Rendered Audio buzzing

Rastaman694 wrote on 8/11/2016, 11:49 PM
Hi All,

I recently picked up Movie Studio 13 Platinum to make some youtube videos. Every time, however, that I try to render out a video with voice overs, I get a weird buzzing noise in the voice over. It is not recording like that and the preview sounds fine. I also tried recording with other programs and they all sound fine when exported. Only movie studio has this issue, which leads me to believe it's something in the settings. Any ideas on what to try?

Comments

Steve Grisetti wrote on 8/12/2016, 7:30 AM
Have you checked your audio levels using the meters in the program to make sure you aren't overmodulating?

Can you post a link to a sample of this video so we can hear the buzzing? There are many different kinds of buzzing and many different causes.
Rastaman694 wrote on 8/12/2016, 7:52 AM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByzYD40-sL9WSVBCUU9RV3ZNUmM

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByzYD40-sL9WWk55dnhMaGNDa3M

One is recorded using audacity and the other with movie studio with the same input levels.
Former user wrote on 8/12/2016, 8:45 AM
Audacity is recorded as 44.1k MONO and Music Studio is recorded as 48k Stereo.
Need to compare apples to apples first.
Rastaman694 wrote on 8/12/2016, 12:21 PM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByzYD40-sL9WSG14aExpeEEtVlE

That was recording using 48k stereo. Sorry, I'm still pretty new to this.

It seems like it sounds a lot better when I'm using my speakers for playback rather then a headset, but again it's only after the sound is rendered.
mike_in_ky wrote on 8/12/2016, 1:22 PM
Do you by any chance have a mixer connected to your computer via USB, but you are recording with a microphone connected to your computers sound board via 1/8 inch phono plug?

When I try recording in this way, I get the high pitched buzz. So, I don't record that way anymore, I plug my mics into my mixer and transfer via USB and not with my sound board via 1/8 inch phono plug.
DocSatori wrote on 8/12/2016, 2:54 PM
On my computers, I've had 'buzzing' for a variety of reasons. But, when MIKE IN NY wrote about the USB connection, that reminded me, that one of the best ways I've found is to try removing USB connections. I've had bluetooth doggles, USB connected fans (even when they're not on), phone chargers and similar always causing buzzing. Start by removing the USB devices that don't have the little 'cylinder' in the cord from your computer. Another frequent source of interference for me was from mic cables passing too close to my computer case, anything with electric motors or masses of other cables. Try isolating your mic and its cables from such interference.

That said, if the 'buzzing' is at a constant low level frequency/amplitude, they can easily be filtered with almost any audio editing application including SoundForge. Look for some basic videos online for how to sample and mute these types of 'buzzing.'
UKharrie wrote on 8/18/2016, 7:20 PM
OP, Can you say:- is this buzz completely absent on the audio track you recorded? ( Ie Mute all else by using "Solo" ( LH Track-controls )... prior to Rendering...?
Yr comments re headphones/speakers is slightly disturbing.

My own "method" FWIW..... is to use a PalmTrack hand-held SDHC Audio recorder ( Like "Zoom" ) and then in Sound-Forge Studio ( part of the SMS package ), I can boost/cut levels and remove any stutters, etc.
Once on the SMSv12 Time-line I use S=Split to move the necessary pieces to the right places.

Can't say I've noticed any buzz after Rendering ( or before ).
I bought a tie-clip mic to remove handling-noises and this helps maintain levels should I turn my head . . . . but the start of sentences can be a few dB louder than the endings . . . . . hence the need to make adjustments.
SMSv12
BTW I also use the Insert / Audio / Volume - which can boost/cut the Volume at will, but it's rather tricky when many changes are needed . . . . another feature that needs some improvement (ie a re-think of the Interface) - - esp. if you ever use Auto-Ripple, which can create odd effects, if I don't notice.

You could try "recording" no-sound ( either with Mic-in -or- disconnected ). This might help pin-point the source of the Buzz . . . but USB should not affect Audio.
Finally - does this Buzz affect Music files you import? ie those that were clean to start with and are only "files". I would expect you will know if you are overloading the audio - my meters show red from about minus2dB - but in practice this is far too high a level for anything considered "normal" as speech contains significantly spikey parts, but I doubt even these would be described as buzzing . . . . but there isn't a clear Term either. I set audio to about minus 9dB so the spikes are well within the capabilities of the A/D conversion chips.( Or should that be D/A chips . . . ?).
IMHO Some YT material is far too loud, resulting in hearing difficulties, even when turned-down,- since the digital damage is already present.

Good luck