detail, and also at the smoothness as the camera pans horizontally and as the gymnast makes his leap. Look at hands and feet for artifacts that aren't in the original.

Here is a link to a zip file:

PAL to NTSC Examples, With Original Clip